Parasites - What to use to clean food?

Hi Everyone,

So I posted a while ago down and discouraged because I was not feeling so well after a few months on this diet. Well, now I know why! My doctor had a GI panel run and I have c. difficile and cryptosporidium. The c. difficile may have been related to contaminated food or water but more likely came on after I was on antibiotics this last winter. The cryptosporidium, on the other hand, is more likely from food or water and my doctor mentioned that there had been recent outbreaks across the country and the current theory was that it MIGHT be from Central American produce. I haven't been outside of the country or eating any odd things or even swimming in any lakes or rivers around here. This summer I was in the ER because of severe dehydration from the onset of cryptosporidium (I have a compromised immune system from lupus, so it hit me harder than most in the beginning). Since then, I've had pretty typical symptoms, but just thought it was lupus flaring up.

Well, I'm thrilled it's not lupus, but now it's pretty obvious that rinsing all fruits and veggies and scrubbing those with tougher skins just is not cutting it! Do people use natural products to kill what's crawling around on our food? Does white vinegar kill these types of parasites? I'm going to do some online research, but was hoping some of you wonderful people might already be using products you enjoy and trust.

Thanks!

Comments

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

bump. never showed up.

• Hi,

Yes, eating parasites and other harmful bacteria is a major problem with eating rawfoods. I personally have been using an all natural fruit & vegetable rinse product since 1998 which kills the bad stuff that comes with organic produce. The product is very good and is made by an herbal food company called Sunrider International. I posted a little bit of information and linked an audio recording on my blog: http://liteguru.posterous.com/clean-foods-for-clean-living-by-aadilpalkhiva

The products has other uses for killing germs. I consume it if I get food poisoning, rinse my mouth with it, put it on body cuts, gargle if I feel I caught a germ and etc...

If you'd like more information contact me (Chad) at liteguru@gmail.com

Thanks

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

I rinse my vegetables with a solution of water and vinegar. Vinegar kills bacteria on contact, so it works very well well.

• malchusmommalchusmom Raw Newbie

vinegar and water.

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

Hi, I must say i'm not that clean with my food, I get the sand out and put it in my blender thats pretty much all. So far no food poison or other nasty stuff. Are parasites or bacteria not part of life and off course part of your food. A healthy body could cope with some bacteria??

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

Hi, I must say i'm not that clean with my food, I get the sand out and put it in my blender thats pretty much all. So far no food poison or other nasty stuff. Are parasites or bacteria not part of life and off course part of your food. A healthy body could cope with some bacteria??

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Yes RawEverything, small amounts of bacteria and parasites are all around us. People with normal immune systems aren't affected drastically and often beat them on their own. People with autoimmune diseases can be more drastically affected - knocked on my backside really. Autoimmune diseases are frustrating - you can be in remission and still get hit with bugs that most normal people fight off or only experience symptoms for a day or two. Such is life :) My husband was exposed to the exact same foods and water during this time period and hasn't had a single symptom - so it probably wouldn't crop up in most people. I've just rinsed prior to this and didn't have a problem. I was probably exposed from time to time, but for some reason the past few months my immune system just isn't working properly and it kicked up now.

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

I let my fruits and vegetables soak in a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide (h202) for a couple of minutes, rinse them off, spray them with apple cider vinegar, and then rinse them off. Never had any parasite or bacterial problems since using this method. My family had been using this method since I was about seven or eight years old, and I am now eighteen so . . . yeah. :D Hope this helps!

• I dont do anything at home, cause i dont see it as a issue here, with local food etc. i might be wrong but... im not much for cleaning everything.

but when in India, I used grapefruit seed exstract in a water solution to clean the raw fruits and vegetables, and i didnt get sick or any parasites.

::sending you healing energy across the world::