What to eat when Detoxing?...

KittyKitty Raw Newbie

I've been high raw for just about 2 wks and am experiencing uncomfortable detox symptoms..yesterday afternoon I started getting very nauseas and no appetite. Today I woke up with the same symptoms but now also have no energy and a headache that just wont go away. So far today I have eaten 3 apples, 2 bananas, and a medjool date, and alot of water. I have no desire to eat anything at all.....

My question is What should I be eating during this period? Should I just be drinking a lot of water? Or eating the same? Should I be avoiding heavier foods like nuts and oils?

I've been researching lots of past threads trying to find answers...no luck!

Thanks!!

Comments

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

Also, i dont really have a desire to slow down the detox by eating cooked food! Its not that bad...I just want to flush toxins out as soon as possible!!

• I would do green smoothies. And eat lots of salads... stay away from the nuts and as much oils as possible. Although I think avocado would be fine. a great green smoothie I enjoy is a basic kale or collards with an apple, pear and like 4 or more bananas (add dates if you like it sweet)... you want to get your calories in... but detox at the same time. a good dressing for salads... is mix an avocado with the juice from a few organic oranges. but I really think the green smoothies are key and there are so many different kinds you can make.

• My first line of defense for detoxxing is the coffee enema as outlined by The Gerson Therapy (www.gerson.org). I'm thankful for the coffee enema for all the stupid chocolate headaches I have gotten over the years. When I went raw I started with a runny nose and slight cough, then I got three whopping headaches over about two weeks in the lower back of my head. Haven't had one since. I have been losing 2 pounds a week for 9 weeks now and am loving it. I didn't think I would find my hips again until I was 80.

For me 80-10-10 will be a detoxxing way of life. I know salt, an excess of nuts and avocados and a lack of whole organic fresh raw fruits and vegetables will stop the weight loss and all the other marvelous improvements that are subtly occurring. I enjoy 3, sometimes 6 juiced oranges for breakfast. I sometimes switch over to fresh canteloupe. I have a fruit such as mango, pineapple, kiwi or pear with spinach, collards, kale or butter lettuce for lunch. Supper is still under construction. I got my dehydrator Monday. That's why I am here gleaning this marvelous collection of recipes. I'm hoping to find recipes that fit as close as possible to 80-10-10. I want to use sprouted sunflower seeds in place of regular sunflower seeds to reduce the percentage of fat and stay away from avocados and cashews. I have been craving salt and the sunflower pate with ume vinegar and worcestershire has been like water in desert. But I still consider salt to be an evil and even use sodium lauryl sulfate free toothpaste and shampoo. I also want to adhere to Doug Graham's disdain for olive oil and other oils

For me the key to staying raw is 80-10-10. You may not feel like doing cartwheels, but nothing else makes more sense. Remember 80-10-10 includes advice on sunlight and exercise. Athletes don't gain muscle by eating but by doing. If you don't feel good. You need to work harder.

Sorry for rambling. In know this more than answerred your question.

• Hi Kitty, I could definitely be wrong, but the way I understood Natalia Rose's take on detoxing is feeling symptoms doesn't actually mean you are detoxing more. It means that you've awakened old toxins, only too many of them for the body to discard of all at once. That's why you feel crap for a short time. But, since it's too much to deal with, these reawakened toxins simply get reabsorbed into your tissues anyway, not eliminated. She suggests eating some cooked foods in order to slow down the detox (which I know you said you don't want to do!) but only because the symptoms mean that you ARE NOT getting rid of the toxins. Slowly eliminating them is better than quickly awakening toxins that you CAN'T eliminate.

Like I said, that's how I understood her book (Detox for Women), but I've been about 40-50% raw for 2-3 months and have not been 'high raw' for more than a day or two at a time, so I can't say I've got the experience to really know.

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Hi Kitty, try this. http://oilpulling.com/ It sounds totally bizarre, but having been where you are a number of times it really does help with the nausea and speeding up any 'detox' symptoms. First few times it might make you want to gag, but stick with it, it is strangely addictive.

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

Thank you...last night I did eat a baked sweet potato for dinner and feel better this morning. Also drinking a lot of water. I have heard of this oil pulling but have not had a clue to what it was. Thank you for the link!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I second green smoothies and oil pulling!