Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Green Smoothies

I have tried a few green smoothie recipes and they make me physically ill. I am confused because I actually like to eat greens, but even the smell of the smoothie makes me gag. I think it is possible that I am putting too many greens in the smoothie but I was following the basic "green smoothie girl" recipe, which is 3/4 to 1 lb of greens and 2 bananas and 2 cups of berries. It makes about 64 ounces so you can save it for two days. It smells and tastes so repulsive that I can feel nauseas just thinking about it. I have had greens as part of my diet for years now so I expected to like these smoothies. Also, I used kale and put the entire kale leaf and stem in there. Any advice? Is it possible that green smoothies are not for me?

Thank you for any advice!

Comments

• i just know that i get constipated after a full day of smoothies or salads. i had green smoothies for the last 2 full days and have not moved my bowels since. i wish someone could offer an explanation for this very unusual syndrome.

i move my bowels daily and effortlessly if i am on a cooked vegetarian diet, in fact it gets even easier when i introduce a wee bit of meat.

• perhaps it's just that the proportions do not suit you. i definitely do not put that much greens in my smoothies. i often only put three or four leaves of kale or collards (depending on how big the leaves are) with at least two pieces of fruit (either two bananas or one banana and one apple or pear). i throw in some coconut oil for extra creamy yumminess and it tastes like a dream.

i know that when i overload on the greens it can turn out pretty gross. i have had to throw out a green smoothie because it made me want to vomit.

they should be delicious, though. i imagine that the more you drink them and the more you get used to the flavor and the more you figure out which greens taste better with which fruit.

try out different recipes. i've served my green smoothies to several friends who otherwise eat colorless junk most of the time and they have really liked them. there's got to be something out there for you.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

capnd, i would be repulsed with that amount of greens, too!! i can't imagine fitting a pound of greens into my blender. i usually use a 1/4 lb. and with about the same amount of fruit you use, sometimes more.

also, kale makes me so sick haha i only like spinach in my smoothies because it has a neutral taste. i think that will definitely make them more pallatable.

• Do greenies, they'll do you right.

• I have had the same problem, at least at the beginning...

Before I turned to green smoothies I was drinking three fruit smoothies (mango, strawberries, bananas - maybe 3 bananas? - and pineapple) a day and gaining weight rapidly. When I moved to green smoothies, I started off slowly by just adding a few spinach leaves now and then and that'd be it. Then, once the green didn't shock me any longer, I started adding less fruit and a bunch of spinach (like, the whole bunch) and blending it SO thoroughly. THose spinach strings are not fun.

THen the fruit started tasting odd with the greens, and I thought maybe I'd better try no fruit for a while tos ee if I lost any weight...sure enough, kale/spinach/leaf lettuce/chinese cabbage/anything else int he fridge that's not a fruit, tasted awful, but I started to lose weight. I did also experiment with adding fruits to my veggie drink, and I found that it only hurt my stomach and caused gas...my taste buds have changed, and now fruit smoothies taste ULTRA sweet. I can easily eat whole fruits (not whizzed up with others) of course, so long as it's not a VERY sweet fruit...I find that fruits now are so so so sweet...I loved eating fruits mostly, but now....I'm all into the greens. I know there are a lot of ppl on goneraw who are high fruit, and I remember that workign for me for a while, but i just gained so much weight! ack...You do have to get used to kale in a smoothie, it's not a very usual flavor. Somewhat bitter maybe? But the spinach will even it out. I find that adding a red pepper sometimes is nice, but not too often because it makes me gassy....

• oh! I forgot to add: you need to find what works for you:) Maybe high-fruit is the thing for you, maybe greens in such abundance isn't the right way for you to go....you'll have to test it out:) How exciting!

• We have been enjoying greenies for the past few years as the better part of our raw diet. We love the fresh, "green" taste. We love the convenience of it!

One can make as smooth as it appeals to one's taste. Baby spinach, smoothest. Then the rest, kale, chard, parsley, cilantro, new leaves from citrus trees, celery, basil, with fruits. A little chunk of avocado will make any greenie into a velvety delight. (Personally I like them a bit more watery, diluted with pure water). I use mainly bananas, strawberries (always available in Bay Area) and in season fruits. We freeze fruit in season for later use (winter time). My formula: in a Vitamix, 2 cups of water, 3 handfuls of greens, 1 cup strawberries (handful), 1 banana, mix. Half a honeydew melon, 1/2 bunch of cilantro or Italian parsley, no water, mix. Add a little ice to any for a cooler experience. And don't forget cold soups (and hot, of course).

When possible go organic with thin skinned veggies and fruits, and ALL greens. Know your dirty and clean veggies and fruits. We, well, I combine anything.. it can only taste bad, it will never be bad for you. Fresh veggies and fruits please. No canned or processed anything, anything please. Do you promise? Good.

Most important, the RIGHT equipment. Any Vita Mix (more power) product. The Montel Williams Machine as seen on TV. Both have the power to pulverize! Kitchen appliances, blenders, food processors and juicers just do not make greenies properly. They just are not up to the task... EMULSIFY!

PULVERIZE!

Greenies are 50% of our 85% raw vegan food diet. The only supplement we take is complex B vitamin, once a week. You will learn to love greenies, They make you feel, ENERGIZED! And healthy, of course. Remember, Fresh and alive GREEN is what you're after, fruit makes it more acceptable to the new pallet. GREEN.

Follow this lady.

http://www.rawfamily.com/newsletters.htm

Green for Life

By Boutenko Victoria

http://www.vita-mix.com/

http://www.kitchenu.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=froogle&sku=388

http://www.imshopping.com/question_answer/how-good-is-the-montel-williams-living-well-health-master

Dirty Dozen / Clean 15

http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php?key=35626100

• Constipation... try a couple of tablespoons of black strap molasses with warm water. Or 2 tbsp of organic ACV (apple cider vinegar) daily will help too..

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/constipation.html#ACV_28132

Good luck.

• ladydaventryladydaventry Raw Newbie

I have my green smoothie immediately after making it. Leaving it impairs the flavour for me.

I usually have:

1 head of romaine or 200g spinach

1-2 ripe bananas

1tbsp sprouted flax powder

Nutty green yummy.

• Thank you for all the great advice. I had bought a bunch of kale to make these smoothies, but I decided to eat it making raw kale salads, which I love! I think when I try green smoothies again, I will use a lot less greens. Also, I am someone who can eat a huge salad of kale, chard or spinach, so I might not even need to make smoothies as I eat greens every day anyway. I am confused about fruit as well. I am trying to lose weight, but I have found that I can not eat only veggies so I mix it up by having whole fruits first in the day on an empty stomach. This is only week one of being strict raw vegan although I have been playing around with it for over a year. I will see if I lose weight with eating fruit during the day and veggies in the evening.

• This past week, green smoothies have been about half fruit and half romaine lettuce or sometimes green leaf lettuce. Once when it didn't taste good, I put it back on the blender and squeezed a third of a lime into it and added a sliced up apple, blended til very smooth and it was very tasty.

Sometimes, some parsley or cinlantro or collard green or cucumber too.

The fruit is usually a dozen grapes, one apple or pear, a banana, and a few times some pineapple.

It's a nice start of a day and I usually forget about coffee or tea, Gil.