Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

COFFEE

I did it, it happened and now I can move on...after 4 months of Raw, I had my first shots of espresso and they were divine!!!! I eliminated coffee well before my adventure into Raw and starting drinking a lot more tea but with the cold and and leaves and colours and the fact that I love the taste of coffee I just had to have some. I drink it straight up, its black or double shot of espresso always has been always will be. Although I have no plans of becoming a regular coffee drinker the occasional shots or cup o joe will make my heart smile and I will enjoy it guilt free....

Comments

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

i love coffee, too. it's been my biggest vice since i was mid-teens, and giving it up has been super hard. i'm worried about dipping back into the coffee pot, since i just moved to oregon and it's cold as you-know-what here.

a small amount every once in a while isn't going to really hurt you, and i'm glad you enjoyed it! coffee really is superdelicious! i know it's hard once you've been raw for a while... everything you eat that isn't raw makes you feel guilty. the truth is, you are already doing something so good for your body that the one cup of coffee you have isn't going to offset it. :)

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I, personally, have noticed what feels like my liver cleansing itself after I have coffee on a rare occasion. My body is able to handle the effects better now, and my sensitive tastes enjoy it better as well.

"Everything in moderation, including moderation." :)

• I still drink coffee. Have to, or my fingers swell up and are painful and hard to move. Not too sure what that's all about! But drinking a cup of coffee daily seems to prevent it...weird.

• I quit coffee a while ago (along with wheat) and I must say I feel much better for it. Not sure if it was the wheat (my guess) or the combination of both.

But, my elderly mother-in-law who lives with us did not drink coffee for quite a while after a health scare, but returned to a few cups a day a while back and swears she feels MUCH better when she has some coffee each day. Seeing that she has arthritis issues, maybe it is something similar to your finger swelling that gets better with coffee? Anyways, we give her one or two small cups a day.

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

Coffee will remain with me til the end of time. I wish I could say Food was my life force but sadly coffee is. I only drink it black or just shots of espresso (quad espresso to be precise) but could never imagine giving it up. I have been in the coffee industry for the past 8 years so it is as simple as me just being aware of the product I am giving people. I am planning on opening my own coffee house this upcoming year so no matter how raw I am, it has to stay with me. :) Cheers and good health!

• sisterbecky, you might be right. I always thought it was a circulation issue, but I'm not really sure...

I just know that my fingers got unbearably swollen when I quit coffee, and immediately went back to normal when I started again. haha. I can't really complain that I actually have a reason to drink coffee :P

• Tweedle: Mabey your fingers swelled because you retaining water and coffee helped because it's a diuretic. Just a guess ;) There are teas that are diuretics that may help and are said to be good for you.

As far as coffee goes, I love the taste....mabey about once every two months I'll have a cup: strong, black organic columbian with some fresh ground organic cinnnamon *this is where the angels start singing*

But I used to be a coffee ADDICT. And I mean BAD headaches when I didnt have any...I'm glad I stopped that.

On a related note, does organic green tea count as breaking raw? I love it, and have heard about the antioxidant benefits...what are yalls opinions on it since its not raw?

Thanks!

I think green tea is beneficial (so long as you still drink lots of water). I would not worry about it. :) Even when I was a ridiculous nazi about raw food, I still indulged in tea. It's very good for the body, mind, and nerves.

Keep in mind you need a glass or two of water extra for each caffienated drink as caffiene is a diuretic.

• vabeachcgvabeachcg Raw Newbie

i used to drink coffee while RAW, but i just stopped craving it....its been 3 weeks....i haven't wanted a cup of coffee.

then again, so did SAD cravings with me--they just went away; like magic, almost.

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

I NEVER thought I would give up my coffee habit but after having a green smoothie every morning I just did not need it anymore. I still love coffee, love the smell..the taste. But its a treat if I have it. I had a couple of cups while at my moms this past weekend and I was in the bathroom for the next two days...beware to all..I warned you!! haha.

LOL Kitty! I tried giving up coffee before....and yea after a while of not having it, it had the same laxative effect on me as well. :X

stellajewels-- you have a beauty of a boston terrier...i have a mixed one myself ;)

• My fingers and joints swell without coffee too! It totally helps and I LOVE having en excuse to drink it again... I put a little sprinkle of cinnamon and a tiny dash of cayenne in it too, it's SOO GOOD! and ups the poor circulation even more obviously. The coconut milk creamer is also REALLY good, perfect flavor and not too sweet

Coffee and coconut flour are my two non-raw treats that the benefits far outweigh the negatives so they're both here to stay!!

• Thanks, that my sweet little Stella! :)

• stella, I'm so glad I'm not alone on the joint swelling, haha. I read something somewhere about how it can be beneficial for people with poor circulation, so I went back to coffee to see if it helped, and it did, so now coffee is here to stay!

just got me a fresh hot cup of organic coffee at my local cafe...MM!

cayenne pepper! never tried that, but it sounds interesting, definitely going to have to try that! and I love cinnamon on EVERYTHING!

Msm, and cayene are great for joints and circulation, Tweedle.

• I could never drink coffee I just didn't like the taste, however the smell of coffee man I LOVE the smell of it. I guess my nose and tongue just have to agree to disagree...

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Same as Lyn_goes_green here - used to NEED COFFEE and now I am so glad to be over that. I do love good coffee, and can have a cup or two when I feel like it just to be sociable. (More than two wrecks me especially on an empty stomach.)

I always have a cup of tea in the morning to ease into the day, but it doesn't seem to matter if it's caffeinated or herb tea, it's just the ritual that's important.

And can I add to the Boston love? They're my all-time favorite dogs. I can't have one now but someday maybe!