Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Stupid Nut Milk!

SystemSystem Raw Newbie

No matter what kind of nut milk I make, it is rancid by the next morning. It separates and tastes sour and I can not for the life of me get it to keep any longer than 4 to 6 hours at a time. What am I doing wrong? Does anyone else have this problem? It's annoying because I work at 5 a.m. every morning so my breakfast needs to be prepared the night before and I'm usually eating fruit with grawnola so I would like to have some milk with it but it's just not working! Help meeeeeeeeeeeeee! :)

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

if i make nut mylk, it usually lasts 3 days. i don't strain it though. i just do it straight in the blender and then pour it in a big bottle and keep it in the fridge. ani phyo has AMAZING nut mylk recipes. let me know if you want some- my book is downstairs and i don't feel like getting up at this exact moment hahahaha

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

That's strange, mine tend to keep fine for a few days too. (I like Ani's recipe)

It does tend to seperate a bit overnight so I give mine a good stir before using.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

A few ideas:

- make your fridge colder

- add honey (anti-microbial property)

- get more practice. over time making some nut milk does not long at all. and then, getting up a few extra minutes early won't be a big deal. you can do it!

- re-blend before drinking it in order to undo the separation

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Maybe you need a better source for nuts/seeds? Or perhaps you're blending too long when you make it? You could try adding probiotics to the milk to see if that extends its shelf life.

• Wow. What a shame BushCrazyRaw. I have an excellent source for nuts and seeds (realrawfoods.com) and when I make nut or seed milk, it usually lasts in the fridge at least 5 days (if given the chance:). I agree with ambiguous, that the nuts and seeds source may be the problem. They might be nearly rancid before you even make the nut milk.

Hmm. You've made me feel like making my favourite almond milk.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I agree too - it may be the nuts themselves. Ours lasts 3-5 days in the fridge (assuming we don't finish it before that).

• Mine always lasts a few days as well....and like joannabanana, I don't strain mine either.