Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

So many vegetables...so little time

liger99liger99 Raw Newbie

I tend to buy a lot of vegetables, put can't seem to find anything to do with them instead of dipping them in a fatty pate, or put it in a salad. So, many times, they end up rotting in my fridge. Does anyone have low-fat, fun veggie recipes. Preferably uncomplicated, lol.

Thank you!

=]

Comments

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

Juice them! :)

• If you have a dehydrator, marinate finely chopped veg like mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, celery, spring onion, peppers in a little tamari and olive oil then pop them in the D until they're soft - meanwhile make tangy ginger/orange sauce (orange juice, unprocessed sesame oil, 1 date, 1 nub peeled ginger, seeded garlic) or teriyaki sauce (tamari, ginger, dates, sesame seeds, seeded garlic), pour over the veg and serve in a bowl of cauliflower "rice" or sprouted quinoa "rice" and throw a handful of fresh cilantro/coriander/dania on top. I find this is a good way to consume a whole bunch of different vegetables in one sitting.

There are also some chilli recipes on here that you might want to try. I haven't found one I liked yet but that doesn't mean you won't like them! x

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I second, try juicing them! One thing I have been eating wayyyy to many of these days is carrots. I cut two or three up, toss it in the food processor with a little apple pie spice and a little bit of water, a packet of stevia and half a banana and give it a whirl. It tasts so good!

• liger99liger99 Raw Newbie

I dont have a dehydrator or a juicer.

=[

Guess I should have mentioned that

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

If you don't feel like eating what you're buying by itself, I'd buy different ones next time and only buy things that sound good to eat plain....

Its not that I don't like what i buy...i just want to find something else instead of eating them plain. Something fun, per say...

• blend!

i made a soup out of a tomato, half a zucchini, a carrot, hemp seeds, black pepper and miso. all in the blender. just add a little hot water before you blend. it was warming and delicious and it used up some veggies that needed eating stat.

you can put your greens in a green smoothie. sometimes it's the bok choy in my fridge, sometimes it's the kale. whatever's got to go at the time.

you can make puddings out of carrots or yams. my favorite for a while was half an apple, one carrot, a few dates, lots of cinnamon, and a little coconut oil, all blended and poured over chia seeds and raisins. yum!

if you have a food processor, there's a delicious cauliflower rice recipe. that was my favorite earlier this year. couldn't get enough of it for a while. here it is: http://goneraw.com/recipe/cauliflower-rice

keep at it!

• How about marinating them? You can just use olive oil and nama shoyu, or I like using the following combination and marinate overnight.

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup olive oil

2 - 4 Tbs agave

2 Tbs nama shoyu

1 tsp salt

1 - 2 Tbs dry herbs

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I second the marinating idea. This makes many foods much more appetizing for me. You can also try just using oil, a little lemon juice, salt and spices and dehydrating overnight for a really "cooked" texture and taste.

Some similar recipes are here: http://goneraw.com/recipe/yum-yum-veggie-slaw

http://goneraw.com/node/16412

To make these recipes more quickly, shred the veggies first--they'll absorb the liquids within minutes. Shredded veggies are also great for burger or cracker recipes. I normally hate spinach, but love it in veggie burgers.

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

I've always found that dressing makes or breaks a salad for me. When I first started raw, I was eating big salads with whatever veggies I had thrown in. Maybe putting a dressing over your veggies and adding them to a salad would help.

Some dressing options for you to mix and match: lemon juice, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, honey, tahini, spike seasoning, dried herbs, fresh herbs (toss anything with parsley or dill and it comes alive), sea salt or mineral salt, nama shoyu, olive oil, lime juice, cayenne...

There are so many options for spicing up your veggies, and it really does kill the boredom. Also, try different textures. If you usually eat your lettuce in boats, try it chopped. If you usually eat your carrots in rounds, try shredding them. This is a great way to mix it up as well, and you wouldn't need to use any fancy equipment.

Hope this helps! :)

• OooOh - if you're not 100% raw why not get some rice paper wrappers and make some fresh Vietnamese spring rolls? You just dip the paper in lukewarm water for a minute, stuff it with raw veg like carrots, cucumbers, cilantro, onion, avocado, tomato, etc., etc., and roll it, tucking the sides in... Then you can make all kinds of yummy dipping sauces to go with... UrG... Now I'm getting hungry and it's not lunch time yet!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

If you're going for health, I would add little or preferably no spices, salt, oils, salty processed foods like nama shoyu/bragg's, etc., to your food.

I follow the 8-1-1 and natural hygeine so oils and braggs are off limits

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

i'm 811 too and I don't eat very many vegetables. What if you bought more fruit and less vegetables? I just eat my romaine lettuce in salad, the rest is pretty much fruit

I eat a lot of fruit. But I love vegetables! lol.

I guess Im just being picky, or something. I just want something fun to do with my veggies besides putting them in a salad

• Linger99,

I don't think you are being picky for wanting to enjoy your food. I realize food is for nourishment, but I want to enjoy what I eat as well. I know many here do not do condiments/spices, etc. And that's their choice. I find they truly add variety to vegetables. IF you do not feel good after you eat spices, etc- then don't. I feel fine when I use, and I tend to eat more vegetables when I use them. However much I enjoy leafy greens, I believe there are many good vitamins and minerals in other veggies, and wouldn't restrict myself ONLY to leafy greens. I'm only high raw, so I also will steam some of them. IF you are not 100% raw, I would recommend that. IF you are 100%, then maybe try some marinades.

Personally I find being too "strict" about food leads to binging for me. If you have binging issues, this may be something to consider.

Just some suggestions to think on.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

oh-I think veggies would taste great with some balsamic vinegar. I believe americanwildfoods.com has a raw balsamic vinegar that might want to check out.

• I love veggies with just some apple cider vinegar and sea salt. Yum!

• i've been doing lots of lettuce wraps lately - just tossing some veggies in little dressing (could you do a little lemon juice and sea salt if you're 811?) and wrapping them in a leaf of bibb, romaine, or kale. i lurve my veggies, but always seem to need to "do" something with them to keep from getting bored. wraps really satisfy my burrito/ sandwich cravings too. good luck!

mmmmm...wraps sound good. I try not to use many spices, but I am partial to cumin =]. I'll try a marinade, and see how that goes. I dont like using oils very much. Is there something else I can marinate my veggies in?