Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sprouted Tofu

What do you guys think about it? -- in taste, health, etc.

Comments

• From what I've read, soy products are a strong NO NO unless it is both organic and fermented. For some reason the fermentation makes it much, much healthier. I forget why. Soy is known to cause cancer, and they say that in fermented soy products (like miso), it does not do that.

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

Where the heck would you sprout tofu in nature?

:)

• Do you mean to sprout soybeans (what tofu comes from) perhaps?

There was tons of info out several years ago about how healthy soy was, now it seems alot of info suggesting it isn't so healthy (in large quantities). It's that phytoestrogen in soy that's questionable I believe.

Strangely enough the Okinawa have a very high soy intake, but live long, healthy lives. They may ferment much of their soy though?

Just my opinion- I wouldn't make it a daily stable. But, I would enjoy it moderately. Just my opinion.

• Do not eat soy sprouts raw!

It contains toxins, so you have to cook the sprouts to eat them.

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Soy is not digestible unless it's fermented (like tempeh or miso - I believe soy sauce is fermented, but I'm really not sure). It's just not good for you otherwise. Asian cultures tend to enjoy it fermented, but when western countries started to skip this process and throw it in as an additive into everything, people noticed that it's not good for you. Soy reads out as very high protein, but high protein might as well be no protein if you can't get the benefit from it in its unfermented state. It mimics certain hormones in the body - and too much can be a carcinogen. I would recommend reading about soy - both the good and bad - and decide whether to incorporate fermented soy products into your diet.

I'm allergic, so the decision for me was easy :)

• ahh, i'm glad i didn't eat it then. Thank you all for your responses.

• Miso, soy sauce, yes. Raw beans, tofu, BLARGH!!