Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

1st juice fast! some questions

Hi everyone,

I have read so many positive things on here about juicing and green smoothies that I'd like to try a juice fast. I am one of those people that eats every few hours so I am afraid I will be starving and go off it soon- can anyone give me any pointers to help keep me on track? Like what ingredients you use to keep you full and satisifed?

Also, how much does everyone eat (well, drink I guess) when they're juice fasting? I would like to cleanse and lose weight, so I don't want to go overboard on calories.

Thanks a lot!!

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i've only done one and it was for 6 days- probably the most expensive 6 days of my life hahahaha it takes a lot of fruit to yield so little juice, so i'd get juicy fruits like watermelon, oranges, and apples. those are my favorites. as for veggies, celery and carrot juice taste amazing. the 2nd day was probably my hardest because i was excited the first day so i was concentrating on trying a bunch of different juice flavors. after the first day, i started to feel the hunger but by the 4th day, i felt so light and amazing. i've never felt so good in my life and my belly got really flat- it's amazing how flat it is when your body isn't so busy digesting foods. i workout out, too, but if i did one again, i wouldn't workout with it. i was way too exhausted and i should've just taken a week off to rest my body.

i don't remember the quantities i drank but it was usually til i felt like it was enough. i just listened to my body.

• For your first juice fast I think you should just follow what feels good, at least if if you along the way find it a struggle to stay juicing, you get really in tune with your body and mind when you fast so just listen closely to how much you need.

today I drank 2 big juices and 2-3 small juices.

You could start with juice fasting two days and then break it, and then try with three days and so on to get success or jump right into it and ''just decide'' to stay on it, focus on what you're gaining by doing it.

For me it doesnt matter if I get hungry, even though I usually eat a lot, but I focus on mental clarity im gaining and the goal ive set.

if you meditate it really adds to the experience and helps the process.

I do both green juices and diluted fruit juices.

But my big juices - meal juices are green juices to keep my blodsugar leveled etc.

in between I will have pure fruit juices, I prefer to have either pure vegetable juices or pure fruit juices, for me it feels better to not mix.

I also take chlorella, cause it makes me calm and stabilized. and great if im hungry.

Enjoy your juice fast!

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

Thank you both- I'm glad to hear that you think it's worthwhile (and that you feel great and even have a flat belly!). The two day fast to start out sounds like a good idea, too, if I can't stay on for 6 or so.

Thanks again, let's see how it goes!

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

A 2 day fast is a great goal. A gallon (which is not quite four liters) of juice should be over 1000 calories, and enough to keep you from feeling too hungry for a day. And although they taste great, I find fruit juices actually make me more hungry in the long run, while non-sweet green juices make me feel better. But the juice needs to taste good enough for you to actually drink it! For the record, I always feel really great AFTER a fast; during the fast, not so much.

And joanna is right, it can get really expensive . . . anyway, best of luck!

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

yup....thats my problem. I feel amazing after the fast but during the fast I want to shoot myself in the face. No Good. Thats when I tried the whole banana smoothie thing and since then I dont know if I will go back to a juice fast. It was great because I got my calories but I also got a bit of fat to make me full. It was the longest I was able to stay on a fast of any kind and still reap AMAZING detox benefits. Actually, it was the best detox I ever went on. Healed all sorts of stuf!

Good luck.

cheers!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

iliveyourdream, how long did u do this for? i am obsessed with just plain banana smoothies as well but i dont know if i could drink them for every meal, every day... i guess a major plus of this is that bananas are the cheapest fruit out there!!

• i want to try this.

too bad im allergic to bananas!

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

i think i have a mild banana allergy too- but no worries you cant juice a banana anyway. When i fast (im on day 4 right now!) I drink at least a 1/2 gal to a full gallon of juice everyday. Its all green and lovely.

carrots are super cheap so i juice a lot of those- ive been able to get 25lbs of organic carrots for $20. It is expensive- but worth doing. enjoy this juice recipe:

ginger lemonade:

2-3 apples

1 head romaine

1 lemon peeled

1 inch piece of ginger

juice all together. drink and smile.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I recently wrote about my juice feasting experience here: http://bittsblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/juice-feast-journal-and-juice-party.html

I personally believe in the philosophy of 4 quarts of juice a day and as much green juice as possible. Unless it's just a bit of apple in a juice, I don't do well with fruit juices. They give me too high of a spike and then crash. The greens help slow down the intake.

I also drink tea and kombucha if I feel hungry.

I agree with the feelings above. The flat stomach, the mental clarity are great.

Good luck! Drink LOTS!