Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Cleaning sprout bag

I just started using the Sproutman sprouting bag and I'm not sure as to how often it should be sterilised. I imagine that putting the bag into hot water after every batch of sprouts would reduce significantly the durability of the fibres, but I don't want to wait until a batch of sprouts is ruined to find out that I need to sterilise.

Does anyone who uses the sprout bag have recommendations as to sterilisation frequency, assuming that no batch is ruined?

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

I rinse it after every use, wash it with castille soap every now and then, and then whenever it gets really brown and accumulates an odor (every couple months), I bleach it.

• I lack Castille soap and bleach...I'm also wary of using bleach on something that will be touching food. Do you ever sterilise by boiling? Perhaps I'll invest in some kind of natural food-grade soap :).

• Hmm I use just a regular hemp "nut milk bag" and I wash it after every time.. though I don't use any special soap or bleach.. I don't know about using bleach either actually.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

I steralize with boiling, however I find with the bags that it doesn't remove the smell or discoloration.

• I like to use vinegar and water to clean most everything in my kitchen, including washing my veggies.

I can't tell you the results of using it with a sprout bag since I don't use one.

Do you think that vinegar would work for you? It is safe and fairly cheap.

Also, baking soda is a safe cleaning agent. So is lemon juice.

What do you guys think?

• How about hydrogen peroxide? It's nontoxic and similar to bleach.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

What's wrong with bleach?

• You are not supposed to wash hemp with soap as it dries out the fabric. The best way to keep it clean and make the bag last a long time is to turn it inside out and boil it in hot water. I would imagine bleach would do as much if not more damage than soap.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Ok, mine is made out of nylon though - is that still the case? pizza, what is yours made out of?

• It's Sproutman's hemp sprout bag. I figured that my nose will let me know when to sterilise :). Thanks, everyone, for your replies!