Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

80/10/10 in 2010?

Is anyone else planning to make the switch to 80/10/10 with the new decade? We should start a group.

Comments

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I'd love to! I'm kind of doing it (but only on some days), and would like to do it 100%. I know I can do it, since I did during the summer, I just need to get back into it. I'm in!

• AVL, I guess it's just us two. I decided to start doing 80/10/10 today. I just had the most wonderful salad: baby lettuces of various types, with a dressing made of one mango, four dates, some water, and about a tablespoonful of chia seeds, blended. It was delicious. It's the first time I've really enjoyed a fruity salad dressing.

I'm going to try to be 100% raw every day in the coming year and, I hope, the coming decade. I'll strive to follow The 80/10/10 Diet, but I think I'm going to have to ease into it a little. The biggest challenge for me is going to be refraining from overeating nuts. I have a terrible weakness for cashews. As a substitute, I've ordered some raw pistachios from Living Tree Community. I hope I can limit them to no more than about 30 per day. (The LTC Web site says they're about three calories each.)

Here's where the easing-into-it part comes in: Since it's going to be so hard to limit my fat intake, I've decided to allow myself as much dulse as I want to eat. That's not a food that Dr. Graham approves of, but I think it's better that I eat something low in fat even if it means consuming something salty. Once I get used to the low-fat regimen, I'll phase out the dulse. I only recently discovered dulse. Its umami flavor helps satisfy my craving for something savory and fatty, so that's going to be my one transitional food.

When I first went raw back in April of 2008, it took about six or seven weeks for my cravings for cooked food to stop. If the same holds true for 80/10/10, I'll just need enough willpower to hold on until mid-February! Doesn't that sound great?

How's it going for you?

Rebecca

• What exactly is 80/10/10?

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

It's a title of a book and also a way of eating that has at least 80% calories from carbs, no more than 10% from protein and fat. Great way to eat for athletic, active people. :)

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Rebecca117, that sounds great. I have been easing into it for the past 4 days so I think that I'm getting the hand of it. I also love cashews! I can't have any nuts at home become if I do, I will eat them all. The only things that I eat that it not part of 80/10/10 are mushrooms (I love mushrooms!) and sometimes seaweed. I doing pretty goos with eating almost 100% raw, so I'm confident that I can do it.

I've been off work for two weeks (I'm a teacher, so it's nice to have Christmas Break), and it's been so much easier to eat raw without all the tempting SAD foods in the staff room (doughnuts, cookies, bread, crackers, etc.). My biggest challenge will be around that food again starting Monday. Also, when I'm at home I've had no problem eating 100%, but as soon as I am around other people, like at my mom's or friend's house, then I am tempted to nibble a few bites of cooked foods.

Ok, so here we go! By the way that salad dressing sounds really good! Another good dressing is 1/4 avocado, 8 cherry tomatoes, 1 mango, the juice & pulp of 1 orange. Put that in a food processor and pour over your salad...so good & sweet :)

Audrey

• Hmmm...interesting. I think that a lot of what we mistake for carbs is actually protien (spinach, broccoli, kale) at least a high percentage--and there's no doubt that those foods are good. Plus we need our essensial fatty acids....I'm not trying to be argumentative, just wondering what the reasoning is behind this way of thinking. All I try to do is look for truth...any answers?

• ohh one more thing, we dont want to mess with our insulin levels too much as that can cause premature aging and diabetes, what is your view on how this diet affects those factors?

• I'm definitely IN on this!:) I just finished reading the book, and I'm really excited...and a bit nervous, since I've always dealt with my emotions by eating, and that'll be tricky (maybe? maybe not?). From what I have learned from Dr. Graham's book, the only issues we'll have with sugar consumption will be a direct result of eating fats...fats not from whole fruits that is.

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

i've been eating low-fat, raw fruit and greens for the last 9 months and absolutely love it so i'm already in!

• Dancin DurianDancin Durian Raw Newbie

Absolutly try for 80/10/10! It is wonderful and amazing. Just make sure that you eat enough, that makes cravings disapear. Really, if you are totaly full with fruit, you will not want anything else. Check out 30 bananas a day, it is an exellent source of info and inspiration. I am in too!!!

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

Lyn Goes green: Hmmm...interesting. I think that a lot of what we mistake for carbs is actually protien (spinach, broccoli, kale) at least a high percentage--and there's no doubt that those foods are good. Plus we need our essensial fatty acids....I'm not trying to be argumentative, just wondering what the reasoning is behind this way of thinking. All I try to do is look for truth...any answers?

You can't obtain enough calories eating primarily greens and a high fat diet can lead to problems such as lethargy, candida and insulin resistance(if mixed with sweet stuff). 80/10/10 is a diet of 80% carbs(sweet fruit), 10% protien(greens) and 10% fats (nuts, seeds and avocados). We need about 1.5 grams of omega3 and about 1.5-5 grams of omega6 fatty acids a day, this mark is easily met with greens, very moderate fats and even some sweet fruits(melons for example). The reasoning behind this way of thinking is that your bodies preferred fuel source is carbohydrates and high fat diets do not work log run(for the most part), you need to read the 80/10/10 diet by doug graham to really get a feel for it, as he explains it out in detail. or alternatively just lurk around 30bananasaday.com or http://www.vegsource.com/talk/raw/index.html

Lyn Goes Green: ohh one more thing, we dont want to mess with our insulin levels too much as that can cause premature aging and diabetes, what is your view on how this diet affects those factors?

Fruit is Low glycemic load(more important then GI) because of the high fiber content, eating primarily sweet fruit will naturally balance your insulin levels and people have cured or brought diabetes down to a very manageable point on the 80/10/10 diet. The only way to cause negative insulin responses is to eat massive amounts of refined products or the mixture of lots of fats with lots of sugar

• Interesting, keewi, thanks for the response--particularly the info on fruit. I probablyt wont do 80/10/10 completley but I certainly wont be as wary of fruit.

Another thing to consider though is biodiversity. While certain nutrition principle are universal, perhaps ideal proportions vary from person to person.

• threnodythrenody Raw Newbie

I'd like to be in--I'm very nearly 80/10/10...But I teeter on my plan sometimes. I try to eat only day of only fruit and greens, followed by a day with one meal of salad with a little bit of fat, but then I get into a rut of having the salad every day, which means I'm not eating enough fruit, and then crave adding more fat to the salad...

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

I'm in! November and December have been my trial run/warm up for eating this way and I feel great!! Want to d othis for 2010, my body likes it.

• Wow, what a good group!

I have hit a suddenly very busy time with work and may not get to check in very often in the coming months. But I wanted to let everyone know I'm still attempting to stick to 80/10/10. The only problem I've had is that I learned yesterday at my yearly dental checkup that I've lost some of the enamel on many of my teeth. I've been doing a high-raw diet since April of 2008 and, like many of you, have tried to move toward a high-fruit, low-fat diet in recent months. My dentist says my enamel problems are probably caused by the large amount of citrus fruits I've been consuming. She said it's very important to drink water after consuming fruit or fruit juices, because the acid in the fruit can cause the enamel to erode.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Audrey: Thank you for the avocado/tomato dressing recipe. I'm going to try that soon.

Rebecca

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I've been doing pretty good, but I still need to wean myself off mushrooms and seaweed. I had a bit of a slip on Sunday (eating some non-raw foods for an afternoon snack), but I went right back on track at dinner.

I'm experimenting with different fruit meals and people look at me like I'm so sort of weirdo when I eat like 15 clementines at a time. I've never eaten so many clementines at once! I also feel more "productive" in the bathroom since eating almost 100% raw (I lighlty steam a few pieces of broccoli & cauliflower to put in my salad for dinner). I feel lighter and energetic!

• macanoogiemacanoogie Raw Newbie

When doing 80/10/10 do you bother with food combining? I typically keep fruit away from everything else so I'm curious to know how this is handled. Thanks!

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

I tried 80/10/10 for a short period towards the end of last year and really would like to give it a better try.

How is everyone getting on?

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Doing well so far! :D It's harder near the end of the end of the day to stay away from to much fat during the winter time when it's really cold out here. I use the CRON-o-Meter to keep track of my calories, nutrient, and carb/protein/fat ratio. It helps me keep track and I found that if I eat enough sweet fruit during the day that for dinner I am able to indulge in a couple tbs. of raw tahini in my veggie dip/dressing while still keeping my fat ratio at, or a little below 10%.

The CRON-o-Meter is free, just google it. It is by far the best free nutrient/calorie keeper that I have ever come across that run on both Mac and PC.

• Hey people currently I (believe) I am already folowing the 80/10/10 diet. Some days I consume no fat foods like nuts/seeds/avocadoes though. Actually on days where I consume very low fat (on days where I consume little to no nuts/seeds) I find the next morning I get up from sleep alot more energetic.

For instance, this morning I had a good chest workout, and I consumed mainly lots and lots of fruits until 12:30 PM where I had a nice sized salad with lemon juice sprinkled over for taste.

When I go to the grocery store today I plan on buying some raw pumpkin seeds and some sesame seeds for some fats. :P

So guys, I do find that the 811 diet is very very easy, all you have to do is control your fat intake. Consuming mostly fruits and enough greens and various vegetables.

I am starting to feel alot more energetic ever since eliminating alot of fats and grains in my diet.

Grains are just unnatural for humans, yet it is so popular in our society!, only if people knew the effect grain products has on their health...

Ever since eliminating grains I just feel so much more lighter and energetic.. :D, as well as limiting my seed/nut/avocado consumption. But I do try to have some seeds/nuts, as I am unsure if they are or are not absolutely necessary.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

How is everyone doing on their 80/10/10 journey?

I've being doing ok, but I don't want to say it's been 100% all the time, but I've been keeping a log and most of the time it's pretty close to 80/10/10 (i.e. 86/9/5, 90/4/6).

• Im planning on ordering the book today online. I believe by 80/10/10 they mean to get 10% fat and 10% protein maximum. It is okay to be below the 10/10 and be higher in the 80.

• All the 80/10/10 is, is a raw vegan diet but you have to be strict bout the fatty foods like avocadoes and nuts/seeds. I personally find eating any amount of fats slows me down. I've been doing the 80/10/10 strictly for about 2-3 weeks now and I am feeling alot more energetic. Feeling like I am needing less and less sleep since eliminating almost completely fatty foods and high protein foods like protein pwoders and legumes/grains.

Many people notice great, I mean great, improvements since switching from high/moderate fat raw vegan to low fat raw vegan, also known as the 80/10/10 diet. I have personally noticed great improvements and I am only about 3 weeks into it.

A forums that I have joined and recieved alot of support, as well as learned alot about the low fat raw vegan diet. Everyone there is very nice and warm-hearted. The url is 30banansaday dot com, I highly recommend joining this forum if you are looking to try out the 811 diet.

Best of luck everyone!

• rawpretzelarawpretzela Raw Newbie

But how do I get my B-12?? i'M 100% raw vegan since I decided to change my eating habits, and thanks God it hasn't been hard for me at all, but lately I started to take B-12 supplement cause I was feeling really bad, even though I eat lots of fruits, veggies and some nuts, but I seem to never get enough b-12!! What should I do??

• rawpretzelarawpretzela Raw Newbie

I mean... when eating 80/10/10 where do you get your b-12 from?