ideas for cheesy rice w/broccoli?

My husband is not anywhere near raw. His favorite food groups are meat & Little Debbie. He is not *too* overweight, but he could look & feel a lot better. I want to make some raw food meals that are as close as possible to his comfort foods. One thing he really likes is cheesy rice w/broccoli and chicken. While I don't think I can find a substitute for the chicken (and that's fine) I know there are ways to make raw "cheese" sauce and rice. Is broccoli OK to eat raw or do I need to steam it? (I saw a nutritionist while I was raw 4 years ago and she told me broccoli is not digestible when raw and needs to be steamed. Just wondering.) I'm thinking I can do one of the "cheese" sauce recipes with cauliflower "rice" and broccoli chunks. Do you think that would turn out terrible or taste awful? I haven't experimented much on my own, I stick to simple stuff, so this will be new to me. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• I've personally never had issues with eating raw broccoli but I know quite a few people that do and it can cause cramping, bloating and horrible gas. If I were you I would lightly steam it for him, you don't want him to get gas and cramping and blame it on 'raw'. My fiance is not raw at all, although from time to time he will try something that I will create. A few weeks ago I decided to try the cheesy nacho dip recipe that I found on this site and it was delicious. I didn't tell my fiance what it was made from and he loved it. Afterwards I told him what the ingredients were and he was shocked that the cheesy sauce wasn't cheese at all, he couldn't believe cashews could make something taste so great. I say make it, serve it to him and see what he says afterwards. I find that the less I tell my fiance up front, the better. As soon as I tell him a recipe before I make it, he won't try it because he assumes it will be tasteless.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

There are definitely some recipes that have that "THIS is raw???" quality, but if someone is a committed SAD eater, you may be disappointed if your hub doesn't find it an acceptable substitute for a favorite food of his. He might like it - but not as a replacement! I find I have more success serving dishes that have strong and interesting flavors, but aren't strictly "replicas." Spicy/salty works well for SAD palates.

However, this is my favorite cheese sauce - http://goneraw.com/node/635

I've never had problems digesting raw broccoli either.