Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How Raw Are You?

I know that this community was created to encourage and incite. Let's continue to keep it up guys. My heart has been tugged at the recent posts of those who fear and believe that in some way they are failures because they are not able to or ready to commit to a 100% raw diet.

When I think about how raw I am, I always feel satisfied...Whether I ate 50% raw or 100% raw that day I am happy knowing that I ate food at some point in the day that was full of enzymes, organic/natural, ripe, and packed with vitamins and nutrients as well as no ready made meals and everything from scratch.

When you think about it, eating any percentage of raw everyday is a good investment in your health bank because you're still choosing a healthier option as opposed to the traditional fast food, junk food, and SAD diet that will sped the process of aging and diseases.

When I think RAW I think that the point is to eat more raw foods, regardless of the amounts-- but I do believe that with the right planning a 100% raw diet can be successful and meet your daily requirements (they announced this year that b12 is present in mushrooms which means it's probably definitely spirulina but the debate continues. So, I'll believe it is until...).

I recently heard an interview with Karen Knowler the Raw Food Coach who openly, but reluctantly admitted that her son was not thriving on a vegan diet and she decided to give him something non-raw and non-vegan (milk or egg forget which one). She revealed the dogma of some raw foodists and the risk some take in jeopardizing their children's health for the sake of claiming that they are 100% raw. Even Shazzie gives her daughter eggs (not that it's necessary in anyone's diet).

The point is that it's ok to be as raw as you can, and not let someone else set your standards...but we should all strive to be as healthy as possible.

Now, I"m not trying to start a debate (even though I know some will urge it on). I refuse to respond to such. However, let's continue to encourage and enlighten each other to

EAT MORE MORE RAW FRUITS & VEGGIES!!!

Comments

• I would classify myself as "high raw" but it wouldn't feel correct of me to call myself a raw foodist. (Not that I have a standard for others who do, it's just that I feel best when including steamed veggies, sweet potatoes and brown rice.)

I never noticed how little raw fruits and veggies most people (including myself until looking into raw) eat. Wow! And truly, even doctors (who seem to have a pretty bad rap around here, and somethimes for good reason) will (and usually do) tell you to eat fresh fruits and salads. Our society (and least mine I should say) isn't built around including raw fruits and veggies at meals and such.

Pizza and chips is more standard.

Anyways, yes it is good to remember that eating more of them instead of giving up and feeling like a failure if you are not "perfect" is so much more healthy. For me at least, my health is most important (over dogma or fitting into a category). When it comes to your children- definately make sure they are thriving over making sure they are "raw" or vegan. Not saying that they can not thrive on these diets, but I do think one must be carefull.

• ladydaventryladydaventry Raw Newbie

I used to get weighed down by percentages. I was strict 811 but have since changed my diet to suit me. I had a cooked vegan christmas dinner and really enoyed it but I rarely eat cooked, the odd soup. I don't eat dehydrated foods, only if I go for a gourmet raw meal, which in itself is rare. I have never been into grains or rice but if I was to give myself a percentage, I'd say I was 90% raw...

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

I refuse to conform to labels such as veganism, vegetarianism, raw foodist, simple because these words end with -ism and -ist, which represents a form of "religion". I don't believe that food, raw or not, is a religion. Food is a way to maintain you life, your health, your vibrance. We have to eat to live, and everyone needs to find a way of eating that makes them happy and healthy in both the physical and emotional sense of the word.

When someone asks me about my diet, I simply explain it by saying what I eat, which is a low-fat raw plant based diet. I thrive on this diet, but I don't believe that this is the best for everyone, like I said everyone is different.

I agree with ItVeganAtGenesis, as long as people on this site are encouraged to eat whole foods over processed, and eat as many raw fruits and veggies as they are personally cable of, then this site has been a marvelous success!

BE, HAPPY, BE VIBRANT, BE HEALTHY, AND SMILE! :-D

• Rawaholic,

I totally agree with the -ism and I try to stay away from it as well. I still can't get over how food has developed into a religion of sorts- it simply amazes me the many ways people attempt to find purpose in life.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I know the all the members will appreciate it.

• I consider everyday I'm over 50% raw a success. I know it's not much for some of you, but before I was interested in raw food, I was about....0% raw. What? Yes, right, because WHEN I had fruit or veg (and it wasn't that often, believe me) then it was most likely cooked.

So now, when I'm 50, 60, or even up to 80% raw, I'm proud and happy and I consider it a healthy day. =)

• Dancing_barefoot, That's is a success! instead of fries with every meal you have something living, full of enzymes, etc. That's wonderful! You are making healthy choices and that makes you healthy..keep it up!

• Thank you! =)

Of course I'm aiming to eat even better, but realize how far I've come, and I think people who are 80% and up raw should do so even more!!

Guys, be proud, be happy and don't beat yourself up because you're not 100% (yet)!!!

• I know most people here don't want to get hung up on being 100% but it's definitely something I'd like to achieve someday. The only thing holding me back is coffee and tea really. I love my hot coffee in the morning and as much crap as people want to talk about coffee, it actually tends to help me with issues I have in my hands... which is either related to blood sugar or circulation (or both).

I also am on birth control and can't afford to NOT be on it... it really sucks because I'm sure that stupid little pill does a lot more harm than I even realize.

Anyway as of now, I'm probably 90% raw...maybe more. The coffee and pill are the only parts of my diet that aren't raw, but I don't really know what that is on a level of percentage.

I occasionally have a bite or two of non-raw food, and that's really it... I don't really care about non-raw food for the most part anymore to be honest. I had one single onion ring last night and hated the greasy aftertaste...yick! didn't even taste like food to me anymore...

• I'm 100% raw (besides green tea), but not 100% vegan. That's right--2 raw egg yolk every morning. This way I get all the animal-based nutrients I could ever need, and still stay raw. If you think about it, its really the same as eating eggs over easy, without the whites. And it is better for you, the yolks dont undergo any chemical changes.

• vabeachcgvabeachcg Raw Newbie

right now, i'm green smoothie-juice fasting, for 5 days.

percentages don't matter to me; what matters to me, is eating what makes me feel good, makes me happy, and fuels/ cleanses my body. to me, that is raw foods. its just that simple.

;)

KISS- keep it simple, sillies! *mwah

• I'm with you VAbeachcg. I'm going to try a juice or smoothie feast one day. I don't know what's holding me back. So post your experience for encouragement- thanks!!!