Protein?

I think I am finally down to the last concern:)lol…would you guy’s happen to know of any high sources of protein eating raw? Thank you ; you have all been so great to us here …..we are finally getting it

Comments

• I happened to just finish reading a book called The 80/10/10 Diet by Graham that advocates a raw diet and it has the following info regarding protein – I’ll list some of the higher protein sources for fruits and veggies.

100 grams (3.5 oz.) of: Banana – 1.1g protein Blackkberries – 1.4g protein Dates – 1.8g protein Oranges (Valencia, CA) – 1.0g protein Peaches – 1.0g protein Broccoli – 2.8g protein Carrots – 0.9g protein Cabbage – 1.4g protein Kale – 3.3g protein Lettuce – 1.2g protein Spinach – 2.9g protein

There is a good website – nutridiary.com where you can input the food name and it will give you the stats regarding protein as well as other info.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Well, I just read this article, Eat it Raw! from Lifetime Fitness, where it reads that a “roasted nut is 75 percent fat and 25 percent protein…” but if sprouted ”...that ratio reverses and becomes 25 percent fat and 75 percent protein”. They talk about the un-cookbook “Raw”.

• Here’s a great link that explains all about protein and the raw diet: http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/proteins/index….

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Don’t worry about getting enough protein, there is alot of controversy on the subject. Dr Cousens says that we need alot less than average on raw and ideally we should aim for about 30%. You will get your protein from green vegetables, algaes, sprouted grains like quinoa and buckwheat, soaked nuts/seeds, vegetables and fruits. Protein requirements also vary person to person depending on lifestyle and constitution. If you’re a fast oxidiser you will need more, if you’re slow, then you will need less. People either tend to be carb or protein/fat types. It’s well worth finding out more about your unique metabolism and constitution (dosha, in ayurveda)

• proteins are important for your body try to stick with a low amount of protein which normally is half the amount recommended by the FDA, if your weight is 50 Kg you need between 20-23 grams, I’m 78 kg so my optimal amount is 35-37 grams a day. A very good source of high and beneficial protein is Hemp powder, 2 scoops of hemp powder will give you 37 grams of proteins so I normally use 1 scoop, try to use it considering the amount of proteins you get from other foods, many people don’t know that even oranges and other fruit have proteins, for example 3 oranges have around 5 grams of proteins, I know of girls of 50 kg which overdose in proteins just because they don’t know the composition of any food, they think not to take the right amount of proteins but in reality they take up to 100grams a day this is really bad for their kidneys and liver. It is very important to know the composition of every food. This website will give you some help: http://www.nutritiondata.com

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

You would get enough protein if you just eat potatoes all the time and nothing else. We actually don’t need much protein. It is a myth. Check out that book The China Study which I believe goes into detail about this subject. Protein deficiency is only ever found in the most severe cases of malnutrition. Too much Protein is killing millions of people ever day through the diseases it causes… Be like Popeye and eat your spinach, it has got plenty of good protein that your body can use.

• This is really good info. Thanks for the link Ventri! I started having some problems after I started eating a lot of protein shakes. It’s probably been about 10 years now though but I was trying to lose more weight but it backfired. It could be too that the protein was coming from soy and that messed up my hormones too. My mom went on a protein fast and ended up in the emergency room too!

But really the best fresh source next to kale, broccoli,and spinach I think is fresh peas- and they are so good!