Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Meat and Nuts

kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Okay just to let you know i am pretty new to being raw. The only part of my diet that isnt raw is meat but im working on that. Anyway...My first question is if i dehydrate meat is it still considered raw and is there some temperature i need to dehydrate the meat at for it to be considered safe? (And yes i know humans are fully capable of eating raw meat but not when they havn't been eating it all their lives).

My second questions is on nuts/seeds. I eat plenty of them but i keep reading how healthy it is to soak and sprout them. Although it sounds logical why would it actually be healthier for human beings if we evolved eating nuts and seeds when they have not be soaked/sprouted? Any explanation would be great.

thank you

Comments

• You can dehydrate meat, at least beef, and it becomes biltong or beef jerky. Excalibur has a book accompaniment to their dehydrator and it has a whole section on drying meats. I'm curious why - if you're going raw - you're looking for ways to include meat in your diet when there is overwhelming proof that a VEGAN raw diet is far more beneficial to your health?

Unsoaked nuts and seeds are EXTREMELY difficult for the human body to digest. Unsoaked nuts contain enzyme inhibitors and your body has to use its own enzyme stores to digest the nut or seed. Soaking the nut removes the enzyme inhibitors and the nut's own enzymes are released, helping it to digest easily in the gut.

Technically speaking we've evolved into BBQ meat and mushy vegetable eaters. Over millennia, our bodies have become (albeit poor) digesters of cooked (and therefore, in essence, pre-digested) food. We are simply not able to digest they way we once could.

Another explanation could be that when we were gatherers, we were gathering nuts and seeds from the ground where they were often moist and therefore, to some degree, "sprouted."

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

I like your explanation of the nuts/seeds already being somewhat sprouted. As for the raw meat vs raw vegans i completely disagree. First of all there have been no studies on raw vegans vs raw meat eaters (The studies are always on cooked meats and not only cooked meats but unhealthy cooked meats such as beef that is grain fed). Second of all I do not believe that it is possible for humans to have been eating meat for over 2 million years and not have adapted to it. It accounts for to many major nutrients and the digestive part of our body does not resemble herbivores or carnivores so what does that make us, omnivores.

• Kurite,

Welcome. You won't find much info here on the meat since this is actually a vegan raw site. Most (but not all) of the people here are vegan (no animal products- meats, dairy, eggs, also honey). You may of saw that it is raw, but missed that it was also vegan (you can't tell by the name "gone raw")

There may be sites that address the raw meats issue (sites that aren't vegetarian/vegan). It seems many raw foodists are also vegan, but not all. Carol Alt has a raw book that is not vegetarian (or vegan). If that route is of interest to you, you may want to check that out.

I'm vegetarian (but not vegan)- but if I had a realitive or friend that asked me about raw and meat, this would be my suggestion:

If your going to eat meat (chicken or fish) I would encourage you to cook whatever meat you eat. I believe the chances of getting sick are not worth the risk of eating it raw (just my opinion). Make that your cooked portion, and focus on the fruits and veggies for your raw. Also realize that your protein serving (in your case meats) should be about the size of a deck of cards (most meat eaters overdo it on portion size). Fill up the rest of the way on fruits and veggies.

I'm vegetarian for personal reasons (not health or ethical reasons). So, I'm not going to launch into the debate over which is healthier, raw meat versus raw vegan I will say that I know healthy vegetarians, and healthy meat eaters.

If you look around on the internet, you will find people have very strong opinions on both sides of that debate:-)

• I wouldn't advise eating meat at all. Ever. We're not biologically cut out for it, despite the amount of time that a vast amount of people have been eating it for. We haven't got the digestive enzymes or stomach acid to break it down properly, our intestines are about 10 times longer than a carnivore's, and we're not built to be predators. If you think about how hard it would be to chase down, say, a rabbit, and then eat it, not using any weapons or tools for any of this, you'll see what I mean. Meat is linked to high cholesterol, colon cancer, obesity, and a crapload of other serious health problems. For me at least, it's a big nooooo. And that's before you even start discussing the intricacies of the meat industry!

This is where everyone is mistaken. First of all we don't need the digestive enzymes because we are meant to eat raw meat which already contains enzymes. Second everyone overlooks the fact that humans evolved with technology (weapons for hunting) so we didn't need to evolve to have claws or sharp teeth, we had stone tools.

• kurite: mercola.com may give you some info on raw meat

As for the "what humans were meant to eat issue": I think the idea of dairy is ridiculous, eggs make a good deal of sense, and meat is arguable--although I personally dont like the idea of a sentient being being killed for my nutrition and eggs include all the nutrients we could possibly get from meat. Although I do believe a diet should be primarily based on plants.

• From personal experience, ever since I eliminated meat I have felt healthier and more energetic.

Although i agree that dairy makes very little sence, it is possible that because we are mammals we are able to use milk as a healthy food source (i really don't know). And i also agree that humans are meant to eat primarily plant matter, but i still believe we need meat and eggs in our diet.

• I'm curious why you're on a raw, VEGAN site if you're promoting the consumption of raw meat and dairy. Maybe you're better suited to Carol Alt's raw.

I've said this about a million times: WHO CARES WHAT OUR ANCESTORS ATE. Who cares. We are present, intelligent, scientific beings capable of making determinations about what is best for our bodies and health for ourselves RIGHT NOW. We don't need to look into the dark ages and argue the evolutionary tedium of our canine teeth in order to recognize that eating a diet comprised of raw fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds is what will keep us in good health for the years to come.

Im not promoting meat and milk, i just think that when people are suffering certain conditions because they are vegans they should probably realize that either they are not suited to be vegans or they need to fix it right away. And as for the who cares what are ancestors comment, it doesn't matter that we are intelligent, are bodies need what they need.

• "...but i still believe we need meat and eggs in our diet..." ??

I for one think that it DOES matter that we are intelligent beings because it means we are personally and scientifically able to determine what is actually BEST for our bodies. Our bodies do not NEED dairy and meat. Our bodies need good, clean nutrition from fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. Our bodies TOLERATE meat and dairy.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

mine doesn't even tolerate meat. that's for my cat. lol

• BushCrazyRaw makes a good point, we can determine what will suit our bodies best--and while there are universal principles that make for good nutrition (raw, plenty of fruits and veggies), we need to leave room for biodiversity. While some bodies cant tolerate meat(such as rawkidchef) others may do better with a little included. In any case, Modern "farming" needs to be DRASTICALLY reduced--for the animals, us, and the planet.

What i said was a personal belief im not trying to push it on others...and also i agree that we are able to look at what are bodies need, but we have tested nearly as much as we need to. ALL tests on meat were on meat that was cooked, processed and the cow that the meat came from was grain fed.

Okay im making a formal apology to everyone. When i joined i didnt even realize this was a vegan site. But either way i want to stay a part of it because i need a lot of raw vegan recipes and because everyone is so nice.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

haha, did you read Nina Planck's stupid "article" or something? I think you could benefit from more research on dietary intakes. Maybe use something like fitday and plug in an omnivore versus vegan day (similar/adequate calories). It's pretty easy to see what the most nutrient-dense foods are.

If you're going to be eating meat and nuts and your dietary fat is that high, I would suggest cleanses about 4 times a year because your body is going to be far from clean.

Good luck, though. You're welcome here - we just like to stick to peaceful discussions about eating plant matter as opposed to the unnecessary killing of any animals - human, cow, chicken, etc.

trust me ive read plenty of health articles on meat

I'm sure. I've read plenty of articles about the healthiness of processing fruits into a syrup and someone wants to sell it to me. Hmm.

wait are you saying that destroying everything beneficial in fruit isnt good if we consume it???? Crazy...

• What you just said kurite makes no sense whatsoever unless you are completely immune to sarcasm. Are you actually suggesting high fructose corn syrup isn't 100% healthy and natural? :|

How can you possibly say "but we have tested nearly as much as we need to"? For all your interest in evolution and adaptation you sure seem dead set on staying in the place you're in now, backed up by questionable, sourceless "research" that is telling you no more strides can be made, no more conclusions can be drawn so let's stop learning and eat some cow.

If you're here for the recipes, why are you posting forum threads asking people why they are raw vegan? So you can turn around and tell them that your research says they're wrong?

I understand that you joined this site not knowing it was vegan but now I'm wondering why you're continuing to post pro-meat now that you know it is. We've made up OUR minds about veganism. It makes absolutely no sense to continue on posting the necessities of meat on a vegan site. You should find a site that is just raw, not vegan and do your meat happy dance over there.

lol i dont understand any of you i was not purposefully trying to be offencive i didnt break any rules and i apologized... do you just not like the fact that i eat eggs and drink milk?

Okay first of all you completely misunderstood that statement. When i said we tested nearly as much as we need to i was talking about all the tests we have done and scientists are repeating a thousand times over. We know fruit is good, greens are good, sugar is bad...Every other day i read a new article about how scientists just did a study showing that kids are overweight cause they drink to much soda.

Second of all i eat primarily raw vegan, occasionally i eat a raw egg or drink some raw grass-fed milk and maybe once in a month i have a serving of meat. I just hate when people say there is absolutely no way that meat can be beneficial to us. I'm on the forums just because i like to talk to other people who eat raw and i like to know peoples views and thoughts on becoming vegan. I can't really know if your kind of sending this message in an angry way or not, but i already apologized.

• Well well well...This is an interesting thread:) I have to say, most of the time we sit back and read nothing on this website that shakes us up. It seems like kurite has shaken the nest a bit, and now we're stirred up...makes for good reading though, and I think these frank discussions/arguments help us all sort out what we think and why...

Now that that's been said, I know that eating meat turns my stomach (literally and figuratively), and the last time I smelled cooked eggs my nose scrunched up in the way it would if I'd smelled old garbage left in the sun.

Being a dietetics major, I can tell you that there are studies showing the benefit to our health in eating fruits and vegetables, ha, but governments are loathe to declare fruit consumptions should rise because that would mean that people would have to decrease meat/dairy consumption (we'd just have no room in our guts for all that food)...it's sad really, no one is telling the honest-to-god truth, and people are getting sick because of it.

• Let me be clear here - I'm not angry at all. I don't agree with most of what is coming out of your mouth but so long as we don't get into f-bombs and name-calling, it doesn't make me mad. I am trying to be as straightforward as I can be with you about why the vast majority of us are here and what this site stands for. I think everyone should own and be accountable for what they write here.

Okay first of all just glad to know your not mad. Second that post that said the egg and milk thing, i said that because i literally eat meat once a month. I dont even consider it part of my diet, i do it simply to make sure i am not protein difficient. Its the only thing in my diet that isn't raw which is exactly what is in my original post. The whole point of this thread was to ask about dehydrating meat so that when i do eat meat once a month i dont have to eat it cooked and when i made the thread i wasn't aware that this was for vegans only.

• Well, see my above-mentioned initial response to your question on meat dehydration. Hope it helps :)

(p.s. I retain - on some ridiculous level - a degree of personal satisfaction that you don't eat meat on a regular basis. Props to that!)

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

Kurite, If you are interrested in eating raw including raw meat maybe you can google raw-paleo those people eat raw greens/fruit and raw animal products. Some only RAF others mainly greens/fruit.

I don't think Kurite's a troll. It's cool he/she is on here to learn and talk and maybe teach us something.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I'm with superfood. Kurite seems like he/she is trying to be benign about the meat issue and polite. i think kurite is cool :)

Thanks for the support everyone