Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sweeteners

I am new to raw and I have been using Agave. Now I know that isn't really raw. I make a lot of breads and crackers in my dehydrator. What are the best sweeteners out there that are considered raw?

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

dates!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

raw honey and fresh dates

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

I found out that Agave really isn't that great and now I use honey for everything. Its cheaper anyway! Also dates and raisins.

• While this topic is going, I'm curious about stevia. Can anyone tell me a bit about it?

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

Stevia is awesome, in theory. lol It's the aftertaste that bother so many, myself included. The aftertaste is like that of an artificial sweetener. :(

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Fresh fruit, dried fruit (like yummy medjool dates!), green stevia (which is the raw, unbleached, and has NO aftertaste), and raw honey.

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

Rawaholic, is there a specific brand of stevia you use? I'm wondering if it would be the right kind if I just get a baggie in the loose herbs section of a natural food store. Would like to try it!

• NuStevia is the best I've every tried...no after taste and right amount of stevia Mmmm

• Oh but dates are the best!

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Dates, raw honey, lucuma, and bananas.

NuStevia tasted soapy to me and it has maltodextrin. I prefer SweetLeaf brand Stevia. At first, it had a bit of a flavor wang to it, but I liked the taste and noticed it less each time thereafter. By the way the "artificial sweetener" taste referred to is something only mildly kin to that (igh at the thought of sweet-and-low) simply because the white powders are extracts/concentrates. SweetLeaf does have inulin fiber (the kind of fiber that is water soluble) added to it. There is a brand with nothing but Stevia extract, though I haven't tried it. You can also buy it in it's dried whole leaf form (good for teas and tisanes) and dried powdered leaf form(is this what your natural foods store has? it would be okay in smoothies), which is not concentrated, just ground leaf. If you're lucky, you can find someone who will give you a start of the plant and you can blend the fresh leaves.

It depends on what you are using it for, what natural sweetener is best. :)

• make your own stevia! i do, and its delicious and easy.

you buy the stevia plant, which is just like any other herb. then you pick its leaves, dehydrate them, and grind them up in the coffee mill!