Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

***********About Vitamin B-12 ???

Hi, all of you guys :)

I am being raw(about 90%) for a while like 5 months, and lately, I have law energy and get tired easy than before which is strange because I always have lots of energy since I am being raw. I am guessing this happened becasue of Vitamin B-12.. Does anyone know about Vitamin B-12 ??

Questions are....

1. What do you eat for taking vitamin B-12 as a Raw foodist ?

2. Do you take Vitamin B-12 supplement? if you take one,can you recommend me any good vitamin B-12 supplement?

Thanks for sharing your bright wisdom with me :):):)

Comments

• I used nutritional yeast, but I read (can't remember the site) that last year mushrooms were announced to have 35% of B12 in I think 1 oz...i'll try to find the link

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Sorry to be a Negative Nancy, but I doubt that about mushrooms. And B-12 is added (fortified) to nutritional yeast. Not all nutritional yeasts have B-12.

I recently got a blood test after almost 2 years raw and found that I'm "dangerously low" in B-12. I don't know what exactly this means because of all the various information out there, but I am going to begin taking a supplement for B-12 (took nothing before). Not sure what yet, probably whatever Fred Bisci or Hippocrates endorses

• I take a B12 supplement, since it's not available to us from actual food -- I do also try to eat dirty carrots (that is, carrots that have dirt on them:)) since my grandma always said the dirt was good for you, and my nutrition classes have confirmed it -- but in the past, ie eons ago, we'd get enough b12 from soil attached to our veggies. Now that's not usually possible, but in Korea, they don't wash most veggies at the local markets, and so I feel like it's gotta be at least some of the b12 I need...I do eat about 4 carrots a day though, so that's more than a little bit of soil:) hahaha, I sound so dirty...

• "The New Zealand Vegetarian Society states that Mushrooms cultivated on manure-enriched compost will contain vitamin B12. If the mushrooms are not over washed before use they will contain some B12. There is 0.26ug of vitamin B12 in 100g of mushrooms. A serving of 4-6 mushrooms weighs 75g (New Zealand Vegetarian Society, 2001)."---http://www.cul.slu.se/information/publik/veganekhstud2001.pdf

Check the source of course...well, I still stick to nutritional yeast as my main source until I find a liquid vitamin that I like.

• That sounds interesting getting Vitamin from dirt. sounds dirty?!! you are funny!! :) what brand name B 12 Supplement do you take? do you feel diffrent after you take suplement ???

• Oh I love mushrooms !!! that's good to here :):) but not over wash,huh??

• Just a vegetarian multi-vitamin...which ever one's the cheapest...i'm looking into getting some liquid vitamins

• BioCare makes a good sub-lingual B12.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

get the raw B12 by garden of life

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Are you saying you have been raw for 5 months or you are going to be raw for five months because if youve only been raw for a short time its very unlikely you have b12 deficiency

• when people get older - and I am - they may not absorb enough B12. Also people with chronic pain diseases may not have enough. I am that person also. My levels were checked and I was low and I cheat enough to get B12 in my diet and I was using a sublingual spray also. I am so low that I am having to have one injection weekly for a month and then monthly for a year at least. So mine was not a matter of not ingesting it because of vegan diet.

• durianrider how do you do your b12 injections? Do you go to a clinic and get them or do you them yourself? If you do what brand do you use? What frequency do you get the injections?

• You can use red star nutriional yeast which is fortified with b12

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

I drink a tropical fruit juice ( a proper one not one of those "juice drinks" with sweeteners and added sugar) that has 12 added vitamins to it, including B12, which I get from Lidl (German supermarket). I may get the nutrional yeast, if I test negative intolerance to it in my allergy test next week. I have read yeast is bad for us and ferments in the stomach, so I'm cagey on eating yeast.I also have a jar of organic yeast extract to add to food ( but not ate any lately as still deciding whether to eat it or not). I have just given up bread today.

I also leave a bit of the soil on my organic vegetables.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

most of these athletes that are using b12 injections are for the slight energy boost/anti-fatigue effects it gives. much like why many pop stars and such use them.

http://www.amlaberry.co.uk

• B-12 deficiencys are a result of absorption issuses, either because your body isn't absorbing B12 on its own, or a parasite in the intestines. B-12 deficiencys are never a result of not consuming enough "B-12 rich foods". Theres no such thing. B-12 is produced by bacteria in animals and people. (thats why animal products are so rich in it, bacteria in the animals bodies create it) I haven't eaten animal products in 4 years, recently got a physical exam a few months ago, and my health is perfect, so if you are dangerously low in B-12, I would get examined and check to see if you're body is having trouble with absorption.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

people arent getting yes b12 deficiency can happen because of absorption issues but it can happen from lack of b12 in diet.