Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

KELP NOODLES!!

DreaDrea Raw Master

Hello everyone! I just ordered some kelp noodles and I love the neutral flavor, but I'm not a fan of the crunch! Is there a way to get rid of the crunch?

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Have you tried soaking them?

• Actually, I put the Alfredo sauce on them, dehydrate them for an hour and they are soft and warm and cheesy and yummy!

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Maybe a dehydrator might work because of the extended heat, but plain-soaking in warm water did not help me either. I miss my kelp noodles!

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Yeah, I tried soaking them, but no luck. I will try dehydrating them. I heard soaking them in an acid of some sort would do it, does anyone have info on this?

• NyahzNyahz Raw Newbie

Hi Drea,

try putting your sauce/dressing on the noodles and leaving them to absorb for ~ 45 min and they should be soft. I think it's the acid in the sauce that does the trick!

• Does soaking in an acid or dressing get rid of the bitter taste also? I tasted a dish made with kelp noodles, purchased some, and just couldn't get past it. There must be some secret to prepping them I missed.

• Yes, you need to soak in water and lemon juice and then rinse before using.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

well you know, I used to eat those kelp noodles and thought they were good with a little soy sauce. But my favorite was dumping a bunch of tomato sauce on them :). I did it with non-raw sauce when I was lazy once, and the crunch seemed a lot less noticeable because of the flavors in the sauce. you can make a raw sauce by blending sundried tomatoes with a bit of water, and salt and spices. it's super good.

• NyahzNyahz Raw Newbie

The only time I've noticed any bitterness is when I don't wait for them to soften long enough, but rinsing should do the trick if you're really sensitive to that taste =)

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I guess I'm weird because I really like the cruchiness and bitterness of kelp noodles! I'll eat them straight out of the package without anything on them (but they do taste better in a salad!).

Are you supposed to soak kelp noodles? Is it ok to eat them without soaking them?

• DreaDrea Raw Master

ok...I tried dehydrating them, didnt work. I tried putting a cashew based alfredo sauce on them & dehydrating them, didnt work. Would soaking them in the lemon juice and water work for SOFTENING them, if so, how long do I have to soak them? I have 3 bags and I dont want to waste them, HELP..LOL!

• Yes, soak them for about 1/2 an hour in water and lemon juice. It helps to massage it in too.

• Where can you buy kelp noodles? What do they taste like?

• definitely soak/rinse them first - they have a weird plastic smell out of the bag - this goes away.

then put your sauce on them, which should have some kind of oil and acid. let sit for 30-60 mins and they'll soften up a lot. if you let them sit overnight they'll get REALLY soft