Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sugar Addiction

Okay, I am trying to slowly eat more raw and less cooked. I don't have a problem giving up cooked meals, I do struggle very hard with desserts. I am the type of person who could eat sweets all day long and not even want anything else. Can anyone offer any advice? This is what is keeping me back! I would love to be able to give it up all together, but its extremely hard! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• SbutterAMflySbutterAMfly Raw Newbie

It makes perfect sense that you're attracted to sweet things

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

just eat cherimoyas all day. your cravings will disappear, immediately and completely. oh, yea, and definitely check out 811.

• Here's my problem. It is NOT sweets I crave - it is the salty savory things. Any advice for a weirdo like me?

• what is cherimoyas ? thanks, I will have to look that up! Thanks for suggesting the 80/10/10 diet? Can either of you recommend a good book? thanks again!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

it's an exotic fruit that tastes like cream, with a hint of strawberry and pineapple. They have protein, and lots of vitamins, so they are satiating. I get them (relatively) cheaply here:

http://www.rain.org/~sals/cus1a.html

The guy is a farmer who grows and ships the fruit. No transportation by trucks, planes, etc

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

sterlingmf, try making these cheesy kale chips: http://goneraw.com/recipe/cheesy-kale-chips

They are perfect for savory cravings.

• Maybe try dried fruits, fresh fruits, green smoothies.... If you like being in the kitchen, maybe you should check out Ani phyo's raw desserts...

http://www.amazon.com/Anis-Raw-Food-Desserts-Delectable/dp/0738213063

good luck, I love sweets too!

• thsi may sound like a dumb question, but how do I make dried fruits? Can I just purchase a simple dehydrator from the local Walmart and start dehydrating fruits? Is it healthy to eat as much sweets as you like if its raw?

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Hmm... Fruit should satisfy your sweet tooth. Bananas, dates, grapes... the only things sweeter than those is pure sugar! If fruit doesn't do the trick, it is probably something else within sweets that you are craving. And if thats the case, you'll probably just have to tough it out. But don't worry, its worth it!!

P.S. To make dried fruit, you will need a dehydrator. Excalibur seems to be the most popular and trusted brand in the raw community. Or, you can purchase dried fruit, but it might not be raw.

• Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

You know, I hear people say Oh Raw is good for your teeth. But I eat sooooo much fruit it's unbelieveable, the acid I think will rot them away. But still, give me a pint of berry smoothie over a packet of sweets anyday.

I am a sweet addict, luckily I find Raw has a lot of desserts!..A lot! Also sometimes even if its not that sweet, if I have it as a dessert/sweet I feel like Im not missing.

• I also have a big sweet tooth and struggled giving up sweets until recently. After eating excessive sweets one day and got disgusted with myself, I decided not to eat sweets for a while. After three days, I realized my mind was so much calm and peaceful. I was almost shocked to discover that not eating refined sugar could make such a positive difference in the state of our mind. That was enough for me to stop eating sugary food and go high raw.

• I too can feel a difference when I haven't ate any sweets. I still can't give them up...I struggle with chocolate!! Have any of you noticed a difference in your complexion since you gave up reined sugars?

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

Have you tried a sweet-tasting herbal tea with honey or with raw cane sugar?

• I find that is my first meal of the day is a green smoothie ( with LOTS of greens), I dont crave sweets at all, except maybe a little something after diner, but rarely. I also eat fruit during the day too.

While its true that there is a huge emotional/metal component in the craving, there is also the physical addiction to sugar. Try weaning your self off the refined stuff by replacing it with more fruit during the day to keep your blood sugar up where your body is used to it, and see how you feel. My guess is that you will slowly stop craving the refined stuff and be better able to tell what your body actually needs nutritionally.

Also, try seeing how youre feeling when you get the craving. Are you anxious a lot? Maybe depressed? In the past my cravings for refined sugars was based in something emotional, so I know how hard it can be.

Best of luck.

• If you drink too many fruit smoothies as I have your blood sugar will sky rocket. I just had a physical and my blood sugar was borderline diabetic. This has never been a problem with me, I recently visited the same doctor a few months before and had no problem with high blood sugar, after using the Health Master for one month this is the result plus weight gain from all the sugar in the fruits. She said to drink one smoothie every other day and no more.

• Don't they sell some type of raw granola/candy bars?

• SbutterAMflySbutterAMfly Raw Newbie

The 80/10/10 Diet written by Dr. Doug Graham has a TON of great info in it about eating lots of fruit. He explains why the diet prevents blood sugar spikes, and other myths about eating a lot of fruit. HIGHLY worth the read IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/80-10-Diet/dp/1893831248/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265223004&sr=8-1

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I agree with SbutterAMfly! 80/10/10 is the best way of eating for me, because I also love sweet things. I find that when I don't eat enough fruit I am more prone to eating cooked carbs.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Have you perhaps tried making raw cookies, cakes or bars? They do sell raw granolas and cereals but they can get really pricey.

http://lilearthmuffin.wordpress.com/

• i found this thread because of my sugar craving. i can eat 80% raw and still crash weekly (if not daily) over refined sugar sweets (bleugh! i feel so awful after). i never have any form of refined sugar in my apartment but other people's houses, my parents home, and the multitude of other refined sugar havens around me prove to be too much! i guess i should keep apples on me at all time or something. i would just like to not have the craving at all, it's so powerful.

• Strlingmf, I'm one of those weirdos too (crave salty stuff). As long as you don't have high blood pressure, I would try some of the savory snacks on this site and not be afraid of adding some sea salt.

I crave salt on food, and would occassionally get some grief from well meaning coworkers (who have high blood pressure). The last blood work I had for my work physical actually showed I had slightly below levels of sodium. (I didn't even know they checked that kind of thing?) Maybe your body is telling you that you actually need some salt.