Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw with multiple allergies/intolerances?

Im new so please forgive me if this has been posted recently, im having an bit of a time navagating :p. But i currious as to how many raw's have multiple food allergies or intolerances. I havent gotten my test results back yet but i know very very bad things happen to me of i eat peaches, nectarines,, soy, all nuts, some seeds, cows dairy/flesh/gelatin, eggs, gluten and a few im sure ive forgotten becaus eive eliminated them fromt he house lol. I know a few of those are irrelivent to raw but the rest of them like nuts, seeds, soy, and gluten create some harships with raw :(. Is there anyone else here living raw with say 10 items are more off limits?

Thanks for sharing,

Natalia

Comments

• Do you have problems with these foods when they are raw???

• Well some like eggs and beef i obviously havent tried raw (nothing wrong with it if you do but its not for me) andthe rest yes raw or cooked they make me highly ill.

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

I can't have gluten, dairy, eggs, corn, or any beans/peas/legumes, including soy. So some of the stuff used for flavoring, like Bragg's Aminos are off-limits. And no sprouted chickpeas for hummus. :( I use the recipe here that uses zucchini instead. I'm starting to suspect pecans, and I'm having an ELISA test next month. If they come up I will probably eliminate all nuts and seeds too, just to be safe. It's a little easier for me right now because I'm only about 75% raw this winter. So, once a week or so I have a bowl of gluten-free oatmeal for breakfast or potatoes with bell peppers and mushrooms, stuff like that. For me, right now, it's about rotating and having more variety so I don't develop new allergies. Hopefully, I'll eventually make some progress in healing my leaky gut and won't have so many food issues! Berries, especially strawberries, are easy to develop an allergy to so I rotate those in my smoothies a lot too. I do a lot of fresh pineapple or frozen peaches instead. Tomatoes are another one that can easily become a problem so I only put those in my salads a couple times a week. I really miss them on the other days!

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

I'm allergic to gluten, soy, some beans, some other grains, eggs, dairy, tomatoes, peppers, blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, dietary yeast, apples, and several other things. the most problematic for you will probably be the nuts and seeds on this diet. Soy isn't really a problem. I'll take dulse, some vinegar, and spices and substitiute for soy and braggs. Grains are not an issue because they're not really a part of the raw food diet. My blog has some articles on allergies and how I've dealt with them and I'd be happy to help how I can. This is one of the easier diet types to deal with allergies, which is one of the many reasons I switched. If you could let us know what you are wanting to make and having trouble with, perhaps we can help. Are you allergic to sunflower, chia, broccoli seeds, clover seeds, and/or fenugreik seeds? Sprouting may be the way to help supplement protein and amino acids if you can't do other seeds. Leafy greens in bulk and a few other foods will also help.

Take care and know there are plenty of us with food allergies here to help if we can.

Cami

Oh, and you may want to try incorporating buckwheat from time to time. It's not a grain, and most people tolerate it quite well, especially sprouted. freewitheft is right, rotation is very important as those of us with defunct immune systems tend to develop new intolerances or allergies if we are exposed to one thing too much.

Cami, have you tried sprouting anything that's off-limits for you? I've been told by a few different folks, including a dietician, that sprouting changes the molecular structure enough that the offending proteins aren't recognized by the immune system. I've been too chicken to try it. ;) One of the things that I would have liked to try is Rejuvalac, from sprouted rye seeds.

One of the things that I find so interesting about leaky gut and food allergies is the way it manifests differently in everyone's body. For me, a food reaction causes MS symptoms to come back that I got rid of a long time ago - fatigue, vertigo, tingling and numbness, etc. I guess it goes to show that it's more about the big picture - the immune system being all hyped-up and wreaking havoc in the body.

I agree with that...allergies are so much more than the sniffles! I get an increase in lupus symptoms every spring because of environmental allergies. It's nice you've had success with your MS symptoms. Do you mind me asking what all you've done? That list would probably be a little too long for here I imagine. I'm on LDN (low dose naltrexone) for lupus symptoms and it's been great, but I would love to one day not need medications.

I can't eat adzuki beans unless they are sprouted. That did work much better for me. I've been too chicken to try wheat grass because I'm allergic to wheat and grass and don't want to be reduced to a sniffling intestinal mess LOL. I might try Rye next because even though it has gluten I do a little better with it than wheat. I use raw sauerkraut and vegan probiotic supplements, so I'm not feeling the drive to do rejuvelac yet :)

Yeah, I drink kombucha for the probiotics and might try making my own, but rejuvelac is a lot quicker to make from what I understand. Thought it might be worth a shot and I wanted to see how it tastes, but still leery of the rye. lol From what I've read about wheatgrass, the protein that bothers us is in the endosperm, not the blade. So, if I were to try wheatgrass I would want to grow and cut it myself. I'm sure in mass manufacturing, there would be some contamination. My main problem is that my kitchen is so small, and I don't have room for all these experiements!

For the MS, I started the Best Bet Diet 2 years ago in Feb '08, which got rid of the gluten, casein, and beans/peas/legumes as well as most of the recommended supplements (the big ones being Vit D and a cal/mag with it). I was vegetarian then, but not raw, so I ate a lot of wheat and beans, not much dairy so that was easier to get rid of. That, by itself, got rid of the major symptoms of fatigue and brain fog (can't focus, made a lot mistakes at work, etc). I just woke up one morning and I was back to normal after months of not knowing what was going on. I also started acupuncture, and I was going more frequently at first but now go once a month or so. Worked on some mercury detox with chlorella. Then I started fasting and cleansing - did many short water fasts and 4 Master Cleanses last year but ended the last after 7 days because my hunger came back. I think I was too depleted from so much fasting and I'm in rebuilding mode now. A parasite cleanse and more mercury detox is also on my list when it feels right for my body. One of the supplements I can't go without is turmeric. It must be a really potent anti-inflammatory, because I definitely notice a difference if I run out. I've only had one major attack and hope to never have another. If I do though, I will feel like everything I've been doing hasn't been enough and will go on LDN. I hear ya about wanting to be completely med-free, but LDN is one I would go for over any others if I have to!

Sorry to hijack Fillie!

• i think people need to be asking the question more: what is causing the allergic reaction? what is the difference between someone who can eat 2 handfuls of nuts and feel great and people who can't have even 1 pecan? an ability to break down food eaten and manage a small amount of toxin. this something a healthy body should be able to do easily.

you dont see many wild animals with allergies to their natural foods (as berries are for primates). allergy or negative reaction to wheat, barley, soy, corn, all grains and beans is not so much of a mystery because these foods are in no way natural.

i think most people could remove their allergies by cleaning up their liver. if your liver and gallbladder are clean and bile is flowing, then your lymph and blood are also flowing, and when everything flows, allergy/sensitivity goes away.

if you're having digestive problems, seems you should focus on healing the digestive system first before getting caught up in food. you can't heal the intestine until you clear away your bile stones, which everyone has. (everyone who has ever eaten cooked starch regularly)

• jes-livercleanse.blogspot.com

DreamBrother, it's called Leaky Gut Syndrome. Most of us have assaulted our intestinal tracts with various bad things over the years, antibiotics, aspirin or ibuprofen, candida overgrowth, etc. that result in an intestinal wall that is more porous than it should be. This allows larger molecules of food (that haven't been completely broken down yet) to pass through the wall into the bloodstream, which the immune system recognizes as foreign bodies and launches an immune response.

Yes, healing the gut is the goal. In the meantime, avoiding foods which trigger an immune response and can have horrible consequences throughout the body, is rightly advised.

I agree. You have to learn what is causing an immune response and avoid that while attempting to heal. If you have autoimmune and food is triggering an attack, it's important to stop the attack and then focus on healing the GI tract, liver, etc. I think it's possible to heal from things, but it's wise not to ignore the reaction because it's causing damage on a cellular level.

You are right though. The liver is subjected to a lot of toxicity as our intestinal walls. Our GI tract is our first line of defense, and so many people don't have the intestinal immunity they should from a poor diet, antibiotics, medications, and the state our environment is in.

• Freewitheft - Wow i feel for you. Ive been limiting soy and corn for a while but last year i had to drop soy entierly (i can only tolerate very miniscule amounts like lecthin or a dashof tamari on my veggie roll) and with all my respritory problems i stary away from corn except when i really crave it. Corn is especially darn hard to avoid! And oh yes strawberries and mangos scare me some since i developed all these problems since they are so allergenic. So far no signs of allergies to tomatos but they do give me hot flashes when i am hormonal :p. Oh and no worry about the hijack im glad to hear about what has worked for you. MS, fibromyalgia, parkinsons, and alzheimers run in my family along with high rates of cancer and heart disease so i will soak up any information i can get:).

CamiHeartsRaw - Alright im feeling pretty well of seeing that i can have apples, peppers, tomatos, ect... Is your blog on here or hosted somewehre else it sounds very helpful :) (Silly e just saw the link :P). Thank you for your kind offer to help *hugs* so far im finding lots of things i can easily modify on here which im very thankful for. Im fine with sunflower, broccoli, and clover but have yet to try chia or fenugreek. I havent tried sprouting sunflower or buckwheat though so that will be a fun thing to try. Is buckheat still bitter once sprouted?

DreamBrother - I appreciate the advice but im my case i had the unlucky experiance of a full on auto-immune assult in which my body took my most common allergy prone foods for enemies. I didnt find out what alot of them were till i had already developed a very severe allergy or reaction. Aside from infancy which i obviously dont remember ive taken antibiotics twice in my life never smoked or was around it and never drank more than a small glass of wine once a month or so. I also have never taken an asprin and have maybe had 3 ibiprofin in my life so my intestines havent exactly been abused. I certainly do focus on overall healing and detoxing but for me persoanlly its easier to accept that i will never eat those foods again than to keep trying and feeling miserable. One day if that changes it will be a pleasant supprise :).

• of course, if you are having an allergic reaction to something, don't eat it.

i have a definite reaction to soy (soy sauce is the worst), wheat (and all other gluten), and raw honey. i avoid eating these as much as possible because i cant stand feeling bad digestively, itchy skin, rash, etc. although, since i've done a bunch of liver flushes, my reaction is much milder and my recovery takes 12-24 hours instead of 4-5 days.

that was my point - allergies can be healed and the body can become resilient again. i have proved this on myself. 2 years ago if i had 1-2 teaspoons of soy sauce, i would have such extreme intestinal inflammation, pain, bloating, and gas, it would have disabled me for 2-3 days. now i can have that much soy sauce, and although i may a feel a bit "off" or maybe a little gas the next day, it is not a big deal. it feels amazing to be free of the burden and the fear - every time out at a restaurant and that thought running through my head, "oh my god what if this is contaminated and i get sick for the next 3 days."

The IgE antibodies will float around in your bloodstream for a while, but if you manage to avoid the food completely they will eventually disappear. My acupuncturist recommends waiting a full year. I recently treated myself to coffee, it had been 14 months or so, and I didn't have a reaction this time. Yay for me to be able to have that as a treat very occasionally. I think that's the key - once you re-introduce it after the year's up, don't do it often or you will bring the allergy right back. It's a good thing really, because I don't want to drink coffee on a regular basis anyways. It's just nice to know that if I'm meeting friends at a coffeehouse, I could indulge. ;)

Unfortunately, for me, I can never do the beans/peas/legumes again though. Their proteins are so similar to the protein of the myelin covering the nerves in my brain that if my body reacts to those proteins, it will attack anything similar, including my brain. Lovely, eh? Just don't want to take that chance, no matter how good I'm feeling.

Fillie, don't feel too sorry for me yet! I'm still happy with what I can eat. Now, after getting my ELISA results next month, I might be really feeling sorry for myself when I see what else has to be eliminated. lol

DreamBrother, do you do the Hulda Clark liver/gallbladder cleanse? That's another one I should add to my to-do list.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Allergies and multiple sensitivity syndrome is largely caused by weak adrenal gland function not outputting hte varous chemicals and hormones that it should to deal with potential allergens.

i have wrote a basic guide to strengthening the adrenals - http://www.juicingforum.co.uk/adrenal.php

i hope this helps i once suffered from the same problems and i began reacting to every potential allegen, id eat and my face would go puffy constantly it was a nightmare.

Fillie, I forgot to ask if you were breastfed. A baby's gut doesn't close until somewhere between 4 to 6 months of age. That's why La Leche League recommends breastmilk exclusively for the first 6 months. If you are given anything else before that, it could theoretically make its way to the bloodstream and set you up for allergies at a very early age.

I've been working on healing my gut for some time now, but the corn sensitivity just started about the end of last summer, so I'm not there yet. The probiotics (I use kombucha for that) are important. Someone recently recommended the GAPS diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome), but it's not compatible with being raw.

• Thank you for all the replies everyone! I will be sure to check out the link you have been kind enough to enclude :).

Freewitheft - I was but not at first. I was a hysterectomy child so i couldnt be breastfeed till the drugs were out my my mothers system and she was stable enough to hold me. The only allergies i had before 2 years ago were to bee's and certain drugs. The only food thing i had ever reacted to was artifical cherry flavoring the rest all came on as an adult. I have trouble getting in probiotics since most of the food ones are dairy or soy based and most pills are comprised of gelatin but im working on it :)

Oooooh, are you ok with coconut? There's a new coconut milk kefir out, I think it's probably by Turtle Mountain/So Delicious since they make all the other coconut milk stuff. You might like that for probiotics. Haven't tried it yet myself since I've been happy with the kombucha. Or you could try the raw sauerkraut like Cami, might have to try that myself! I'm a German girl so I do love the sauerkraut. lol

That's really wild the way your allergies came on. Did anything else significant happen a couple years ago? May not seem related but the way our bodies work is a mystery sometimes. I really think I got set up for MS with a vitamin D deficiency - I lived in Alaska almost 10 years, and came to find out the sun isn't strong enough even in the summer to get sufficient levels. Statistically, the rates of MS go up with distance from the equator in either direction. And for many years, I took ibuprofen for any kind of pain. Then I went vegetarian and my wheat & bean intake went up so much, I think it all just came together in a bad, bad way.

Just got my ELISA results and thought this was a good place to post. What a surprise I had! I'm still reacting to the stuff I already knew about and cut out of my diet 2 years ago (dairy, soy, eggs, etc) but I knew I was reacting to something else that I couldn't figure out from my food diary. I suspected things like pecans and tomatoes since they are more allergenic, but it turned out to be things I never would have thought - carrots and asparagus! Wow. I will miss them, but out they go!

Wow.....I've never heard of being allergic to asparagus (sorry, I hate it when people tell me that about x number of things I can't eat, but I couldn't resist). At least it wasn't tomatoes! I miss them :) Asparagus I think I could live without. I'm noticing I'm reacting to things less, so maybe you'll be able to reintroduce them one day. I guess the key is variety and rotation to avoid developing new issues... It's a good thing you can still do pecans too...so yummy.

http://healingfromlupus.blogspot.com

Yeah, I've heard of one other case of carrots, but never asparagus. *sigh* Oh well. I haven't had asparagus since earlier this month, but I was having carrots up until this past Sunday. Today is Thursday and I already feel like I'm on my way back. Feel more normal than I have in a couple months now! When I look in the mirror I'm seeing my normal self - good skin, bright eyes, etc. instead of the tired looking woman I was seeing before. Still taking a morning nap, but I would bet that I don't need to by next week. Will be nice to have that time back to be productive again. lol