Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

raw food books

I was wondering if anyone could recomond a few good raw food recipe books for beginners

Comments

• I suggest Sergei and Valya Boutenko’s book called “Eating without Heating.” The recipes use mainly easy-to-get ingredients and are simple and fairly cheap to make. Second, a book full of many different types of recipes, mostly good ones, “The Complete Book of Raw Food” by Lori Baird. I have 10 books and the worst is one called “Raw in Ten Minutes” because first, most of the recipes take longer than ten minutes. I say even with a husband who is really fast in the kitchen. It even takes him more than ten minutes. Also, while the recipes look good and sound great, they don’t taste good. But even though I have ten books, I find this site my favorite source of recipes so far because people can comment on them. Many times I try a recipe from a book and it is not to my liking. I do have recipes from each book that I reuse though, except for that ‘ten minute’ one. Which reminds me, perhaps I should recycle it.

• The first raw food book I got was ‘Raw food made easy’ by Jennifer Cornbleet. The recipes are quite easy, I like everything I have made from it, it doesn’t call for exotic ingredients, you won’t end up with tons of leftovers because it is designed for 1 or 2 people, and you don’t need a dehydrator for any of the recipes. It’s very non-threatening, in other words, and I found it a really good introduction to this cuisine in terms of being able to immediately start putting together raw food meals. I get lots of good recipes from this site too—a really great feature of GoneRaw is that you know at a glance what kitchen appliances are required. My favorite raw food book so far is Gabriel Cousens’ ‘Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine’, but I sort of worked my way up to it. Terrific nutritional info in Dr. Cousens’ book, and I have liked every recipe I have tried from it—the recipes are more sophisticated than the ones in ‘Raw food made easy’.

Hope this helps.

• I totally have a suggestion!!!! (Okay, the reason I feel like I have such a clear opinion is because I began my raw food lifestyle by spending like all of my savings on so many books! I’v read them all, and they are all very inspiring, and I think the best book for beginners is “12 STEPS TO RAW FOODS: How to End your dependency on cooked food” by Victoria Boutenko. Its great, because she presents it in a 12 step program and its very educational. Although it does not have a huge amount of recipies, it has a basic formula for staple raw foods (like how to create any nut milk for instance). She also talks about green smoothies since she’s a huge advocate of that (her book “Green For Life” talks a lot about the importance of greens for a raw foodist). So I think its a really complete package in one book.

Happy reading!

• I’m with RawLibrarian, for info on the whys of raw, get living on Live Green and Jenny’s book is terrific for fast and easy. When you want to move up a step or two, I’m a hugh fan of Renee Loux and Living on Live Food Cuisine but there really is nothing quite like this site for easy “eat it now” food. In case you hadn’t yet figured it out you can click on anyone’s name and get a list of all their recipes. I love doing that, because it’s a great way to find ones you forgot about without going through the whole menu list.

• Eating in the Raw by Carol Alt is good for beginners (she isn’t vegan though) and The Raw 50 is good too.

• Raw Food Real World!!!!!!!!!

• Thank you all so much for your help! I can’t wait to get started :)

• I’m with Raven ^ ( above).. great book. I looked at several including carol alts… nothing compares to raw food real world. It’s a winner !

Best of all is, they have 1,000 recipes and use a vitamix for many of them !