Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Omnivores?

Is this OK to post here? If not, that is totally cool, and I will delete this.

Is there such a thing as a raw omnivore? I am not vegetarian or vegan and am in fact an omnivore. I am also by no means 100% raw either, as I eat cooked meat dishes and cooked eggs. I would say I am 80% raw as I eat a lot of raw fruits, vegetables, nuts, coconut, and dairy. Are there other raw omnivores here? I absolutely LOVE this site because the recipes are simply AMAZING! They really help me incorporate more raw veggies into my diet (which are HUGELY important… DUH!) and I am simply LOVING the raw desserts! Why eat anything processed (not that I did before I found raw) when you can have these amazingly wonderful, and even HEALTHFUL treats?! What can I say? I am hooked!! Thank you for this site! Just curious if there is anyone else like me who likes to incorporate meats and dairy into their raw lifestyle.

Comments

• Hi domesticgoddess

glad you are finding everything so yummy!! :)

i still eat raw fish on the odd occasion and will even allow myself to eat carpaccio (italian way of preparing raw meat) if i feel my body needs it.

however i do find when i eat raw meat i have a slightly increased tendency to fall off the raw wagon.

my philosophy is that we need to eat like those we are descended from…chimpanzees eat mostly greens and fruit with some nuts/seeds and the occasional small animal/insects. (obviously i dont eat insects, well not intentionally anyway hehe)

victoria boutenko’s book ‘green for life’ is fantastic, it focuses on eating like our ancestors; she advocates eating 2 quarts of green smoothies a day whic hwould be the equivalent in comparative weight/size to a chimpanzee.

green smoothies rock!

the book ‘the live food factor’ by susan schenk (amazon.co.uk) has quite a few thought provoking and informative sections on raw omnivores/carnivores. it is an all round fabulous book on raw eating, quite scientific and a big book but still a pleasure to read i go back to it time and time again. i highly recommend you get it.

hope this helps, feel free to ask other stuff if you want :)

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Frankly, I think people may have been meant to eat meat because our ancestors thrived on it until fire was discovered. On the other hand, they didn’t live long and had many diseases, but maybe that’s just because this was a million years ago and people were only emerging.

I look down on dairy because it’s not natural to eat milk after breast feeding age is over. We’re the only animals in the world that eat dairy after breast feeding….pretty telling, no? We aren’t suited to eat it after infant age, because that’s when all animals stop producing lactase, needed to digest lactose, in milk. I totally love the idea of eating raw omnivore, but only if it comprises all raw meat, fruits, and vegetables, etc, without dairy. I don’t know if you eat raw meat or not (I don’t because I simply don’t like it), but if you don’t, you are not an omnivore, just a raw foodist who eats cooked stuff too. If you do eat raw meat, call yourself an omnivore. A little bit of cooked meat isn’t very bad but my mother wouldn’t be able to tolerate that. Do what’s best for you.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Since this is a vegan raw food site (and feel free to correct me about the ‘vegan’ part if I am wrong), but I just want to say
    For those who eat meat – Please try to support local farms that raise their cattle, pigs, and chickens in a pasture (Free Range) and not from the Corporate Factory Farms that perpetuate disease & cruelty.

• domestic goddess – you are very welcome here – its a place for EVERYONE to learn of raw vegan lifestyles. yes, when in discussions it is assumed that the advice and recipes given are vegan in nature, (whether the giver/receiver adheres to a strict vegan lifestyle or not) there are many levels of personal eating habits in attendance. glad you’re here! good point greenghost.

from the home page:

Gone Raw is a website created to help people share and discuss raw, vegan food recipes from around the world.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

DOMESTIC GODDESS – I eat meat but very little of it. Personally, I don’t buy the arguments that humans were meant to be exclusively vegan although I do think their diets were primarily vegan.

Generally speaking I don’t do dairy but I have been known to deviate on occasion for a chunk of raw cheese.

Modern day commercial animal farming has made meat unhealthy to eat, such as animals being medicated, fed improper diets that alter their lipid profile, and stressed such that their cortisol production is way off. When I eat meat, I only eat pasture-fed beef raised without medication and roaming free on an open plain. It is very expensive but worth the price. That way the meat is as close to what nature intended and the animal has lived as nature intended, cruelty free. When I eat beef, I can’t tolerate it completely raw but I have always preferred it very rare.

I feel that I have fewer options with fish, chicken or eggs. Wild ocean fish is full of mercury and who knows what else so I rarely eat sushi anymore. Sushi used to be my favorite food. Farmed fish may be even more dangerous. I haven’t found free-range chickens that have been fed a natural diet. They are all being fed soy, which a chicken would not eat given a option. There must be a reason for that.

I don’t know if this proves true for most people, but I have cut my meat consumption to as little as one serving every ten to fourteen days since drinking hemp shakes. Hemp makes me feel well in a way that it seems only meat could. I understand it is a complete protein and that may have something to do with it but the minute I started using hemp my meat cravings dropped dramatically.

MAMA MILK – Thank you for letting Domestic Goddess know her post was welcome. Many members have posted abusive comments in the past about meat eaters. As a member of the targeted group, I was shocked to see those I deemed thoughtful turn so quickly. I was concerned about that when I read the initial post and am glad that hasn’t happened. Hopefully recent threads have provoked a clearer idea of tolerance for us all.

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

Ditto what greenghost said.

At first I was worried you might get some negative comments here, this forum being raw vegan and all. Was going to try to warn you about it, but decided to set back and watch instead. Very nice to see that you didn’t get blasted.

I have an ex roommate who was raw vegan, but then started raising crickets at home and added them to her diet (raw, of course). A way to get the meat without spending any money, without supporting the cruelty visited upon many animals in the meat industry, and without getting all the hormones and such that they give to the cows. It is the only meat in her diet, and she doesn’t have any dairy.

I’ve considered adding a few of the critters to my diet in the Spring, just as an experiment. Have you ever considered insects?

Yes, thank you Paxton Squiggledy. I too do not wish to make anyone who is non-vegan seem unwelcome nor do I wish to preach to the choir of folks who are vegan. I just fervently believe that if a person is going to eat meat they really should make sure they get it from a humane source.

It is absolutely obscene what the USDA allows at the factory-farms.
    And if a person who eats meat has to pay more to get it from a free-range humane farm so what?
    The life of the creature that is being consumed deserves it.

It is said that people who eat raw food are eating Live Food. In a similar line then a meat eater who eats an animal from the factory farms is ingesting nothing but suffering and anguish for that is how the animal spent it’s Entire life – in suffering and anguish. – No fresh air, no room to move, no gentle nuzzling from other animals. No peace Ever.

We have a choice to change that. We choose every single time we go shopping what kind of practices we are going to allow.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

My DH ate meat up until 2 weeks ago. The cooking of it literally made me sick. It must have been the smell. He also had a bad odor on him because he was eating cooked meat. I am really glad he gave it up

Personally I am free range, I can go where I want, but if some one came along and chopped off my neck, just to consume part of me I would call that cruelty. ugh That really sounds gory. I think high school students should take a field trip to a slaughter house.

I agree with you beany. And the the field trip is a great idea. But you know what?
    The government would never allow it.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i will not say much but i think if you had to choose which is worse dairy is worse than meat. for the environment and health and perhaps ethically as well.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

bitt we went back to the land in the early 70’s I did all the killing of the animals. Hubby took care of the milk. I still have dreams. He doesn’t. So I’ll just eat that, “Wild Asparagus”, and one day get up the courage to drink green smoothies.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

Hi! I am just a couple of weeks into the raw thing, but (cringe) I do eat eggs. The eggs are from my neighbor’s chickens, and are pampered free range hens that get to run around and peck at grubs. I just do not trust packaged eggs that say free range…. they are still indoors, if the door to the transport truck opens and lets a little sun in once, guess they can call that free? yeah right. Although I am going 95% I plan on eating 3 eggs a week, and the occasional piece of fish~ wild caught. My father catches his own fish from a spring fed lake, where the water is continuously tested, and of very good quality. No dairy though, just not into it

• Wow! I am glad I didn’t get bashed… Thanks for the kindness all! I guess I should have said that I DO NOT eat factory farmed meat… I know all about the issue and take no part in it. I also do not consume factory farmed dairy or eggs… so no worries there! This was just a topic that I posted out of pure curiosity, and I thank you all for your respectful answers.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

my neighbor put one of those plastic hosiery eggs in the pacasandra in my backyard. the hens are so broody, one runs to sit on the “nest” and another is lined up impatiently waiting, throwing a fit so it can get on! Oh, they are unfertilized. No rooster

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

The beauty of this website for non-vegans is that it helps us understand why veganism is important and it brings us closer by educating us in a positive way. It’s becoming more and more important for me the longer I’ve been part of this site. Instead of chasing non-vegans off this is a far more proactive approach and in the end will achieve better results.

Greenhost – that’s a great point you raised. Even for the vegans in the group who buy meat for their beloved pets.

What bothers me most about meat is how it’s been transformed into franken food that’s bad for us; how unnatural it’s become, ethical issues aside.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Many folks have already said this, but I just wanted to reiterate that everyone is definitely welcome here. Although our focus in raw, vegan recipes, we have no notion that everyone here is 100% raw or 100% vegan. This is simply a place to find raw, vegan recipes when you want them (however often you want them)!

• I always call myself a vegan raw foodist or raw foodist vegan because just because you’re a raw foodist doesn’t mean you’re a vegan, and I especially don’t want someone to put honey or any other animal product in my food, nor think that my lifestyle is geared by selfish/health reasons, as I am vegan for ethical reasons.

So…I don’t see why you wouldn’t be welcome here! We can’t assume everyone on here is vegan. You wrote, “Why eat anything processed….” so I don’t know if this is an appropriate question, but how are you eating meat if not processed?

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Another valid reason to make sure non-vegans are welcome is that most vegans are motivated in their dietary choices by ethical animal treatment, sustainability, environmental impact and health reasons. Certainly anyone sincere in those concerns would want to help expose and educate others on the topic.

I for one eat significantly less meat, almost no dairy, and far more raw food since joining Gone Raw (GR). That would not have happened if I was made to feel completely unwelcome by everyone. Really, if you were concerned about these issues, why would you want to run anyone off that was interested in the topic just because they hadn’t completely converted yet?

First, I noticed I am eating more raw food. Then I noticed I’m producing less garbage as a result. When I realized that, I started reading about and talking to GR members about ways to generate even less garbage. Next came the carbon footprint, political discourse, respecting each other’s belief, etc….

To me, GR is more than a place to find raw vegan recipes. Initially raw food info is what got me here but it isn’t why I stay. I see GR as a touchstone for like-minded people on a variety of topics we are interested in. And how lucky we are that all of them keep pointing us in a positive direction.

• Sarah1Sarah1 Raw Newbie

I am a raw omnivore. I eat raw eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese, fish and other meats on occasion. I find this works best for me and that I feel too lethargic when eating totally vegan for an extended period of time. 

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Not quite an omnivore, but I still have occasional vegetarian days.