bread substitutes?

edited June 2011 in New to Raw

Does anyone have any good ideas for bread substitutes (like a raw cracker or something) that is: fat free (nut free), gluten free, and doesn't contain flax? I did make a reasonable buckwheat bread, but I am finding the buckwheat very starchy. I've tried some veggie crackers but they don't stick together well without chia or flax. I did try some collard greens, but found them a bit too fibrous. Thanks for any ideas!

Comments

• Sorry...I thought I had a recipe, but I looked again, and it had flax (no nuts).

And, goneraw doesn't allow me to delete this post. :o(

Flax is what really keeps bread "together". What's a good substitute for that... and maybe you can make this recipe using that substitution:

Chef James Russell's Nut-free Bread: http://therawchefblog.com/nut-free-bread/

• What about veg pulp and Irish moss? I wonder if that would bind it? I may try it this weekend. I am thinking it will be more like a cracker. Or, blended spinach with Irish moss for a tortilla, I'd add a little salt and lime.

• I like the irish moss idea, daniefon. However, I don't know where to get that in Canada. What would be a good brand, or a good online store that I could google about irish moss?

Thanks!

• I can't find it anywhere but online. I buy almost everything from naturalzing.com, I just received some from them. I think it was around $12. Have you used it before?

• No, I had only heard of it recently!

• Me too and it's my new favorite product. I've made ice cream, pudding and smoothies so far. I really think you could take pulp, buckwheaties, a little salt and enough irish moss gel to stick it together and have a great cracker. If you are avoiding nuts in everything, this will open up some possibilities for you. I am the new Irish Moss cheerleader.

• I dont know personally but doesnt agar agar get gelatin like also?

• I've used sunflower and pumpkin seeds instead of flax adn ti works well... what about using a raw tahini to bind things together.

• I have made a really dense, chewy not hard, bread with oat groats and some quinoa. (along with jalapenos, nutritional yeast, onions etc) I found I needed to eat it with tomatoes or something juicy, maybe a sauce or dressing? Also, the nutritional yeast may have had an effect on the dense chewy-ness of it.

If you do make something like this, i recommend spreading it about 1/2 and inch thick at most, which might help. Mine was thicker.

Soaked the oat groats and quinoa before hand, and sprouted the quinoa, but not the groats.

• Ah, what about a coconut wrap using only coconut, cayenne, & sea salt!

This is Sarma's recipe (for samosas):

http://gliving.com/sarmas-cauliflower-samosas/

Agar is not raw - is it? Well, you have to add boiling water to get it to thicken.

You could probably try a corn wrap... and it may just stick together!

Edit: Hmmm, I guess coconut is a nut too. Oops, sometimes I forget... even with the word 'nut' in 'coconut'.

• Thankyou for all the good ideas- I think I'll try a sprouted oat cracker, and some kind of a corn tortilla...?

• Chia Seed is worth a try...

• I think you'd like it. It ia a rich source of protein and makes gel similar to flaxseed. It make a good binder in dehydrated cookies, bread and crackers. It thickens salad dressings and makes a good pudding. It's very versatile as a food and it works as a laxative (another quality similar to flax). It has more qualities than the ones I mentioned. So yes, it's worth a try.

Bananas make good breads and soft cookies/pancakes but they aren't very good for crispy things.