Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

ORANGE HANDS!

RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

Okay, I hope this is not serious, but my hands are, well, basically orange.

I was minding my own business when my mom came up behind me and blurted, “Wow, you’re hands are so orange!” (Or yellow, one of the two). I immediately hid them because I didn’t want her to get a closer look and accuse my diet (as she so often does). I just shrugged and told her they’ve always been yellow/orange (even though I’m not sure).

Well, now I’ve started paying more attention to them, and I compared them to my roommate’s hands, and lo and behold, she was a clean white-palmed person, whereas my palms were shrieking of Linsay Lohan’s fake tan-color.

So, I was wondering…WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH ME? I really don’t eat a lot of carrots or sweet potatoes, I eat mostly fruits and veggies with nuts and grains. ANd I’d like to know if anyone else is experiencing what I shall dub the “Oompa-loompa-hand-syndrome.”

Comments

• maybe you are jaundice. How does the rest of your skin look?

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

vitamin A is in a lot of dark leafy greens.. that is what makes your skin orange. How are your bowel movements? If you are getting too much vitamin A, ( not dangerous) your skin will turn orange, and your bowel movements will be very dark, close to black in color

• RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

The rest of my skin is regular white-colored. And no, no black poop for me. Maybe I’ve always been orange on my hands, because I feel fine!

• One of my friends is a Parsley fiend, and her hands are quite orange. It isn’t a problem – it is just as chicory said – lots of Vit. A. It looks pretty funny, though. I was proud when I got a bit of orange cast!!!

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Have you used any lotion that is self-tanning?

Do you use hair products that have color in them, even natural color, or henna?

Try making a solution of fresh lemon juice and soak your hands in it and see if that helps to return your hands to the correct color. I did a search on google for orange hands and that suggestion seemed to work for other people whose skin was stained from one item or another.

• My step-mom Missy got orange hands once, but it was just from tanning lotion.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

If your hands are “stained” lemon can help to remove stains. It also helps to remove stains on fingernails and also removes stains from clothing. It’s just a suggestion, can be done in less than 10 minutes, and if that doesn’t help, then calling the Dr. for their opinion is a good suggestion.

I was thinking that your skin might “stained” because it is just your hands…have you been working with produce or herbs like curry, that could have stained your skin?

However, like vegdude said, we don’t want you to be at risk should something internally be wrong.

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

OMG! i was going to make a nwe thread on this!!!!!!!!! ... When me and my mum went to a raw food fetival, she remarked that we all had yellow-tinged hands!... And i noticed that when i strech my hand out straight… well, its true!!!! Does anyone know WHY??!!!

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

ohh, yeah forgot to add.. just read chicory’s theory and yes i DO eat alot of greens (yum!!) so could this be it!? Thanks!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

it’s well known that vitamin a in carrots turns your skin orange.. but you have to eat a lot, i think. try to find some scientific info online about how MUCH vit a it takes for an orange hue to set in.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

well I haven’t noticed orange or yellow hands but my poo is very very green. sorry if that’s TMI but it started happening when I ate green smoothies. I’m pretty sure it’s because I have more chlorophyll than I can absorb. My guess on the orange hand is that you’ve had more carotene than your body can absorb naturaly. I’m not a doctor and that’s just a guess but maybe it’s true. ha.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

It is tough to get too much through greens… a single serving of greens is a huge pile! It is easier to do if you are juicing every day. My neighbor turned orange when she started juicing lots of carrots. I mean a tall glass of straight carrot juice every morning !

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I’ve been on a bit of a spinach kick the past couple of weeks. Most days, I eat a huge bowl of baby spinach leaves with a mix of olive oil, hemp oil, a minced garlic clove, balsamic vinegar and a touch of nama shoyu (if I want to be MORE raw, I use lemon juice and Himalayan sea salt instead of the nama shoyu and balsamic). It’s so delicious. The only thing is, my feet are definitely looking a bit yellow, particularly on the soles. Can I expect my hands to start yellowing too? Yikes! I didn’t eat any spinach yesterday or today, but I’m working my way through a batch of my version of Matt Amsden’s cauliflower couscous, which is loaded with parsley, cilantro and mint. Am I doomed to yellow extremities? A funny episode of Scrubs featured a guy who was constantly eating carrots and chugging tomato juice. He was bright orange! I’m sure this was exaggerated for TV laughs, but it kinda makes me wonder what will happen if I go to town on tomatoes, too!

• I peeled carrots and my hands and fingers turned orange from peeling the carrot. How do I get rid of the orange stains on my hands. I tried really hard scrubbing and using soap ,but it doesnt work:/ what should I use?

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Try rubbing alcohol for removing stains from skin, counters, fabric . . .

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Well, I peel carrots a lot and never get orange hands, and even after peeling beetroots they don't stay red for long ( a matter of minutes) - it might be because I have organic vegetables- just a thought. I wouldn't put it past the "producers" of non organic vegetables to inject them with dye, or it might be due to the pesticides- who knows?! I have noticed that organic veg is often paler in colour than non organic veg.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

The myth about orange skin and too much vitamin A isnt true, what it is, is fats being excreted via the skin. Commonly happens when you juice carrots.

• I had organic carrots, I didnt know carrots are fattening?

• hikurohikuro Raw Newbie

I believe he's referring to the detoxing effects of the liver, not the carrots themselves.

Yeah hikuro thats what i meant, carrot juice is known to help detox the liver, some who take in high quantities of carrot juice end up with orange skin temporarly. The myth was thought that this was due to the high content of beta carotene but really its the fats/toxins being excreted through the skin.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Orange palms can be a sign of hypothyroidism: http://msd-bermuda.com/mmpe/sec12/ch152/ch152f.html

• I have orange hands today too!

Except I don't really know why...I haven't changed anything different in my diet ( I eat a wide variety of fruits and veggies everyday)

It can be a sign of hypothyroidism, many raw vegans lack dietary iodine being that its usually not in high enough quantities or at all in fruits and vegetables.

Best to eat some seaweeds or supplement with kelp.

• annibellecannibellec Raw Newbie

i too have really oranage hands not from fake tanning my skin is so pale in comparison i don't eat a great deal of veg when i do eat fruit its usually oranages... is this why my hands are oranage or is it a deficiency of vitamins?

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Drinking carrot juice always does it to me. I stopped having it by itself after the first time I turned orange. Now, I add it as an extra ingredient rather than as the main one. 

• wombatwombat Raw Newbie
    I went to a few doctors about my orange palms and foot pads. I told the doctor I do not eat a lot of orange foods. I was told. You have to eat a lot of orange food for your palms and foot pads to turn orange. I had an appointment with my psychologist. I asked her if she knew why my palms and foot pad are orange. She took my hand and said what pretty orange hands. I have seen blue and green hands but never orange. She took my hand and guided me to the bathroom. She turn the facet on to warm. She told me to put my hands under the warm water and rub my hands together. I did this for a couple minutes. I looked at my hands and they were normal color again. She told me that stress can causes your body tempatures to change. The tempature change can cause color change on your extremities. Mystery solved. I hated having orange hands.
    ClaireT
  • emilytiddlywinkemilytiddlywink Raw Newbie

betacarotein is made into vitamin A in the body. I read that if you have excess betacarotein it is not bad for you, but can make your skin change colour. It's called caroteinamia (excess vitamin A). Compared to everyone around me who has pink undertones to their skin, my skin and my palms are very yellowy orange in hue from eating many many papaya carrots and persimmons...

ClaireTTammiTrue
  • Hi, 

You must go for self-tanning and give you the best result. LuxeBody Bronzing Mousse, the best bronze sunless tanner, is made with all-natural components. Natural bronzers offer a washable color guide for even application and instant bronzed results. The 10% DHA content is sourced from sugar cane and sugar beets.

• alexispalexisp Raw Jr. Leader

Have you used tumeric? 

ClaireT