Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Food Combining

Hi all, I try to live by the law of proper food combining, and sometimes a very strict form (eating only one type of food at a time). And I obviously foresee that to be a problem if I were to make any of these recipes.

Does anyone else try to do the right food combining? What I mean by that is for instance, not eating protein with sugar foods like fruit, or not eating fruits with oils, etc.

I think that would be a major problem because most recipes need something firm to give it form, and nuts usually play that role if you process and dry them. But the problem with nuts is that they have both protein and fat, so if you were to make something like an apple pie that has natural sugar in it, you would not be food combining properly.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• roadrunnerroadrunner Raw Newbie

Ive noticed a lot of the raw recipies have bad food combinations. Like strawberry/banana smoothies.
    thats a simple receipie but strawberries are an acid fruit and bananas are a sweet fruit. You dont mix sweet with acid, only sweet with sub-acid or acid with sub-acid. thats just one example. and yea the apple pie recipe I saw called for seeds as the crust mixed with raisins, again you dont mix protein with sweet fruit(seeds/raisins) So its just best to eat mono meals, for me anyway. I dont make raw dishes I just eat fruit so its easy for me to eat mono meals. But not everybody can eat this way, for me its the best way.

• Fruitarian too, eh?

pound it

but yeah it’s a shame that making a dessert is pretty much impossible this way.. How’s the mono diet going for you? Do you eat in the morning and afternoons or just at night?

I eat mostly bananas, bananas are my primary fruit because theyre the most filling and I LOVE them!
    I read the book “Fruit: The Ultimate Diet” by Rejean Durette and it stresses variety so Ive been eating other things than bananas but still mostly bananas and I eat more avocados now that Im not worried about them anymore as far as fat. I dont worry about fat and calories etc anymore, i just eat fruit and when I get hungry i eat till im full one thing at a time, and when i want another fruit I wait at least 45 minutes before I switch fruits so I dont mix fruits. Like if I want green apples, those are sour so they are acid fruit and you dont mix acid fruit with sweet fruit so if I ate bananas for a meal, and the next is green apples i just wait for 45 minutes or better yet, i wait till Im hungry again which usually ends up a couple hours later.Right now Im eating bananas,apples,mangoes, and avocado untill spring kicks in, we have an Organic Co-Op opening up here in May which is great because we have very little organic fruit here in Idaho Falls so this is good news.

Oh yea, in the evening time I eat cucumbers,bell peppers,and avocado mixed together, I mash it all with a potato masher and sprinkle some cumin powder in it and its really good, this is the only time I mix fruits, but its ok because cucumbers,and peppers and avocado combines well, I read this in the book too! the book is great, it really answered my questions for sure. People say fruit doesnt have all the nutrients and minerals we need and you cant live on just fruit, or fruit has too much sugar, bla bla bla well all that is talked about in the book and its all wrong, fruit has literally everything we need to live and as far as needing greens well cucumbers,tomatoes,peppers and avocado are my greens! It works for me, may not work for others but Im happy with being fruitarian.

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

can someone tell me more about acid and sweet fruits and the food combining problems? maybe that’s been my problem. i’ve been experimenting for 3 weeks now with raw, usually with one cooked vegan meal a day, which as of today i’ve dropped for my all raw diet.

thanks so much!

• I follow the food combinations that Natalia Rose writes about. She has 4 categories that she recommends should not combine, with some exceptions. The catgories are starches (which include avocado- which does combine with dried fruit), flesh (cheese), dried fruits/nuts, and fresh fruits. She also recommends eating most fruits in the mornings, except bannanas which are more dense.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Personally I have found Natalia’ Rose’s book to be the clearest on food combining too. I eat fresh fruit apart from all other foods but aside from melons I don’t sweat combining acid/sweet fruits. A ton of recipes on this site advocate combinations of foods that would send my digestive system into paralysis. Specifically bananas&nuts and avocados&nuts. Every body is different but those combinations are bound to mess up many intestines. My laymans theory on all this is that younger individuals may have systems that are more tolerant of poor food combinations. But as we age our bodies start to scream for simpler meals or there is hell to pay. I suspect that individuals 35 and over who are not losing weight/feeling optimal eating raw are probably eating funky food combos as well. Just my 2 cents.

• yeah i eat a banana-strawberry green smoothie everyday no problem. but lara bars give me stomach ache (dates and nuts). i think some food combinations are probably more egregious than others, but i really think it depends on the individual. i just think it’s good to be aware of food combining rules if/when you start to feel ill after a particular meal. raw stomachs are just more sensitive.

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

thank you, this really helps!

i appreciate the feedback so much.