Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

raw cacao for children?

beepsandclicksbeepsandclicks Raw Newbie

Does anyone have any thoughts on raw cacao for children?...is it too stimulating? Does raw cacao contain caffeine? I would really like to try that “tapioca” pudding someone recently posted (chia seeds, cacao and agave) as a treat for my 15 month old, but I’m afraid of unleashing his sweet tooth a bit and also don’t want him to get jittery. Thanks! Debra

lukkas

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Well, I’m 12 and eat raw cacao. I never get jittery and if anything it makes me feel pleasant. I know what you mean about the chia pudding – it’s delicious. I posted that recipe a while back but deleted it because there were so many versions of the same recipe.

I don’t suggest giving a large amount to a 15 mo old, but a small bowl certainly wouldn’t do any harm. I don’t think any amount would do any harm, but just in case.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

David Wolfe’s site states: Cacao contains subtle amounts of caffeine and theobromine. However, experiments have shown that these stimulants are different when consumed raw than cooked.

Cheers,

Kristen Suzanne

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

All the nutrition facts I’ve seen say that cacao has theobromine, which acts LIKE caffeine, but they’re not the same, and yes, I feel much differently with raw cacao than with non-raw, although I feel the best with the Sunfood brand.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

We just had Kate Love Magic Wood (www.rawliving.eu) to stay with her 3 raw boys. She gives them cacao every day. They are very well behaved, calm and a pleasure to be around. If you do give your children cacao, I think it is important not to give too much of it, more like a homeopathic quantity, and balance it with a heck of a lot of greens.

• beepsandclicksbeepsandclicks Raw Newbie

Thanks,all! I made him some of the chia/cacao stuff and it worked out great. I’m totally craving the stuff now…yum!

• lukkaslukkas Raw Newbie

Does anyone have any thoughts on raw cacao for children?...is it too stimulating? Does raw cacao contain caffeine? I would really like to try that “tapioca” pudding someone recently posted (chia seeds, cacao and agave) as a treat for my 15 month old, but I’m afraid of unleashing his sweet tooth a bit and also don’t want him to get jittery. Thanks! Debra

Can you share the recipe with me please, I want to make it for my boys <3