going off milk now-- need advice

What are raw choices to include that are high in calcium? I am trying so hard to keep up with required vitamins and minerals for my pregnancy and so far I am only having the issue of calcium….Thank you all—you have been so wonderful to us:)

Comments

• Green leafy veg is very high in calcium… also quinoa (sprouted) is an excellent source. Almond milk too!

• Broccolli!

If you really need help, go to here: www.thegardendiet.com

This is a huge family who are all raw. The wife said she has been through 2 or 3 raw pregnancies! They have e-books for sell, about 10 dollars each, I bought one and its well worth it. See if you can glean any raw pregnancy info from that.

• You guy’s are awesome! Thanks alot! I will remember to be as kind as you all when I am experienced and someone needs the help:)

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Milk isn’t even really a good source of calcium… But sesame seeds are! Tahini is a great source.

• Like stated above, milk isn’t a good source of calcium. Milk does much more harm than good. Research has found that in populations that consume the highest amount of dairy products (such as the U.S.) also have the highest rates of osteoporsis. Yet we are still told that we need our milk for our bones, unfortunately most of those messages are funded by dairy companies. An overwhelming percentage of the world’s population is actually lactose intollerant and can’t even properly digest cows milk. Our bodies simply are not meant to consume the milk of other mammals nor are we meant to consume milk after childhood. I strongly believe cows milk is one of the worst things we can put in our bodies. http://www.milksucks.com/index2.asp

Excellent sources of calcium include: spinach, kale, collard greens and almonds. Other good sources are: chick peas (add with sesame seeds and make some hummus), oranges, dried figs…. Most fruits and vegetables have some sources of calcium. If you are eating a well balanced diet of raw fruits and vegetables you shouldn’t have any problem getting enough calcium in your diet. Also, to have proper absorption of calcium you also need a healthy dose of vitamin D, spending some time outdoors in the sun each day will do the trick.

Best of luck to you and your family on your raw journey.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I’ve tried lots of seed/nut milks and the closest to real dairy for me is pine nuts and almonds. I like to blend up pine nuts with a pinch of salt and lots of water (about 3:1 water to the amount of nuts.) And then I use this over oat and buckwheat cereal. Yum. Blending up coconut in the same way is really nice and tastes like milk. I think this option will be really good if you’re pregnant as coconut water is said to be very close to blood plasma.

All the best

• Sesame Seed Milk!!!

When pregnant I defiantly think it is essential to be drinking sesame milk for the additional calcium your body needs.

I also agree with jkd_soccer801. check out www.thegardendiet.com She does offer an e-book about eating raw while she was pregnant.

Here are two sites to look at about the high calcium benefits in sesame seeds (preferably unhulled).

http://www.recipezaar.com/158844

http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch41.html

Victoria Boutenko (the raw family) writes about the benefits of sesame seed milk in her book “12 Steps to Raw Foods”. This part is from the “12 Steps to Raw Food”......

Victoria Boutenko says….Calcium, in nature, has a sweet taste. If we plant strawberrries on a soil rich in calcium, the strawberries will be very sweet. Sometimes we are so low in calcium that we become addicted to sweets. Victoria was told by a friend to soak sesame seeds and make sesame milk and drink it every day for two weeks on an empty stomach. She followed his instructions. At first she added some honey to her sesame milk. In a few days, she added less honey. After a week she didn’t need the honey at all. Then she wanted a bitter taste, so she switched to brown sesame seeds. For two weeks she wouldn’t go anywhere without her big mug of sesame milk. Two weeks later someone offered her a medjool date. She loves dates, but it was too sweet for her. She could not swallow it. That is when she knew the balance in her body had changed.

I know during my next pregnancy I plan to drink lots of sesame milk. Here is a sesame seed milk recipe using brown sesame seeds.

Raw Sesame Seed Milk