Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Too Much Raw Dessert?

Hey y'all! I have been raw for 6 months now (yay) I've lost about 13lbs total and quickly at the beginning and nothing since which takes me to 110 lbs. I am only 5'3 though... anyways I wasn't going raw to lose weight because i wasn't overweight to begin with but i am a health freak and RAW just makes so much sense. Here's the problem, when I was SAD i NEVER ate desserts. I was more of a salty craving person and deserts didn't offer anything healthy in my mind. But now, holy cow i can't get enough!! I mean i make Julianos pudding with 1 avocado, 1/4c cocoa powder and a little less than 1/2 c agave every night. WHATS WRONG WITH ME, has anyone else experienced this? is it because i never let myself eat it and now that im "allowed" im freaking out? To compensate i don't eat that much fat the rest of the day, in fact i only eat lunch and a small dinner and the pudding. I would also like to lose a few more pounds, nothing serious but thats not happening, its the pudding isn't it? Can anyone offer advice? Is too much raw dessert bad for you and will i grow out of it? that stuff is expensive!!!!

Comments

• It seems that you are compensating by eating less during the day to justify the dessert at night. Like you are anticipating that you will eat the pudding even before you may actually WANT the pudding. All in all if you were to say use the avocado on ur salad and the cocoa and agave in ur smoothie that would be considered normal and not an indulgence. It seems that the dessert is perhaps more than the dessert for you right now. And you know what? That is FINE! Just embrace it and eventually it will grow old. Maybe think about why you are saving this treat for yourself rather than eating more at mealtimes. I think that maybe the real question. As far as the weight goes...you are at a healthy weight for your height, eating raw usually will bring you to were you should be, trust that. If you start eating less to try to keep losing than you are not eating raw, you are dieting, and that may lead you into dangerous territory.

But ur good doll....don't beat yourself up over a half an avocado, some cocoa, and a bit of agave. It's harmless.

:)

• I agree. I don't think raw pudding will hurt you.

Maybe you're craving sweets because you're not eating enought fruit. I easily go through 5 bananas, 1 lb strawberries, 3 peaches, and 5 apples in one day. I don't really have any other form of sugar except for that although sometimes I'll eat a few dates if I'm really craving something sweet. That always seems to help. I also have 1 avocado every day, so don't worry about the fat content either. I think you're fine. Smile :)

• the reason all humans have a sweet tooth : we are designed to eat simple sugars. try out fruit as your staple for a while and see how you feel. :)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

My only thought is, that's a lot of agave to be eating on a daily basis. Bear in mind it is a processed sugar, void of any fiber. I would suggest substituting the agave for a banana. I have made pudding & key lime pie from that (one banana, one avocado, lime juice to taste- but I'm guessing you would use cacao or cocoa). You could also try dates, but I haven't made pudding from them, so I have no suggestions there.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

"I found this amazing recipe for chocolate b-day cake using pecans, dates and banana."

Oooooohh, please do share!!! :~)

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I was wondering the same thing - is it possible to consume to many raw desserts? I noticed that alot of the recipes that I find when searching are for desserts. In ani phyos book she says that she can eat her desserts as meals. But even though they are raw isnt that not healthy, to be eating desserts for meals i mean. Thanks : )

• Wow thanks everyone! This was my first post and i'm feeling very loved. :) Super suggestions!

Sypita you're definitely on to something there. for 26 years you are taught to stay away from the sweet stuff so I did and it's so hard to let myself go for it now! I think you're right, it might not even be a dessert per se its just me thinking I'm doing something wrong. Ahh brainwashing is a nasty thing... I will also ease my way into more fruit as well. Actually one night I had finished my pudding and looked at my mango and actually wished i would have eaten that instead. I think I'm making progress! I'm definitely going to try the banana thing pixx (um tonight). Thank you all for giving me constructed suggestions instead of saying, stop that!

I also made the reese's peanut butter cups from this website and they're better than the packaged kind. No lie

I even bought molds that look like them.... yummy

• I agree with pixx. You may be consuming too much agave syrup. You can make syrups out of dates and water and it'll be just as sweet.

Mikfizzle I wouldn't think that it's healthy to eat ani phyo's dessert as a meal. Even if the ingredients are natural and raw, sweets and fats are sweet and fats. Also, I don't really agree with some of the food combinations in her recipes...

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

There's nothing wrong with YOU> Your food choices could be healthier, I'm sure. I think you should try limiting agave consumption (if any) to 2 T. per week. And eat all of the FRESH fruit you want. Limit cacao as well, in favor of eating nutrient-rich foods.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

"Bananas are amazing things, it's surprising how different they can taste by using different techniques"

Yep! One of the few things I dehydrate: blend bananas. add in freshly zested ginger. Spread out in circles on dehydrator sheets, a bit larger than a quarter. Dry until crisp (couple hours or so?). Oh wow- yummy. I came up with these one day when I was absolutely craving ginger thins (similar to ginger snaps, only thinner). So gooooood.

Mikfizzle~ it really depends on what's in them! If it's all fruit, then certainly it is ok for a meal! :~) If they are fruit and fat, then I personally wouldn't eat a whole lot of it. If they have things like cacao, agave, maple syrup, etc, then I would eat even less.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

lulushka8 reposting, in case you missed it above- I would love to know more about the "amazing recipe for chocolate b-day cake using pecans, dates and banana" that you mentioned. Could you direct me to it online, or possibly share it here? You've got me wanting to tinker- but it would be nice to see the specifics. Thanks!

• I found when I started eating raw desserts with agave or maple syrup (ok - not raw) or honey, I began craving that sweetness and I would binge like I did on a SAD diet when I decided a piece of cake was ok.

I have found that substituting with banana (as pp recommend) or pureed apple or dates, I "crave" less of the sweet treat. Makes me think about anything processed in any way adding to the addiction of cooked food...

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I've heard good things about Kate Magic; I'll have to check out her books soon. Thanks much!

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Pixx -- Is your "Ginger Snap" recipe posted here on GoneRaw? I tried a search, but didn't find it. If it's not here, how 'bout posting it (even if it's just bananas and ginger) with proportions so it's readily available in the recipe files. I LOVE ginger snaps, and this sounds wonderful. Just wondering if there are some additional ingredients, etc.

Thanks.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Sorry, no I haven't posted it. And no, I have no "proportions"-- ack! I don't typically cook that way. I just futz around, taste as I go. That above really is the full "recipe". Next time I make it, I'll try to pay more attention, and add it to the files here. The few times I've done it, it was just one banana, and enough ginger to taste good. ;~)

I first did a batch with ground flax seeds, but wasn't real fond of it- though I am not fond of them in many things. I tried it without, on a whim- and liked it much better. ( I had mistakenly thought that flax would be required, given it's in so many dried crispy things.) If you do like flax, you may be able to obtain a more ginger snap shape. Without, they are incredibly thin, and crispy. They don't always get totally crisp in the dehydrator, though- they crisp up really well when cooled.

I should add: I don't like things overly sweet. Some folks may feel the desire to add in some agave, maple syrup, or honey.

• i love raw desserts myself!! they are fun to make and fun to eat :)

a favorite fix for me that is a bit healthier but still incredibly satisfying is blending up an avocado with a mango and some fresh strawberries. put it in the freezer and get it a bit chilled. mmmm! so delicious! i saw that on rawmodel's youtube site and tried it. it is wonderful and so simple!

• it really is! and so easy. i love simplicity :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

here is a good rule: make sure you have your greens first. then if you still have room in your belly, you can have some dessert.

sometimes the freaking out can be worse than the agave or whatever. don't stress so much about it! you will eventually work out what type of food are best for you. if you feel like you are in a rut try some other foods. can't hurt you.