How do I know what % raw I am?

AVLAVL Raw Newbie

How do you know what % raw you are? I understand when people say they are 100% raw, but what does 75% or 90% raw mean?

Comments

• I eat two raw meals a day, so I consider myself 66% raw. (2/3 of my food tends to be raw - some days it is more, some days less, but I think on average, 2/3 of my food is raw)

So, if I were eating 1 raw meal a day, it would be 33%, two raw and much of the third raw, I'd call it 75-80%, all raw with a non-raw snack here and there - 85%, and so on.

does that make sense?

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

silystarrfish, ya it makes sense. That's kind of how I saw it too. But what if all my meals are mostly raw but I have a thing in there that is not. For example this is what a typical day looks like:

VEGA powder with banana & strawberries

Buckwheat oatmeal (not raw)

Orange & 1 pepper

Salad with a lot of variety of vegetables, mango & 1/4 avocado

1/2 cup edamame beans (not raw)

2 apples

Zucchini pasta

1/2 cup tomato sauce in jar (not raw)

1/2 cantaloupe & strawberries

How would I measure that?

• I think "predominately raw" would describe your diet.

• I'm with sisterbecky - and if you want a percent, I'd say 90-95%, and if that is an average day, you're probably safe in saying you're 95% raw.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Cool, I didn't know it would be considered that high! Not bad for having started 5 weeks ago, although I was eating a lot of raw foods to begin with.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I don't think you'd be considered that high raw. I think the general accepted way to measure (if you really want to put a number on it - don't forget you don't have to define it!!!) is percentage of calories raw versus cooked.

So I'd say that's 75% raw for that day.

No worries - go at your own pace.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I agree with you superfood2, I thought that 90-95% was high, although I would really like to be that high.

I would say most of my calories are from raw foods. I usually eat about 2000 calories a day. My buckwheat oatmeal is 140 calories, the edamame beans are 100 calories and the tomato sauce is 50 calories. So that's 290 calories from cooked foods.

Ok, so I'm not that good in math, but I tried to calculate the % of calories that comes from my cooked foods. Based on my calculations, it's about 14.5%. So that means that 85.5% of my caloric intake comes from raw foods.

Is that right?

I was just estimating, but I thought you were at about 1420 calories per day, with about 350 from cooked. But again, maybe you have the exact numbers better than I did.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

superfood2, I calculated the caloric intake for that meal based on the portion sizes that I eat. Maybe I should have included that before, because my portion sizes of fruits and vegetables are pretty large. So my total was 1765 for that day. I guess some days I eat more and others I eat less, but on average it's around 2000 calories.

VEGA powder with banana & strawberries = 265

Buckwheat oatmeal (not raw) = 280 (I forgot to mention I put chia seeds)

Orange & 1 pepper = 140

Salad with a lot of variety of vegetables, mango & 1/4 avocado = 400

1/2 cup edamame beans (not raw) = 100

2 apples = 250 (they are large apples)

Zucchini pasta = 80

1/2 cup tomato sauce in jar (not raw) = 50

1/2 cantaloupe & strawberries = 200

Total for the day = 1765

I probably have other things that I might nibble on that I didn't write down, so that would add some extra calories.

It looks like 76% raw then (though not sure on the VEGA powder what's in it, if it's raw, what percentage raw, etc.)