Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

dehydrated avocado?

I was wondering if anyone has tried dehydrating avocado? I'm about to start a new job where I'm in the wilderness for weeks at a time and looking for ways to keep raw foods in my diet as much as possible. Do you think the fat content might make it spoil easier? hmmm

Comments

• I haven't tried it, but I'd be willing to bet that as the water comes out the oil will come out too and you'd be left with a greasy mess. Besides, it doesn't exactly sound appetizing to me. :)

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I should have suggested this instead of my "bump" but was a bit too sleepy and not thinking clearly. There are at least 2 recent threads that discuss raw when out with nature . . . one about a canoe trip and another on camping / hiking. And a lot of previous discussions mixed in with other topics. Here's the link to a GoneRaw search. I'd just browse the ones with appropriate titles. You can also refine this original search for more specific terms if you like. Just click "Advanced Search", leave the "keywords" as it is, and then add your specific terms in the "Containing . . ." spaces.

http://www.goneraw.com/search/node/type:forum hiking OR hike OR camping OR canoe OR canoeing

In addition to carrying dehydrated foods with you, you will probably want to do some foraging. But then you're most likely already up on what's available in the area in which you'll be working. Please do keep us updated. It will be interesting and enlightening to hear first hand what works best in these conditions.

EDIT: I don't know about the avocados. Were you thinking of reducing them to something akin to "leather" or grinding them into a powder to use in "instant" smoothies / soups? You could dehydrate just a piece of one when dehydrating something else and see how it works.

madave33 Deleted
  • emcemc

if you coat the avo in nutritional yeast, ground flax and some salt then dehydrate it for half an hour or so it tastes amazing!

• Thanks for the comments! I was mostly hoping to dehydrate the avocados into some sort of powder which I could then add to the meals (plain cooked dishes such as rice and beans). I'll be working as part of an educational/therapeutic wilderness program and am encouraged to eat the same foods as the students (I'm just hoping to sneak as much raw in as possible without making it too obvious).

I'll experiment with the avocados soon and report back!

Also, I wonder if anyone has had any luck dehydrating whole meals to reconstitute while backpacking? I was thinking of trying some to bring some raw soups as well.

I've not personally done the dehydrated ingredients for reconstituted soups. I do, however, have a friend who spends a good bit of time on a yacht and she dehydrates veggies to use in soups all the time. Sometimes she leaves them in pieces; sometimes she reduces them to powder.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

This is a fantastic dehydrated soup. http://www.goneraw.com/node/15235

• Can you tell me about this friend who spends a good bit of time on a yacht and dehydrates veggies? Maybe I can learn a few things from her since I'm new to living on sailboats and dehydrating food!

All I know is that she gardens during the summer and dehydrates a LOT of what she grows. They tend to sail during the fall and winter, and she says fresh veggies are too expensive at the ports, so she uses what she dehydrates (and sometimes pulverizes) to keep expenses down. I haven't seen her in a while, but will try to contact her in the next few days and ask some more specific questions . . . if I can find her. She's gone a lot.

• you could always grab some green avocados just before you leave and then sneak off and have a treat when they ripen :)

• I sprout. Staying hydrated and 'regular' while on the trail is a big part of enjoying the adventure. It's pretty easy with the system I use, lightweight 1/2 pint deli cups and flexible vinyl screen from the hardware store with a rubber band. At night just soak them in a cup with a square cut piece of screen rubber banded to the top. Pour the water out through the screen in the morning and stick it as is in one of the outer mesh pockets on your pack.

Then you can make fresh nori wraps or sprout salad with some grated carrot, daikon, and celery all of which can be unrefriderated without spoiling too soon. I bring a lightweight flat mini grater like this one: http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Hand-Held-Cheese-Graters/dp/B000BU7TXK/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1249963512&sr=8-26. Bring also some made-ahead dressing ( something like spices and tahini with vinegar instead of citrus for longevity without refrigeration) and you are super nourished, hydrated and traveling LIGHT. If you aren't into nori then bring some dulse or other easily re-hydratable seaweed (use your screen and deli cup!) for your salad - the minerals are important when you're being physical.

Also, a good green powder is crucial to add to the morning water. It can go into a ziplock too, for lightweight travel. Chia seeds are also awesome to add to your water for nutrition and hydration. Stay JUICY. Avoid overdoing the dehydrator foods, they are too hard on the body to use as a staple. Happy trails : )

• Sorry so late but try www.avocadosource.com they have a complete investigation into dehydrating avocados. My tree of Kahalu'u Avocados produce about a thousand avocados a year ( about a 1 ounces to a pound each) and I am trying to preserve them too. Good luck.

• There is a similar recipe for raw french fries in the newish book for the Spanish market Crudo en la Nevera by Ana Moreno. It calls for basically these ingredients, but dehydrated longer than 30 min. We had them at the last raw dinner we attended and they were delicious.

• i would say dehydrating plain avo would not be too good. They are about 97% fat if i remember correctly so there isnt much moisture to take away which in theory would leave you with a mushy but thick butter. I think the idea for coated ones sounds nice though :)

• Parachichi.

I hope this information is not too late. We have a company in Mexico that freeze dries avocado pulp and I think it would be just what you need.

We have a 100% organic avocado pulp powder that has NO ADDITIVES or PRESERVATIVES and lasts for 6 months in the "shelf". When you open the avocado powder and add water, it transforms into an avocado paste that is just the same as the fruit's pulp (this is the whole idea behind the freeze drying process).

About the fat comments. Avocado's fat is heart-healthy mono-unsaturated fat. So no problem on that side.... and fresh avocado has from 60% to 70% water!

Please tell me in which country you are located and I would be glad to send some samples for you for free to try it out in your trip. We would ask you to send us some information on your experience with this new product.

Best

Geronimo

• jeanjjeanj Raw Newbie

yes that is possible check out this dehydrated avocado recipe and this one too

it is also suggest to get a good food dehydrator that will help you however i am not sure for storing them for the longer period

• jacksanjacksan Raw Newbie
    jeanj said:

yes that is possible check out this dehydrated avocado recipe and this one too

it is also suggest to get a good food dehydrator that will help you however i am not sure for storing them for the longer period

I did it exactly like the second recipe once and it was not bad. A little strange to me, but not a bad trail snack. Definitely go heavy on the lemon juice as mine tended to turn a little brown even with the lemon. 

ClaireT
  • timh5timh5 Raw Newbie

Hey Geromino - please advise how I might reach out to you to obtain some more info on the freeze dried avocado powder you spoke of because my company might be able to utilize it for a new product we're working on - Thank you - Tim