freezer taste remedy!!! help.

omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

I am so grumpy! i put my yummy chocolatnanna pie( the second one) in the freezer to take to a lunch tomarrow and the dern thing has frost on the top, i know its gonna taste like hell! I have it thawing in the fridge to see if i can salvage it, can anyone tell me how to keep ice crystals off my frozen fruit and pies???? i have three things of arm and hammer in there and my ice and frozen fruits taste funny…hurumph!

Comments

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Plastic wrap! Not sure what your pie looks like, but if you lightly press the wrap right onto the surface before you freeze, no ice crystals!

• Hey but in that article you posted from Johns Hopkins, they were referring to dioxins being released in the freezer somehow from plastic.(not saying I don’t use it myself.)

depending on the pie size maybe a pyrex container with a top. or I’m wondering if putting it in the refrigerator prior to freezing would reduce crystal formation. Because there’d be less heat/vapor to rise off and then condense.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

thanks, but i try to stay away from plastic wrap, i put wax paper over it….avo, there is no real heat rising off a RAW pie ;) (I know… there is moisture in it though) any thoughts on funky tasteing ice cubes? the pie smells fine this morning and from the incospicuous taste i took , taste seems fine. i think ill put it in the freezer again for a bit before lunch no more than half hour….weird!!!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I think refrigeration before freezing would work Avo Cado. I would try that first.

Or, you could probably use brown parchment paper to cover it if you don’t want to use plastic.

• I was wondering if anyone else thought the ice tasted funny or if it is just you. You may be getting more sensitive tastebuds and other people wouldn’t taste it. You may have to defrost the whole thing and start over. We do that from time to time. My taste buds have been going crazy lately.

I can also taste plastic. They say that John Hopkins info was a hoax but I got two sets of glass tupperware because I could taste the plastic on other things. I also did a test a while back with the microwave. I put a bowl of fruit near it and a bowl of fruit on the other side of the kitchen. The bowl of fruit near it got rotten a lot faster and a lot worse than seemed normal. Not a very scientific test but it showed me. I mean if you aren’t supposed to be near one with a pacemaker- then they must be pretty powerful.

I also had to get filters for my water. It tastes horrible- I couldn’t even rinse with it. When the hydrogen and oxygen precipitate out of the air to form the crystals the molecules have to come from what’s around whether it’s in the ice, or other things in your freezer. It could be better to wrap everything in your freezer with brown lunch bags. You can leave the plastic on what you have already but insert those into large grocery bags or small brown bags to keep them from contaminating the air around them. Also there are parts in the freezer that touch water and can become moldy. If you have a freezer with ice that comes out of the door if you look up and push the little door back where the ice comes down there can be mold there- it’s weird- also it can be higher up on parts that have a fan or coil.

Sorry about the long answer but if you are going into business you need to get this solved in a big way. I would use parchment paper on the pie and coat it with some coconut oil first. Then, place the parchment paper on top of the pie to keep the crystals from forming and then wrap the whole thing in a brown paper bag. You may have to scrape off the top of the pie and coat with coconut shavings or cocoa powder to save it. But also have your husband try it because your palate may have gotten overly sensitive recently.

Good luck!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

thanks, WE! paper bags….DUH! im such a goob, of course, paper! brilliant! well the good news is the pies i make at the commercial kitchen will be left and stored there(county rules!) I had never thought about it jsut being my taste buds, hmmm, ill ask hubby to see if he notices a weird taste. i have a icemaker but its within the freezer. and i dumped out two trays of ice due to the “weird” taste and looked it over really well. what a great sourse of info you all are. I LOVE THIS FORUM! thanks.;)

• You could also make like 6 little pies in those little (like 2 or 3 inch diameter) pie pans. Then try six different techniques of preventing the frost.

Have your husband do a blind tasting of each.

Thanks for the vote of support germin8. not sure if the refrigerating before freezing technique would make any difference but it could be one of the six test pies.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Test pies. I like that idea! To be the tester that is.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Brown paper bags sound like a great idea!

Watch out for those wax or parchment papers, a lot of those tend to be coated with silicone! I gave those up quite a while ago. Plastic wrap was just an idea. I don’t use it cause I have the same problem as the others, I can taste the stupid plastic! Yuck!