Food at the lake

Food at the Lake

I'm going to the lake this Wednesday with my SAD family. We are going to be on the shore for lunch and will spend the rest of the day on a boat. I need to bring something that is easy to prepare, low-maintenance and hopefully something they will try. They are going to BBQ and I was thinking about bringing a massive fruit salad, but, when I'm in the sun all day, I often crave something a little more substantial. Does anyone have any good food ideas?

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Fruit and greens salad and maybe a jicama salad too? depends on how you want to feel after you eat. if you need energy, go for fruit and greens. if you want to laze around a bit, jicama salad with avocado dressing. :)

• Thanks superfood. jicama salad and avo dressing sounds really good.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

what about a big cole slaw with a little avocado. i make one that has cabbage,red cabbage, green onion, carrot, cilantro and avocado. the dressing is lime juice, olive oil, and your sweetner of choice, salt and pepper. sometimes i add jicama and thinly sliced serrano pepper., you can also add cumin for a spicier taste. another good one that appeals to raw and sad eaters is pico de gallo (tomato, green onion, cilantro, serrano peppers, lime, salt and pepper) with added fresh corn and avocado. all of my friends love this dish. they can eat it with chips, i eat it with romaine leaves or with a fork! Both are substantial enough to be a meal.

• Yum, daniefon, that sounds delicious!

• I've taken nori rolls w/ sunflower pate and veggies in them to the lake with my SAD family before-- and they actually ate them! Easy to stuff in a cooler and they're filling too. I brought them to a b-day party with another branch of my fam too, and I'm always surprised that they actually get eaten.

• ooh, nori rolls sound really good. I haven't had any in a long time.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

I really liked spiralized or hand peeled cucumber with blended tomatoes, mango, and cilantro on top (about a 2:1 ratio of tomato to mango). It's soooo delicious. :)

You could also try peaches instead of mangos, since they are in season right now.

Swayze

• Swayze: that sounds amazing! I'm going to have to try it soon!

We went to the lake yesterday and I made a jicama "potato" salad (a recipe from this site) and a quinoa salad with asparagus and tomatoes. It was easy, and everyone loved the quinoa salad.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Cool, let me know how you like it. :)

Swayze