My perfect pre-marathon breakfast: Chia seeds! What do you eat for breakfast/dinner before a long

I just ran my FIRST marathon (Seattle Rock-n-Roll), and had the most amazing experience. My spirits were high the entire run and I felt really good - nothing intolerable outside of the usual blisters, hip aches, etc.. For breakfast, I had a bowl of 3.5 T chia seeds with 1C hemp seed milk, mixed with gojii berries, buckwheat groats, 1T honey and cinnamon (got this recipe up here... thanks to whomever posted it!). My father-in-law drove me to the starting line, and that morning gave me a bad time about not eating more carbs. Ha!

- the night before, I had chicken cacciatore (my mother-in-law's specialty).

- around 3am that morning (I had pre-race jitters) I had 3-4 peanut butter balls. They are NOT completely raw (peanut butter, honey, dried milk, raisins and coconut flakes)

- I'm currently 75% raw

I like to think part of the reason I had such a GREAT race was due to the chia seeds. I'm sure it's a combination of things like proper training, hydration, a killer play list and the like, but I was so excited that prior to running a 26.2 mile race, I had chia seeds for breakfast w/ hemp milk, maca, gojiis, etc.!

What raw item do you eat for breakfast prior to your long runs? What do you have for dinner the night before? Next time I run a marathon, I'd like to up my raw intake. I know it can only improve my game!

Cindy

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I've never run a marathon and I give you a total thumbs up for doing it!!! That is damn hard work!! Usually before running, I have a green smoothie (spinach and then fruit), or a couple of bananas.

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

PS - after going vegan (from being a vegetarian), my chronic knee problems of almost 20 years disappeared along with alllergies, skin issues and a whole slew of other things. Now that I have 'new knees' I'm planning on doing my first 1/2 marathon this October and hopefully a full marathon next year. Never until recently did I ever dream I could run this much without pain and injury! Veganism and raw food have worked miracles! Be kind to the planet and the animals and it will come back to you two fold! I now believe in karma! :-D

Best wishes!

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

I used to be a serious road bike racer many years ago. I was a vegetarian back in those days until my team manager pressured me into eating meat/chicken (the old protein myth saga stuff). Sadly under the pressure, I incorporated chicken into my diet and my performance suffered greatly as did my digestion and peace of mind. When I went back to being a vegetarian (where my heart was at) I rode so much stronger and could handle multiple day stage races (some days as long as 80-90 miles), traveling, stress with so much greater ease.

I know one size doesn't fit all but I'm confident doing the vegan thing and doing marathons go hand and hand. Grab Brendan Brazier's Thrive diet. He's this super endurance athlete who does vegan and some raw vegan. I just started reading the book! Amazing!

Save the chickens and go vegan! Your body, the planet and the sweet little chickens will thank you :-)

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

chia seeds do rock for your muscles. Congrats on the race!! well done! I like a green smoothie before i run, and i usually make fresh juice to drink after (apple/celery) and eat bananas after too.

I second the book Thrive- its really great!

• Chia seeds.

I read a really good book by Chris McDougall, Born to Run. It's about running and the Tarahumara long-distance runners of Mexico. Turns out that one of their top super foods to propel them on long multi-day races is chia seeds.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307266303/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0739383728&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EF6RWM1FD828C0JZ930