Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Figs-- vegan?

Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/insects/fig-wasp2.htm

I personally am not totally vegan anymore, so this doesn't personally affect me. But I did think it was very interesting and was wondering what people on here might think about it? Especially people who don't eat honey.

If there really are wasps inside of figs, are they ok for serious vegans to eat?

Comments

• Maybe I missed it, but WHERE exactly do these wasps enter and exit the fig?

Even if it is as they say, i will net stop eating juicy, yummy figs :)

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

You have to go to the second page and click on the links there to get the answer to that question.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/insects/fig-wasp1.htm

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I both appreciate, and hate, you for this information!! LOL. Ick.

Yeah, I doubt I will stop eating them either- but, I may have to get over this first....

Edit: ya know...on hind sight I seem to recall being told by a classmate in grade school that 'Fig Newtons' were full of bugs. I guess I might have dismissed it as a joke- although- I never really did like those cookies! Nor do I like dried figs. But I do adore the fresh ones, if properly ripened.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Yeah . . . fresh figs are the best. I lost most of my fig tree to a bad storm a couple of years ago, but left the remains of the trunk. Last year the tree decided to come back to life. The other day I noticed 3 lovely little green figs on it. The birds will probably get these, but when the tree matures a bit I will protect the crop and have yummy fresh figs straight off my very own tree. Yummmmm!!!

OK, so now is there a little critter that lives inside grapes? My neighbor has a huge grapevine on the fence we share, and it's loaded. In another 4 weeks or so we will have a bounty of fresh Concord grapes.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

My understanding is that most black fig trees are self-pollinating--i.e. they don't need wasps to pollinate. My theory is that this means they're unlikely to contain digested wasp, but it's just a theory. I have a fig tree that fruited last summer, and I'm pretty certain there are no other fig trees for miles around.

I'm pretty certain this, um, issue is particular to figs, and other fruits (including grapes) aren't more likely to have insects than any other plant food.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

ick ick ick.

there are bugs inside figs, thats just gross.

:(

• Sorry everyone, ALOT of fruit has larvae of insects in it. It's how nature works. I am totally vegan- no honey or anything, but I do accept that I have and will eat bugs., I don't go out harvesting insects, but I do believe that they are a part of our diet in this way.

Besides, where do you get your protein from ;)

• PS, where do you think fruit flies come from? Why do you think non-domestic fruits are either heat treated OR irradiated? Because flies off all sorts lay eggs in side of them. Fruit flies don't randomly show up, they come from the fruit. They hatch, eat the fruit and become flys that eat the fruit and lay eggs for another generation.

With the utmost love

J

• I just got fresh figs off a farm last week and it was delicious.

Your missin' out on those little buggies people ;P

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

whoa that is kinda cool and gross at the same time. I'm having a little wasp infestation right now so i think maybe i need a fig tree. :-P