Tips

Any tips for staying raw on the go or in social situations? It seems like I'm always off somewhere else when I sit down to eat.

Also, does anyone have tips for staying raw despite cravings for cooked food?

Comments

• I find myself in the same situation. Theres always a b-day party or something going on and i want to go to dinner with friends for the company, not the food. If I know the name of the restaurant, I check out the menu beforehand and see if theres anything i can eat. Most places have salads. While it might not be organic, its better than eating the other stuff. Sometimes the salad needs some substractions/additions depending on the place. Most time I just eat the salad plain b/c the dressing options are scary. If I know im going somewhere where there will be nothing for me to eat, I either eat before I go or I bring something to snack on - nut mix, a sprouted bread sandwich, fresh fruits, even a little cooler with a salad etc if the place im going permits this ( i.e. a friends bbq - if they have a problem with that, probably not a true friend!) and of course I load up on water.

as for the cravings, i also have this problem. I usually do one of three things.(1) If possible, when I get the craving, I drink green juice. It usually helps curb it. (2) Try to block it and drink alot of water and eat something raw or (3) eat whatever I am craving. About 95% of the time, after I give in to the craving and I eat the particular cooked food I wanted, I dont ever want it again because my body and mind associate how horrible I feel physically and mentally afterwards with that food. Somethings when i fight the cravings, I find myself constantly thinking about it and overeating other foods to compenstate. So i just give in and let my body figure out that i REALLY dont want that crap!!..lol

• Good advice! Thanks!

I actually did that this morning. I had some of the zucchini bread that I was really craving and got an awful stomachache. Not doing that again!

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

OK, I am about the teach you.... drumroll... the avocado trick (da daaaaaaaaa).

Basically, like Happy said, most places have a salad. Well, just bring an avocado with you, and when they bring you the salad just put that bad boy on there! Its easy, compact, and delicous. The only difficulty is cutting it up, which you could just do on the side or ask for another small plate.

However, I personally bring my own food a lot of the time. Then, I'll order a tea or something to have a legit presence in the establishment. This works better if you eating in an outdoor setting or a more family-oriented, busy type of place where you're not going to stand out. It doesn't work as well in a nicer place...

Also, another option, which may or may not fit your personal situation, is - just don't eat anything! Eat before, or after. Don't feel like you have to please everyone. If they are good friends, then your company is enough. You might feel less awkward having nothing then struggling trying to find an accomodation.

• Great advice here! Sometimes I indulge in a somewhat healthier version than what I'm craving. I've had a veggie subway sandwich before, and I felt fine and no longer craved meat or anything.

Othertimes, tons of water, or just go RAW grocery shopping and get wonderful fruits or something I haven't tried before. Keeps my mouth occupied!

Also, when out to eat, order a salad, no dressing, and ask for some lemons on the side! Sometimes just the lemon juice serves as a great dressing.