Nuts vs Seeds

Does anyone know why nuts are difficult to digest and seeds are easier? Is it safe to say that we can sub seeds for nuts in any recipe? What about dessert crusts, and ice cream? Do you use mostly pumpkin and sunflower? Last question... If the nuts have been completely blended or made into milk or flour is that safer? I personally don't care to eat nuts but some things just seem like you need them? What does everyone think about nuts vs seeds?

Comments

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Yes, many people find seeds easier to digest than nuts. Different enzymes, I suppose. You can improve the digestibility of nuts by soaking first (then dehydrating, depending on the recipe). You may also find some nuts are easier on your system than others.

Sunflower seeds are a pretty good substitute - and cheaper than most raw nuts. I use sunflower, pumpkin, pine nuts (which are a seed, not a nut), flax, hemp, umm...what else? I don't use too many of the grain-like seeds like quinoa, at least not raw.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Read about soaking nuts and seeds.

Basically, nuts & seeds contain "enzyme-inhibitors", which are naturally occuring make them difficult to digest. The purpose is to prevent them from growing before they are actually in the soil. Makes sense. So, in order to get rid of the inibitors, soak them in water (most need about 8 hours). Drain the water, rinse them off, preseto. Much easier to digest. If you have seeds, you can then continue to sprout them. Another benefit of soaking besides digestion is volume. The nuts/seeds will expand. And if you sprout the seeds, they wil gain even more nutrition and grow even bigger. More cost effective. Nice.

Also, you can subtitute seeds in some recipes, but nuts have more fat and therefore create a certain consistancy/taste that "makes" a lot of recipes. Experiment, I guess.