Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

So, what made you go Raw

Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

As a Newbie to the board, I thought I would ask something that's probably been asked loads of times.

But I want to know what made you go Raw and when?

For me, I'm admittedly only 50% Raw - and that's mainly desserts. I'm easing myself in. I went Vegetarian and then Vegan (they were for animals sakes) but I went raw because I still felt unhealthy eating all the Vegan junk and processed foods. I've made all my desserts raw because that way at least my main source of junk was made healthy - does that make sence?

Anyway, enough about me..what about you?

Comments

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I've struggled with an eating disorder for years and went through therapy and a hospital treatment, but I kept on relapsing because I just didn't "feel right" eating "normally" like everyone else. I have always been into eating lots of raw fruits and vegetables but during treatment I was always forced to eat from every food group, so meat, bread, cheese, junk, etc. It made me feel horrbile about myself. So when I finished my hospital program in April I decided to go raw and I feel so much better. I don't want to say that I am "cured" from my eating disorder but I feel better about myself and feel les anxious about eating.

• Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

I completely understand that! I think it's a classic of case that because something is concidered normal or is what's done - doesn't mean it's right. Its understandable that you rejected all theses factory farmed and chemical laden foods that we are told we should be eating.

It's funny actually the amount of people that question what I eat - I can't help but reply 'why aren't you asking these questions to the goverment' I do believe our 'way of eating' is camouflaged by lies and rumours and so although Vegetarian is now 'normal' people are still coming to term with veganism and lets face it, we are a far cry away for getting Raw to be acceptable.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i became raw because i wanted to get in touch with my body. like avl, i had an eating disorder and i wasn't treating my body well. i also had allergies, asthma, ibs, and proctitis (not pretty) and was basically miserable. the medicine i was taking for all my problems did nothing to help them, so i knew i needed a drastic change in my lifestyle. i think going raw really helped me realize how easy life can be and it's us who make it more difficult.

• Wow, I too have an eating disorder. Three girls so far with one, eh?

Yeah I've always felt very anxious eating cooked foods in front of people, but when i eat raw, I feel guilt-free and I can just chow down in front of everyone. I have to be careful in falling off the wagon because I know I could easily relapse. But going raw is much more than just a cure for my eating disorder. It's the answer for EVERYTHING to me. Being raw is my ideal lifestyle. I believe it brings healing in multiple ways. I have complete trust in that.

• I don't know if over eating processed poison "Food" to the point were you are so depressed & over weight you got to the point of being afraid to leave your bedroom is a eating disorder, but if it is, than that is what got me into raw. I still very much struggle with it. I'm trying so hard. But I've lost 40 Ib's to raw so far. Processed food is a true addiction to me.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

At the start of last year I felt unfit, unhealthy and in need of some kind of change.

I started running and found it really addictive. As I got more into my training I started thinking about my diet in regards to getting the maximum amount of energy. I stumbled across a book called Eating for Energy, which really promoted raw food and it all made complete sense. I then scoured the web for more information and was amazed to find so many sites on raw foodism. It opened up a whole new world to me and I found it all really fascinating. I started eating high raw from that point and although I can't see myself becoming 100%, I have moved to a much simpler way of eating since I started. I love this way of eating and can't see myself ever going back.

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

I've always preferred eating lots of fruits and vegetables over processed foods. So when I read "12 Steps to Eating Raw" I really wanted to try eating raw immediately. I felt so much better and had so much more energy so I decided to continue eating raw. I fell of the wagon a few times at the beginning but now it's easier for me to eat 99% raw.

• i went raw to acheive better health and I wanted to lower or get off of high blood pressure meds and to lose weight. I have lost 9 lbs, and at my check up last week the doctor took me off my blood pressure meds. Yeah. As another side effect I did not know that the pain in my hips at night when I sleep would just disappear. I quit wearing deoderant, no need to, I just use essential oils. I have found that, since going raw, I have a distinct craving for natural smells only. I no longer wear perfume or perfumed lotions, only essential oils or lotions made with them. Also, I am sleeping all night now, and have energy all day. And, I have noticed I don't get tired in the afternoons, no more slumps. I have been raw for 21 days.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

rawtexan, you could be a poster child for raw!!! what kind of oils do you use?? i quit wearing deodorant for about 6 months but then went back to it because my b-o was rank. i work out constantly and needed something to make me smell presentable, at the least haha

• Make that 4 girls with eating disorders. ;]

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

i've posted this on other topics throughout the forum, but here is why today I am raw.

Long story short :I didn't eat great, but I didn't eat horrible. I ate normal sad food, but not really any fast food. I had precanerous cells in my cervix. I used traditional medicine, and they first froze me, then surgery twice. All to no avail. I took matters into my own hands, and did some research. After much research and reading "A cancer battle plan" I went to a very low saturated fat (other good fats were fine, and i ate avocados galore) Stopped eating meat almost entirely, but at that time still used dairy. Through juicing, vitamins, and low fat, I normalized my cells. Alas I was eating that way because I had to. Time goes on. Me and my fiancee were eating in a way that by last christmas i was 135, him also weighing more than I wanted to. We came back, and went to high fiber with veggies, and managed to cut out cheese. We didn't even really miss it (we mostly had it in black bean tacos anyway). At this point I learn more about the food industry. Learn about GMO, "Natural Flavors", and every other added ingredient they put in food. I couldn't ever figure out why I felt so addicted to silk soy milk. Now I think I know why. Companies make so much money on people adding their addictive "natural flavors" that we just keep coming back for more. So we tried to look at labels, and cut out the non whole-food stuff. I had been briefly been introduced to raw back with those precancerous cells, and so when a coworker invited me to a "raw food" party we decided to go. we had a great time. He left for three weeks. I did the master cleanse. I made the most awful cooked soup in my entire life, my first cooked meal after the master cleanse, and I took it as an omen. I went raw. He came back, and he went raw. I am now 115, happy, healthy and loving life. (now i just need a record deal ;)

p.s. megan lyne it is indeed addicting literally and to the nth degree. Don't feel mad at yourself that you were addicted, hell most people don't even realize how it's affecting them. The important thing is to forgive yourself and find ways to love raw more than you love that addiction, then you'll be hooked on raw for life.

• liger99liger99 Raw Newbie

I went raw about three months ago. I've lost close to 50 lbs, I'm running all the time, and I feel great!

The reason I went into raw foods in the first place was to lose weight. I do have an eating disorder(s), and compulsive overeating has always been the forefront, with bulimia and anorexia/orthorexia by its side (Don't worry, I'm taking therapy)

I was vegetarian, then vegan, but I knew there was somehing missing...just one more level of health. That's when I discovered raw foods. After many starts and stops, binges and fasts, I finally got the hang of the diet. I kept putting one step in front of the other, and just taking it day by day. I stayed 100% low fat raw for about 3 1/2 months. I was loving myself and feeling close to nature. I was in love with life! But, my poor body image crept up on me. My therapist said, I "covered up years of negativity and self-loathing with a few months worth of positive."

Though I believe in the power of positive thinking 100%, I became overwhelmed, and for the past two weeks I binged non-stop on SAD foods...the only thing I didn't eat was meat, thank GOD!

But, starting this past Sat., (the 8th), I'm back to 100% raw. It's really tough though, because as Megan Lyne said, processed SAD food IS addicting. I literally feel like I'm having withdrawels, like a drug user or something. It's tough, but it gets easier every day. Just one day at a time.

• Raw PassionRaw Passion Raw Newbie

Wow, so there seems to be quite a few people with eating disorders. I think it's strange what is now concidered 'normal' like it's okay to be shovelling junk down your throat and eating animal flesh - but if you give up eating meat and processed food, you're a bit odd.

People always say to me ' do you get enough protein' or 'where do you get Iron from?' I just want to turn around and say it's not my health you should be worried about.

I do believe Raw is definitly a healing way of life as all you brilliant people have proved, you're conquering your disorders and eating the way we *should* be eating. I definitly respect you for what you have done.

• I had depression and anxiety! Now I feel awesome almost always. Three months 100% raw. It took three days (juice fasting) to smack down the baddies, and about two and a half months before I felt like a million bucks.

I still hate waking up though. Hoping that changes.