Protein powders for raw vegans?

Any recommendations for decent tasting protein powder supplements for raw vegans?

Thanks

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

None. All the protein you need is in the food, but you have to put in the work to use it.

Of course, it does depend on your purpose. If you want to be "bulkier" on raw, then I suppose it might help you out. However, if you are worried about getting enough protein, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I was a gym rat before going raw, drinking whey protien, going to the gym 4 or 5 times a week. I also ran a lot. After going raw protein became a paranoia. I ate tons of nuts and even considered doing raw eggs at one point. One concern of mine was how much smaller I got. I lost about 15 pounds and some of my workout peers were jeering me for looking so skinny. I also did lose some strength as well, gauged by my pullups which went from 20 down to 12.

However, I learned that all I needed was patience. It took my body about a year to chemically adjust to the point where I was back to the same weight and strength. Compared to when I was a gym rat two years ago, I am equal weight, comprable strength (don't put nearly the same amount of time into working out, but pullups were back up to 20 at one point), but I eat 0 meat, 0 supplements, far fewer nuts, and far less in calories overall. I don't know where you are personally, but I would encourage you trust your instincts and don't get discouraged if you don't get immediate results, you might seem some "bad" before you see the good.

P.S. Although if you really want to I have heard good things about Sunwarrior Protien

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I have heard really wonderful things about sunwarrior protien - but it is expensive.

I use a hemp protien powder, while its completly vegan its not 100% raw.

However it makes me feel better, just to make sure that I am getting the proper levels of nutrients in my diet (even though i eat a varied diet)

• I use Ruths raw hemp powder. It is entirely raw and has a very high count in protein. Look it up at the health food store.

• missemymissemy Raw Newbie

I understand all of that, but have trouble with my blood sugar level, only on day 3 I think, but after a smoothie I am hyper till I crash. any suggestions?

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Missemy, get the fat out of your diet except 1/3 of an avocado a day.

Tukiville, everything as far as nutrients in their perfect balance is in WHOLE ripe, fesh foods, meaning not refined, not processed, not isolated, not dehydrated. If you want to risk imbalance and get excess protein, Sunwarrior is your best choice, in my opinion.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Superfood2 has great advice if you also plan on doing a lot of intense exercise every day, at least a couple hours.

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

each to his own......

My husband has been slowly transitioning from cooked vegan to more raw vegan. He loves Brendan Brazier's smoothies from his book, the Thrive Diet. Some smoothies call for hemp protein powder which is cold pressed and labeled raw (not 100% sure it's truly raw though). It seems to be working for him. After an 11 mile run last sunday I also made a recovery pudding that inluded hemp protein powder and the recipe worked great. I recovered quite well and rather quickly. That recovery pudding was also Brendan Brazier's recipe.

I prefer to get my protein from greens and unprocessed raw foods. But that hemp protien powder has been treating us well. All in moderation of course. After my first half marathon in October, you can bet I'll be using a little hemp protien powder afterwards in my recovery food/pudding :-)

Brendan is a highly successful ultra marathon champ in Canada and a professional raw vegan triathlete with almost a decade of experimenting with raw vegan foods. Check his book out! A great book for athletes and non-athletes...(I don't get a commision or anything. I just love his book and feel I agree with his philosphies about food and recovery and health)

for photos of my pudding and run, you can check out my blog :-)

http://beautifullivingfood.blogspot.com/2009/08/white-chocolate-blueberry-cheesecake.html

page down to the bottom of my post :-)