Hungry

Hi, I'm new to raw food, been doing it for 2 weeks now. Will the hungry ever go away. I have so much to do and can't always be hungry. I think I'm eating enough.

Morning is fresh fruit ( after that I'm not hungry)

Lunch is smoothie, greens, tomatoes, carrots and banana, (2 glasses)

Supper is salads

Before bed raw nuts

I don't know really how much I'm suppose to eat. I can't buy books yet because I don't have the money. I don't have a juicer yet either but next month I will be getting one, if I can get pass the hungry.

Please can anyone help me?

Thank You

charliegirl

Comments

• Can anyone please help me?

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

First, try to stop eating right before you go to bed. Eating this late causes your digestive system to work while you sleep instead of allowing your body to recover and cleanse. If you stop doing that, then you will be able to eat a bigger breakfast which will help out your day a lot. I know its hard, I have had struggles with it too. If you can't cut it off all at once, then just try to inch it back hour by hour. Leave at least three hours before your last meal and bedtime, that is a good general guideline. And if you feel like you just have to eat before bed, try to do something less heavy than nuts, like some fruit.

Other than that, you might simply try eating larger portions. Although, it will be hard at first. You're going to learn what true hunger is (which you will rarely if ever experiance while eatin 3x per day). You see, a "full" feeling to most people is actually feeling sick. Since cooked junk foods don't satiate the body with proper nutrients, the body keeps calling for more until it physically can't take any more. With high quality raw food, the body is getting more nutrients from less food, and so you are less likely to get that traditional "full" feeling that you are used to.

This is hard at first because psychologically we want that feeling. It is kind of like getting high. But don't worry, with time you will adapt. But I can assure you, it is mostly all in your head. You are probably eating enough. However, if the stressful feeling is too much for you, start out with not eating too late, then eat more during the day. Also, hopefully some others will give some good advice as well :)

• Thank You Eecho

I will try everything you said.

Take care

charliemum

• Eat every few hours, that works for me. Snack on lots of fresh fruit and veggies in between.

And if you want something filling, add avocado to your salads.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Well, keep in mind that everytime you eat your body has to work, using energy. Also constantly stimulating your digestive system drives up metabolism which then becomes more active then it needs to be. Eating consistantly throughout the day is more of a weight loss technique... but I will concede that everyone is different and it could work for some people. Try it, it could help with your hunger. But I think the ultimate goal is to not snack.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I would try upping your portions a bit... i think you might need to consume more calories in order to maintain your current weight (if thats your goal) even to lose weight you still should eat a minumium of 1700. I would try more blended things, and maybe some denser foods like raw banana soft serve. Smoothies are good too :)

Good Luck!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

You can figure out what your caloric intake should be online based on your lifestyle, size, etc. Then you can use one of the many fitness/nutrition sites to plug in what you're eating and find out how much calories that all is. I believe the one Pixx recommends is Fitday.com. There are dozens of them...there are even iPhone apps.

There's no excuse for not knowing how much food you need to sustain your body, and you don't need to spend any money on books. You DO need to take responsibility for your health.

Also, I don't think you're eating nearly enough food. If you get enough to eat during the day you probably won't want/need to eat before bed. Over time you may find you don't need as much food as you did while you were transitioning to different foods, but it's only been two weeks and your body isn't used to the new diet.

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

I don't think you are eating enough either. Eat a few more bananas or avocados. They are pretty sustaining and help you stay raw. When you get your juicer, make sure you add some strong green juices like kale, watercress or parsley (mixed with fruit and citrus juices). They can help take the edge off your hunger. Also I keep a stash of dried prunes in my desk at work. If I really need something I have one of these - they help alot. Also because they have a dramatic effect on my bowels if I eat more than 3 a day, it restrains me from OD'ing on them and eating the whole pack.

Good luck with your transition. The biggest tip I can offer is that eating alot will help you stay raw and the longer you are raw the less you will feel you need.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I know different things work for different people, but for me to keep ticking along nicely, I need to eat every few hours. I have always been a grazer and snack through out the day, normally on fruit or carrot sticks/hummus, etc.

This really helps me keep going and I'm also quite active so need the carbs/sugars.

Little and often has always been the way I've felt my best so don't be afraid to nibble in between meals if you are hungry. If you are new to raw, you'll probably need to eat lots whilst your body is adapting.

Try a few different things and see what makes you feel good. :-)

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Also Charlie - exercise. If you put sufficient effort into it, this will do a couple things for you:

1) Give you a truer sense of hunger so that you will be more pleased with a wider variety of foods

2) Stimulate your digestive system so that your body absorbs the food better

3) Make you less hungry later in the day (counter-intuitive, I know)

4) Get you in better shape.

5) Keep you occupied.

Also just keep busy in general. You know when you're doing something really fun/exciting, and before you know it the whole day goes by and you realize you haven't eaten in a while? Well, thats a picture of what its really supposed to be like. Keep yourself busy and your thoughts of hunger might not even pop up, or will at least be easier to ignore. And, a good way to do that is with excercise : )