Cocunuts

kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I’m unable to find Thai cocunuts in my city and can only find the brown hairy ones. I was able to open it and get the milk, but I can’t figure out how to get the meat out. Any suggestions?

Comments

• I’ve always had to basically “shave” it out. I have a very sharp curved blade that I use to shave & chunk it out. Rough and not so pretty but it worked. I’ve also seen people literally use a chisel and mallet.

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Here’s what I do:

-After draining the water, I smash the coconut into small pieces (at least 5 or 6) with a hammer or something hard.

-Pry the inner shell, which is lighter brown and thinner, from the outer shell on each of the pieces. (A screwdriver or cheap knife works well for this.)

-Lie the pieces so the shell is perpendicular to a cutting board and use a paring knife to carve off the meat.

-If there is any brown skin left on, I use a sharp vegetable peeler to peel it off.

It’s definitely labor intensive, but it’s really worth it! If you have a juicer, you can make incredible coconut cream and shredded coconut so easily!

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

My technique is just about the same as jenny’s! Practice makes perfect… I’m nowhere near perfect yet but I sure am a whole lot better since my first coconut! Each time gets easier and easier! :-)

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Use a serrated knife (one that is specifically for scooping out grapefruit sections) to scrape out the coconut meat once it is broken open.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i’ve found that a potato peeler works well to remove the inner brown skin. but be careful, its easy to cut yourself