avocados

delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

Avocado is such a lovely fruit. But I'm always afraid I might eat too much fat in my raw diet. Do you normally limit to 1 a day?

One the days that you eat avocado, do you also eat nuts or use oils?

I guess my question is - how do you know how much fat to eat? And if you eat lots of fruits like bananas, should you reduce fats dramatically? (like how 80/10/10 suggests?)

Comments

• Why are you so worried to limit your fat? If an average fat diet suits you, then follow it. There are too many people telling us that the only way to eat is their way and that if you stray, then it's bad. And, just as there are plenty of people who tell us we should eat 80/10/10, there are others who say that higher fat is fine.

I think the one advice that seems to be consistent through most diets (including raw) is that it's better to eat fruit alone since it digests more quickly (hence the other one that I do follow is not fruit and additional fat together but avocado and coconut are naturally fatty and so if you followed this rule to the letter, you'd end up having to avoid these wonderful, natural foods)

I would say just listen to your body, and do what works for you - experiment and don't feel restricted by rules (which are there to be broken otherwise we end up being so restricted and/or guilty - both terribly negative and unhelpful states!)

Personally, I eat avocados and find that one per day is enough, but I don't restrict because some one has told me too (as plenty of people do!) but because this is what works for me! I also eat nuts, seeds, coconut, coconut oil freely and when I feel like it. There are some days when I eat none of these, others when I eat more or less only fatty things - I listen to what my body needs and feed it with love!

• I agree with Sarah, listen to your body! If one Avo feels good, go with it. If more or less feels better, go with that :)

• delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

Ah thank you so much! This really helps!

Why am I so afraid of fat? I guess because I'm very impressionable, and when going raw a year ago, I read and listened to the gurus and experts. They have somewhat brainwashed my mind thinking too much fat is really bad for you. I know that the most true thing is to listen to my body and eat what I crave. Now I should just stay away from the experts and listen within.

I like to have something sweet after a meal. So I would eat bananas after a meal with avocado or fat, and my digestion seems fine. But if I eat any other fruits, poor digestion. So would it be okay for me (personally) to keep eating bananas as a dessert after a meal of fat?

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

delaluna, if the bananas don't bother you, then sure. i feel the same way!! after i eat an avocado salad, i always have a cup with a banana, some grapes, and berries.