Replacing Nama Shoyu and Apple Cider Vinegar

I am deathly allergic to soy and wheat, both of which are components in this ingredient - which seems to be in the tastiest recipes. Has anyone developed a clever combination to replace nama shoyu? I am happy to go on this quest, but was hoping someone had already made headway here so I don't have to reinvent the wheel :)

I'm also allergic to apples and am nervous about trying apple cider vinegar. Some allergies cause my eye sockets to swell and make my lupus flare, so I'm really gun shy. Rice vinegar works for me, but it doesn't sound raw at all.

Comments

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

Are you 100% raw? How long have you been raw? In most cases food allergies can disappear after a few years of 100% raw veganism.

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

I am just starting the diet and unfortunately not every day is a 100% raw day - or even vegan. I've never tried vegan and now I'm attempting raw and vegan :) I'm very good at altering my diet permanently (I had already cut out dairy, soy, corn, gluten, processed foods, preservatives, etc.), but I don't quite have the hang of raw yet. I'm going to keep trying until I get it right though. Just today I thought I was doing really well until I figured out the pistachios I was eating were roasted. Tonight I'm going to go through the recipes and write down recipes that are easy, and I need to figure out snacks to have on hand so I don't get desperate for calories and make a dumb food choice.

Long answer made shorter - I've been trying this diet for only a few weeks. I would love it if the allergies would disappear and I'm willing to stick with it to find out.

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

It is difficult to keep from snacking! Try to keep 'monomeals' on hand. Instead of spending time preparing meals, eat a few bananas or a handful of raw nuts. Save meal prep for a large lunch or dinner. When I first started Raw, I wanted to keep 'cooking' things I was used to. Now I am satisfied eating a pound of grapes! I went raw overnight, it wasn't easy! I would have a week of raw food and then find myself in a situation (holdays, get-togethers, roadtrips) with no plan. Its easy to revert back when your hungey and leave yourself with no options. Now I keep dried fruit or nuts in my purse and bring along a few peices of fruit. I was very inspired by Susun Schenk's book, The Live Food Factor. I haven't heard from others if they enjoyed the book, but it changed my attitude and my life.

Ciao!