Digestion

delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

Hi all, I have a little problem with my digestion and not sure if it is because of bad food combining or? A couple of years ago, I could eat dried nuts (without soaking) with dried fruits together and no problem. But now, as I progress more into raw eating, it seems that my digestion can no longer tolerate dried nuts with dried fruits. Is this because my digestion has improved or? Why am I more sensitive now than before? The other day I was eating some dried figs, and they give me terrible gas too. It seems my digestion is saying no to dried fruits even.

I guess my question is - the longer you eat raw, will your digestion become more and more sensitive? If so, is this a good thing?

I look at my family and friends - they can gob down large meals with beef, pork, fried stuff, bread, desserts plus coffee and have no problem. They even have a bit of fruits afterwards! Logically in comparison, whose digestion is more healthy? Mine feels like a "baby's stomach", so sensitive, actually preferring mono-food or simple food. Theirs feel like an "all you can eat gourmet buffet stomach".

Comments

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Please don't take offense, but are you drying the fruits yourself? If not, have you checked for sulfite content?

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

From what I have read and from personal experience, I find that the longer one goes high raw - 100% raw, the simpler the food needs to be for the bodies digestion. For years the human stomach has had to work really hard to digest cooked SAD food. When the body finally starts getting fresh live food in it's natural state it begins to "complain" or the distress of poor food combining becomes more recognizable, therefore noticeable to you.

Dehydrated fruits hold a very potent concentrate of sugar with little water content and nut are high in fat with little water content. When you mix the two together you get slower and harder digestion, which can sometimes lead to fermentation.

I personally believe that this sensitivity is a good thing. It means your body is no able to recognize and inform you of what is good to eat, when to eat it, and what to combine it with.

• delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

camiheartsraw - No offense, as far as I know, sulfur free.

Rawaholic - Thanks. You have confirmed what my heart has been telling me too. It's really ironic though. I feel like I have a baby's digestion now. Babies cannot tolerate most "adult - SAD" food either. Does this mean new born babes have perfect digestions or just weak digestions? Am I growing stronger or weaker? In my heart, I know the answer is STRONGER!

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I feel it is becoming stronger. I too have experienced your frustration. The more time goes by... the more sensitive my tummy gets. What I like about it... is that I feel my body talks to me and lets me know what's good and what's bad. It is no longer a cluster fuck of crap in my tummy that it's trying to process. It's sayin' "Hey...I'm diggin all the healthy stuff... now I would like it in a better form"

The thing I like best about this lifestyle is I feel I have an understanding of my body that most people will never have with their own. Our bodies talk to us in various forms and lets us know what we need. I know at all times what kind of food I need to consume and what kind of nutrients I need at any given time.

The downside... sometimes I just want to eat a trail mix I made with raw fruits and seeds. Damn it... why cant I just have it without it upsetting my tummy or something. I say Boo!

Cheers

• delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

"The downside... sometimes I just want to eat a trail mix I made with raw fruits and seeds." I hear you sister~

Lately I've been eating very clean... since I eat a lot of sweet fruits, I find myself staying away from nuts. Just to please my digestion! :) So far so good. But those recipe sites with those bars made of nuts, oils, dates... gotta stay away from~

Oh and the other day, I made a green smoothie from tahini, bananas and greens. Stomach was saying, "tahini with bananas, not a good idea for me~"

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I hear you delaluna. I'm not 100%, but since eating more raw my digestion complains a lot when I eat a poorly food-combined meal... especially nuts and fruit. Though, someone mentioned acidic fruits and nuts can be combined... I haven't tried it out.

• Make sure ur getting complete nutrients with the food ur eating. Easy to start lacking in things being new to raw. Can through ur body off. Like for instant, seaweed (minerals) , acidophilis (cultured food), hemp seeds (complete protien) ect. Changing up what ur eating, (not eating the same things everyday). Take suplements to help, spiralina, chorella, raw multi, minerals, greens ect. Takes alot of studying!:) But thats ok, best thing u could ever do.