Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Favorite Cold Weather Foods?

I'm so cold! What does everyone like to eat on cold days?? Thanks :)

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I switch from morning smoothies to hot chocolate. Here's one I like .http://www.goneraw.com/node/16323 I blend it until it is smooth and warm. I switch from salads to blender soups in winter and eat as much spicy food as I can.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i am totally freezing right now, too!! haha i just drank tea and am now wearing three shirts. my stepdad refuses to turn the heat on until november so i'll be freezing til then. i like eating avocados when i'm cold. i just had one actually and i feel great.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

joannabanana, last night I was SO cold and nothing was warming me up, so I took 2 really hot showers in order to stop shivering!

Avocadoes also help a little bit to keep me warm and herbal tea.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I oddly am never cold. not sure why. wear layers of clothing, and exercise outside in the cold.it's invigorating. and hot baths are great. if you exercise outside more you will become stronger and more resistive to the cold.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

RawKidChef, I run outside almost everyday, even in the winter when it's -15 degrees celcius outside. I'm usually ok during my run because I'm moving a lot, but I'm cold the rest of the day!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

do you exercise a lot throughout the day? you don't have to run all day, but walking 3 or 4 times a day for 20+ minutes might help.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I usually run when I wake up first thing in the morning becaue if I don't do it then, I might not have the time or energy to do it later on. Sometimes I might also exercise later on around 5:30pm, so I'm usually pretty warm when I move around but it's the "in between" times that I'm cold, especially after eating breakfast and lunch for about 1 hour. But I know that when the body is digesting food all the blood rushes to the stomach, leaving the rest of the body colder. I'm not a coffee or tea drinker, but now that the weather is getting colder I find myself having about 3 organic herbal teas a day at work just to stay warm.

• This forum just reminded me how cold I was :).... When I'm cold I make smoothies, with room temp fruit, and add a little nutmeg and cinnamon. It tastes lovely, and gives me a little bit of a warm feeling.

• Thanks everyone. I hate to be cold. I'm gonna check out that hot chocolate recipe (thanks daniefon) and see if i can find some blender soup recipes too.

Rawkidchef, I like your thoughts on working out outside to build up resistance to the cold. I think i will try hiking and biking this winter and see if it helps becuase I really don't like being cold and I think maybe i do shelter myself from it too much. Idk.

• FortuneFortune Raw Newbie

Low body fat can contribute to feeling cold all the time, so increase your omega 3 and 6 (hemp seeds, chia seeds, walnuts), and other healthy fats like avocado and coconut oil. Warming spices like ginger, cardamom and cinnamon can help too.

Also, feeling excessively cold or warm can be attributed to thyroid problems, and should be checked out by a Dr.

• to avoid being cold you can take some red pepper, ginger, cinammon and everything that is helping the cardiac system.

Hum good luck

• Cinnamon....

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

This thread is really interesting...I'm always, I mean always cold in winter. I drink herbal tea all day long to prevent freezing to death. My feet, and hands are like a pack of ice. Maybe the low fat theory maybe right, I will give it a try!

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

i exercise and eat bananas. i'll run in 10 degree weather with my vibrams just soakin' up that winter sun :)

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I workout everyday and I try to eat alot of bananas and fruits. I also just created a new soup recipe that I adore which uses raw sweet potatos. I posted it on my blog!

http://lilearthmuffin.wordpress.com/

• I'll have to try some of these soup recipes. It is beginning to get cold here.

The problem is, the last raw soups I tried, I hated.

I really hope I find one I love this winter!

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

I agree that low body weight can make you very cold all the time. My weight got very low one year, and I have never had such a horrible winter! I added healthy fats to my diet, gained some weight and now I probably suffer only as much as the average person living in a cold climate!

Mikifizzle- can't wait to try your soup recipe!

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I agree with short excercise throughout the day and warming spices: Sage, hot peppers, cinnamon, ginger tea, cardamom, black pepper, and such. Salt makes me warm.

I also have two really great ways of warming if all else fails: Cats. :)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I love cinnamon (in everything!) and this is a comforting breakfast:

http://goneraw.com/recipe/buckwheat-porridge

(I whizz in my blender until it's slightly warm.)

I've never really got into raw soups as my blender isn't really powerful enough to get it really smoothie. Thick soups make me want to gag.

• I would look into ayurvedic medicine. As I recall, they categorize foods into cold, hot, etc. Like cucumbers are a cold food, onions are a hot food. If you're cold, you may not be eating enough warming foods. It's important to eat according to your dosha. You can take a quiz on-line to see what your dosha is. I'm a pitta, so when I'm feeling out of balance, I'm probably eating too many "hot" foods. It would be worth looking into.

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

I just came across a cool tip to warm soups without worrying about getting them too hot to kill enzymes and not have to deal with the whole double boiler method...just heat the bowl til its hot to the touch, soup in and serve! I'm definitely going to try it this winter, I'm in northern Michigan and it gets COLD here! Cold soups on a -13 (F) day just doesn't cut it!

• Warm thoughts, layers, and asian ginseng.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Ha Ha, I agree with layers! I wear so many layers in the winter it takes me forever to get dressed! People always make fun of me because I'm always wearing so much clothes.

I drink a lot of herbal teas (I buy organic peppermint tea), and I put hot peppers in my tomato sauce that I make for my zucchini pasta. These thend to keep me warm.

• I always thought of cayanne pepper as warming, but found when I was taking cayanne pepper tea to help with varicose veins that it actually made me feel cold (and this was during the summer even). According to some articles on the internet (it's on the internet, so it must be true;-) the pepper actually has a cooling effect. That's one of the reasons that people in areas with spicy food and warmer temps (like, say Mexico) can work out in the heat all day. At least that's how the theory goes.

• RAWBLADERAWBLADE Raw Newbie

raw sex! :)

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

let me know how you like it :)