Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

eating raw fish sushi style

is this okay i have started eating sashimi everyday either salmon or makriel its raw fish just wondering if its okay to eat daily?

Comments

• what about prawns? (cooked ofcause) is the pollutition the same for all foods?

• Terilyn: Anybody who breathes air nowadays is consuming all sorts of environmental contaminants. So getting them from food isn't so unthinkable.

More importantly, health does not consist in eating exclusively raw plants. Health is more than the absence of disease and it certainly involves more than the body. I dare say that being able to enjoy food, such as fish, without worry about 'poisoning' or 'impurity' or 'contamination' or what have you is a sign of good health.

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

If you choose to eat fish, then yes, there are 'healthier' ways to go about it and there are some fish that are a better choice than others. For example, fish (wild caught is ALWAYS best...I wouldn't even considered farm-raised an option) that have fins and scales have a double filtering system and have lower levels of toxins that make it to their flesh. Some examples are: salmon, halibut, tuna, cod, mahi mahi, trout, tilapia, orange roughy, herring whitefish...I will eat fish occasionally (like maybe once every couple months when my dad is all proud of himself for not burning the uber expensive wild-caught Alaskan salmon they just splurged on=) but its definitely the exception, not the rule. And, most health experts that DO recommend eating fish, only recommend it once or twice a week, and usually if its incorporated into a high raw diet because then your body is operating at a level that is equipped to process the toxins that will be introduced through the fish. There are regions that are healthier than others to look for as well...for example...Alaska has far less pollutants near its waters than say China or Taiwan. You could do some further research to find out what areas are better as far as toxicity in their water levels.

Just one question...why are you concerned with consuming fish on such a regular basis...is it the fish oils or something else? If its the omega 3 oils...there are some excellent sources of fish oils that you can take without having to consume toxic fish everyday. Just a thought =)

• You should ABSOLUTELY NOT be eating this every day. I'm actually shocked that you think it's okay! If you are consuming wild - not farmed fish - you are consuming fish that is swims in waters contaminated with high levels of mercury, polychlorinated biphenyls, dioxins and other environmental contaminants. While the chances of you getting mercury poisoning are slim, you still are putting the CONTAMINATED FLESH of another living being in your body - a far cry from the clean, vegan raw foods that lead your body to optimal health. Farmed fish is considered even MORE dangerous as farmed fish on average shows levels of polychlorinated biphenyls about seven times higher than that of wild fish and the average dioxin level in farm-raised fish can be as much as 11 times higher than in wild. This = CANCER.

Dioxins are a product of "municipal and domestic waste incineration, burning fuels (wood, coal or oil), chlorine bleaching of pulp and paper and chlorinated pesticides manufacturing. The burning of many materials containing chlorine, such as plastics, wood treated with pentachlorophenol (PCP), pesticide-treated wastes, other polychlorinated chemicals (PCBs), and even bleached paper can produce dioxins."

Polychlorinated chemicals are "mixtures of up to 209 chlorinated compounds that do not occur naturally" and are listed as "reasonably anticipated to be human carcinogens" in the Eleventh Report on Carcinogens published by the National Toxicology Program, because they have been linked to increased rates of liver and skin cancers.

Even advocates of high-fish consumption say you should be eating WILD fish two to three times a WEEK and eating a variety of fish. Farmed fish should NEVER be consumed. Eating only two kinds of fish and eating them daily means you are exposing for body DAILY to all those horrible toxins. The toxins will eventually compound in your system and you'll find yourself dealing with health issues that are easily avoided if you just stick to vegan raw!

Can you read that and tell me that you think that fish is a healthy, raw way to good health?

Hope that helps!!! xx

• thank you guys so much and its true after having a eating disorder for 12 years i NEED to enjoy what im eating and have a few things i like without thinking im poising myself.

thanks juice i just need some more protein in my diet and more good fats so im thinking that fish is both wrpaed in one.

yer that is a thoughts too i sometimes do have the captsuals but i really love fish itself.

• Going off topic again :D

Isn't part of the point of eating organic, raw, vegan food to minimize the environmental contaminants we put it our bodies? Obviously we're ingesting some through our inorganic foods and polluted air but it seems silly to knowingly consume what has been proven time and time again (I'm mostly referring to farmed fish here) to be chock-a-block with junk. If we're eating "consciously," than how can we in good conscience consume it? Especially EVERY DAY.

And when I was referring to "health," I was referring to bodily health. I'm a firm believer in that sometimes you have to eat what's bad for your body because it's good for your sanity! But there is a difference in treating yourself to something crappy for your bodily health and digestion every once and awhile so that your mind and soul don't feel "deprived" of the non-raw things you love and consciously abandoning your bodily health every single day because you think something is yummy. If that was the case I'd be stuffing myself with gallons of hummus every day of my life :)

HAVING SAID all this if you're coming from an eating disorder, you should NOT be stressing what you eat! You should eat what you love and love what you eat and not worry about any of the stuff I've just spewed. Basically everything I've written is in response to a question of whether or not raw fish fits into the "principles" of the vegan raw diet (which, for me means internal body cleanliness and bodily health) and less about whether people should eat fish at all EVER. Fish does have some amazingly delicious benefits (protein and omega3s) and if you're finally starting to enjoy food after 12 years of NOT, then EAT IT!! xx

• Sorry if that's off topic:

(is there no quote button here? terilyn said the following:)

"The toxins will eventually compound in your system and you'll find yourself dealing with health issues that are easily avoided if you just stick to vegan raw!"

If only! I don't think all the pollution of the seas (that may make fish bad for us) stop from raw seaweed, all the pollution of the air and earth stop from our precious greens and fruits. Even raw "organic" vegans are not immune to exposing themselves to chemicals. =( That's why I think it's so important to be political and make a stand, because something has to change, and has to change fast.

Back to the topic: personally I think it depends on where you live. If you don't avoid fish for ethical reasons, you might want to check if you can get fresh fish from a lake or river near you (IF you know you live in an aera with non-polluted water.)

• beanbean Raw Newbie

Spekgirl, maybe this is a bit off off topic but toxins aside, I'm wondering about how raw fish fits into your idea of "raw vegan." Specifically the "vegan" part. I know there are people who consume raw fish and tout its health benefits, and I wouldn't try to convince them in any way that their particular way of life is wrong (though I may very, very strongly disagree) but posting about it on a website specifically for raw vegans (especially if the "vegan" part came first) strikes me as a bit... "inappropriate" sounds rude to me, and I don't want to offend you or anyone else. But my advice about eating raw fish is that it's not vegan, even if it is raw, and maybe should be posted somewhere more suited to it.

• Amen! Couldn't have said it better myself.

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

Just out of curiousity...how are people, especially those new to being raw, supposed to learn if we criticize their questions or act shocked that they dare to ask them? May I, please, just offer the friendly reminder that not everyone is at the level of awareness and understanding of the raw, vegan lifestyle that you may be at. When I first went raw, I went to friends from church and for dinner they offered me steak tartar! Why? Well, because it's raw, of course =) I just think that there may be gentler ways of embracing new people and guiding with a helping hand. If you have noticed spekgirl has asked many questions about health & diet, and I think she is at a point where she is searching for the "best fit" for her...I, for one, think she's been lead to this site in her search, and in so,, would rather answer her "off" question than make her feel unwelcome here or uncomfortable trying to decide what she is and isn't "allowed" to ask. I know I haven't been a member of this site for very long, but I have never gotten that vibe from here.

• oh man im sorry for my silly questions i do know that is not the best thing to eat but right now im so confused i dont know what is healthy ne more and i have been doing the 80 10 10 diet and not feeling well on it so im stressed :(

• i am not coming out of the closet and telling my friends i am raw. my friends would freak and then i would have no friends. i tell them my dog is going raw, cause the vet said so. there could be a lot of things in raw fish. i personally think you might want to consider being a 'cooked fish vegan' but hey, this is america, you can do what you want, and name things as you want. just get a trade mark on the name.

hugs minus the kisses

-trent

• I sometimes eat raw meat and fish. I don't think it goes against my "raw" lifestyle, and I make sure not to call myself a "raw vegan" in case someone would misinterpret me or be offended. I do this because of my particular health conditions and because this is what is best for my body. Everyone is different. If you choose to eat fish, WWF has put out a yes list. I think they even have one that is color-coded. Here it is...

WWF Fish "Yes" List

WWF's Fish "Yes" List helps you make smarter decisions when ordering seafood. Many fish species are threatened by overfishing. Our list outlines which fish currently have healthy populations and are acceptable to consume:

Halibut - Alaska/Canada

Striped Bass - Atlantic

Squid - Pacific "market"

Albacore - Pacific

Mahi-mahi

Rock Lobster - West Australian

Spot Prawn- West Coast U.S.

Dungeness crab

Caviar - farmed U.S.

Salmon - wild Alaskan

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I think you can be healthy (and healthier) without killing animals, so I see no reason to hurt other beings just for the sake of pleasure/taste/supposed nutritional benefits.

If you're doing 80/10/10, and eating plenty of fruit and greens, you should have awesome protein and fatty acid intake. Give yourself time to detox. You might not feel well for the first week. Keep with it. Poisoning your body further doesn't help the progress.

BTW, I think people who eat dead/killed fish start to smell like it; it seeps through their pores. NOT a nice smell. :/

• Dr Oz. recommends eating cooked salmon at least once a week so it's probably a healthy thing to eat. You can get more calcium by eating the bones in sardines. Also, Jesus cooked fish in the Bible.

HItler killed people. Does that mean, by your reasoning, we should do so, too? Or maybe we can read a book that says X happened and copy what they do or say in the book.

• Well, Jesus was the only man to live a sinless life and is Lord so he can hardly be compared to an evil sinful human like Hitler. And since he did not consider eating fish a sin, I don't see it as morally wrong. Killing humans is of course a sin.

Did you ever stop to think that using your religious beliefs as a basis for how you act in day-to-day life isn't a good determining factor for "right" and "wrong," especially considering how murderous the Christian "god" is?

i would encourage anyone to use logic to make decisions. please! if you don't have to kill, why in the world would you?

• I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned parasites yet! I don't mean to alarm you if you weren't aware of this, but animal flesh (especially raw or lightly cooked) is loaded with microscopic parasites and their eggs. Consuming more parasites is quite possibly the most detrimental thing you can do for your health. Not many things are worse than having an infestation of acidic creatures inhabiting your vital organs (intestines, liver, brain, skin, blood, etc.), leeching nutrients from every single thing you eat, and lodging themselves in tissue that is crucial in flushing toxins and processing your food in the first place. A lot of people seem to think that these are not a problem in the developed world, but they very much are. Nearly all humans have this problem. Of course, the medical industry, the meat/dairy industry, and the FDA would have a fit if people knew about this.

I suggest you look into it, and try out a parasite cleanse. Herbal medicine does wonders for this. You could also try eating common anti-parasitic foods like garlic, pumpkin seeds, carrots, pomegranate, oregano and turmeric. These parasites may be a large reason why you're not feeling great on raw in the first place. I urge you to lay off the fish (especially raw!) and any other animal products for that matter, and get your fat and protein elsewhere (hemp seeds! perfect balance of omega 3/6/9.) You wouldn't want to inherit another animal's poor health. Good luck!

• I had been a vegetarian for years and then 6 years ago I thought I was protein deficient and I started eating meat and fish although I find the idea of killing difficult. Before going raw I was advised by microbiologist/immunologist here in the UK first to stop eating foods that created a lot of histamine in the body as I had a lot of food intolerances and severe bloating . One of the things I was advised to stop eating was cooked fish ( never would eat raw ) that wasnt freshly caught owing to the histamine it starts to make ... apparently fish starts to go stale immediately even in the or in the freezer.... It had never occurred to me before that fish or indeed meat starts to go off a little before we eat it - I cannot face either now

Spekgirl thanks for asking the question.. I have learned from the discussion

• Mysterie, digestion does not work if there is a shortage of digestive enzymes or gastric acid. Bloating is a main symptom. Try taking either a 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar or a 1/2 cup of lemon juice; in a glass of water when you eat. This is like adding more gastric acid to your digestive system. Should stop the bloating. If not, you will need digestive enzymes.

-trent

• Can we keep the GOD discussions in the Christian section of the forum (I think it's labelled, "hello raw Christians"?) This site is supposed to be about discussion the RAW, VEGAN food and lifestyle and not about preaching the ethics behind eating animals and whether or not baby jesus thinks its okay.

• thanks Shellebell

I will try that ...although bloating less frequent since going mainly raw

I get indigestion with cooked food