Thai Coconuts in England?

Help! I always see wonderful looking recipes which call for young thai coconuts and I have never found them in England. Can anyone from England help with where I could order online or what kind of shops might stock them? I'm a 3 hour train journey from London so places there aren't really an option.

Comments

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Ask a local independant greengrocers if they can get them for you, asian grocers are good too. Mine gets me a case from the wholesalers whenever possible and emails me. Although I've been rubbish lately and there are some going mouldy in the garage as we speak. There is a supplier near Oxford I've looked into, if youre near. I'm not too far but its def out of the way. Delivery costs more than the coconuts... :o)

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Hi Clr! haven't been on here for ages! how is the raw going?

As for the young coconuts, I have given up on finding any outside of london and just don't uses these recipies or substitute something else ;-)

• FeeFee Raw Master

I agree with the Asian grocers. Im in Blackburn and thats where I get mine from. Tesco did go through a (short) phase of selling them but sadly no more.

• Thank you for your advice, I'm going to see if there are any Asian supermarkets around here.

Would substituting regular coconut be out of the question? I'm guessing it's the difference in texture of the flesh which is the problem.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

It does make a diff using mature or young. Mature is much more oily and so much harder it doesnt blend in the same way young do. So youre exactly right when you say its a texture thing.

I kept hassling my friendly green grocer and he got them! :o) I did say I'd buy a box though, norm 9. Its not so much of a problem keeping them now as its cold outside but the mould gets to them then.. I cant fit them in the fridge and besides they hurt my teeth if too cold!

If you can ever get to chinatown in Lon take a wheelie bag and stock up. I dont work in Lon any more but always do that if I go up for any reason, having pulled arms out of sockets doing the 5 in one bag, 4 in another thing! Besides whilst youre there you can find all sorts of interesting things, got some jackfruit and mangosteens one time so a trolley bag really is the way forward.

Have you tried young coconut before? If youre into raw anyway you'll prob love it, Its funny. It tastes different to me depending whether I'm high raw on not but they are the most delicious things in the world, I have a great recipe using the flesh to make noodles, if you want it, as I find you guzzle them all and get left with loads of flesh!

Worth bearing in mind with Tescos is they stock them green and unprepped, so theyre really difficult to open unlike the prepped ones. Also, when I got green ones from my grocer (as uposed to prepped, which he can sometimes get) they were TOO young, had no flesh, tasted weird (not sweet at all) and gave me stomach ache!

Good luck!