Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Too much spinach?

ktkt Raw Newbie

I have been growing alot of spinach over the past few months and juicing it everyday. it makes me feel really good however another raw foodie i know cautioned me to be careful cos having too much of anything (including greens) can lead to allergies. i have been thinking that juicing does allow me to consume alot more than i could 'naturally' so is this potentially too much of a good thing?

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

wow i had no idea about this allergy business. i eat 1 lb a day- it's the only green i actually enjoy. the interesting thing is that my lips have been swollen for the past 4 days! i have a spider bite on my arm that's been really swollen and i also have one next to my lip (which is probably the cause- ha) but it's something to look into about the spinach, or other foods in general.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I find that there is much conflicting and contradictory information on allergies - this being one of them. What causes food allergies is pretty much unknown, and there are a lot of 'old wives' tales.' I wouldn't let it bother you if you're feeling good and otherwise healthy!

• I don't think it's anything to worry about. You should probably rotate your greens but since you're growing them, they're free! I seriously envy you that, I live in an apartment complex, right in the middle of the courtyard with no patio or backyard, so no space AND no sunlight :(

Try adding in other greens and switching off what you're growing if possible, if it makes you nervous. It is possible to become allergic to foods but not from overeating them. If food particles aren't digested fully they can cause allergic reactions but you're juicing your greens so that pretty much eliminates even the possibility.

• ktkt Raw Newbie

Thanks so much all for responding to my question. I will try to rotate my greens a little but I feel assured by your comments.

• internettouristinternettourist Raw Newbie

I guess a bite would be swollen. But are they bites....a bite next to your lips? I have had lips that were big perhaps from me having more water...but never uncomfortably swollen. I'm 44 years old.

• FeeFee Raw Master

The only thing I would worry about maybe is that spinach is apparently high in oxylic (sp?) acid which if I remember correctly inhibits iron absorbtion. If you have it with citrus fruit though the iron is absorbed better. Enjoy yyour free juices.

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

Oxalic acid found in spinach, cabbage, swiss chard, kale etc...is one of the elements that contribute to the peristaltic motion...so too much may contribute to the "no fun runs", but I think you would have to eat an awful lot to get to that point. I've eaten a couple pounds of greens in a day and haven't had a problem yet. In its raw, organic state oxalic acid doesn't cause iron malabsorption, it does in its cooked/canned/processed form though. Raw, it combines with calcium, making them both easier to assimilate.

As far as an allergic reaction to it from eating too much, could it happen...theoretically, yes...will it happen...highly improbable. I don't think this should cause you too much concern. Eat/drink/blend your greens and enjoy! =)

• I keep hearing all this stuff about how you shouldn't eat raw spinach, but I've been eating it everyday and feel fine... should I be cautious?

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

Kombuchadiva- I know this is off topic but just wanted to mention that I also live in Sacramento :) If your ever down to have a raw potluck you should let me know. You can check out my blog at

http://www.myrawconsciousness.blogspot.com

Cheers!

• Doesn't oxalic acid + calcium = kidney stones.

http://revver.com/video/1138003/does-oxalic-acid-in-greens-cause-kidney-stones-128/

Watch this (one of the last questions), or as Kev says rotation is key.

Calcium oxalate dose aid absorption slightly yet not as much as amino chelation. Oxalation is more of a leeching mechanism and causes it to be passed from the body and in extreme cases a stone will form. As Kevin says in the video diary is a much more potent leacher, and calcium absorption will cause your head to explode if you try to actually understand it fully. But definitely rotate and don't worry about all this nonsense, unless you have an issue with it that is.