Refrigerating Young coconuts vs old brown coconuts

Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

My question is this. Why do young coconuts have to be refrigerated but not the old brown ones? and why do the young ones get bad and not turn into old ones????

This might sound strange to those who know but it just doesn't click for me. I am sure there is an obvious answer.

btw, my health food store no longer carries the young ones, where on the internet can i buy young ones that wont cost an arm and a leg????

Comments

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

Anyone??

• Hmmm, I was told that you shouldn't refrigerate young coconuts. I heard that because they are a tropical fruit that prolonged refrigeration could start to spoil it -- like bananas. I'm not sure which one of us heard the correct info. I'd be interested in hearing others answers as well.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

Changed the name a bit for the thread? still confused.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I refrigerate young coconuts since they're a very fresh food, whereas brown coconuts are almost like a dried food. However, eventually the young ones will go bad. I would estimate they keep about 3 weeks in the fridge.

If you have a fairly decent-sized asian grocery store near you, they probably carry the young'uns. Mine sells a box of nine for between $7 and $10 depending on the sales that week. No, they aren't organic: beggars can't be choosers.

• NyahzNyahz Raw Newbie

That's a pretty great price! The cheapest I've been able to get is $1.50 each in the asian markets near me.

Here is the only online source I've ever found:

http://www.rawguru.com/store/raw-food/organic_green_coconuts.html

but WAY too expensive for meeee. If you use mostly the coconut water, you're better off going on Amazon for zico, or O.N.E. coconut water. They go on sale fairly often, or you can do their Subscribe and Save program. Because they have free shipping, it's much more worth it than lugging everything home from Whole Foods or something. hope that helps =)

• Suasoria, I am sooo jealous!!!! You're saying that you can get 9 coconuts for 7-10$, here in London (UK) I am paying 2