Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Soy Milk?

Hey all,

Has anyone ever tried making their own soy milk? I don't drink it usually, but I live in a cooked vegan household and we buy soy milk a lot. I wonder if making soy milk would be similar to making nut milks? Would the beans have to be cooked first, or could I just sprout them and then blend them? Suggestions would be great... just trying to think of ways to save money by making my own food :) Thanks, Emily

Comments

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I have made my own soy milk before!

I am actually posting a tutorial about this soon on my blog, its not completly raw though, since you have to soak then let the beans simmer on the stove. That was the way I made it. From my readings I havent been able to find a way to make truely raw soy milk. If you find a way let me know!

http://lilearthmuffin.wordpress.com/

• Cool, thanks! I'm looking forward to trying it, even if it's not raw. I'm also going to try making tofu too :)

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I personally do not consume or support the soy industry and would love to see others follow in that direction! The soy industry is as bad as the corn industry if not worse! You should dabble in other nut milks. Easier and better for you!

Cashew milk is awsome or even fresh raw almond milk. Just soak almonds overnight then blend with a sufficient amount of water and bam. Almond milk!

Cheers!

• I agree, soy = bad....I much prefer some yummy Almond Milk whenever a milk is needed. I also like Hemp Milk for smoothies and such. Although Ive never made my own, only Almond or Cashew Milk. hhhhmmmmmm

• do some searches on soy..

their is allot of conflicting info but i've dug long and hard and feel that i'd rather just stay away from unfermented soy.

do some research on the protein inhibitors in soy.

nut milk is great and pretty easy to make.

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

I think the only soy I touch, and its on rare occasions is tempeh, otherwise, I, too would recommend staying away from anything soy. I love raw almond milk, but have never had the chance to try hemp milk. I'll have to look into that, see if I can find a way to make it myself. (Raw almond milk+frozen bananas+blender =yummy "milk"shake)

• ktkt Raw Newbie

i have heard alot of negative stuff about soy but i am wondering if that is propaganda backed by the extremely powerful /rich dairy industry? however, a couple of you sounded really sure about this so i am thinking that there may be something more to it than that.

i think that spouted raw soy milk would be really full on in taste but i think it is a really good idea and perhaps something i will try mixed up with almond milk.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

raw soybeans are a worse problem than cooked ones, kt! people usually don't eat them unless they have fermented because they contain a lot of toxins. i'm not sure how good fermented soy milk would taste though. eeekkk.

here's an article on the negative effects of soy:

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

Matt_Raw
  • LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

i just want to throw in my to cents on the soy issue. there are many conflicting studies on soy as with anything available for sale today. Some tout soy as a super food, others think of it as mucus forming and harmful. While too much of anything can be detrimental to ones health I personally feel that it is okay to include some soy into your diet. Compared to the other overly processed, sugar and chemical laden foods that you can consume, I believe that it is better to eat a couple pieces of organic tofu than say a slice of pizza.

In the end it is really what works for YOU and YOUR body. Do not let any one elses opinion affect your own. If you feel good eating soy products, then do so. If you feel like your diet would be better without them, leave them out.

Thats just my opinion :)

http://lilearthmuffin.wordpress.com/

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

i agree that soy is bad. however, if you are desperate, there is a brand of non raw cultured soy milk with probiotics that tastes really good, almost better than regular soy milk. I used to buy it a little bit. It comes as a powder which you shake up with water to create a milk. here is the link:

http://www.bestlifeint.com/

and you can get sprouted tofu here:

http://www.pulmuonewildwood.com/plain.asp

yes....I am the believer that you need to do what makes you feel good. I however, get cankles ( I shit you not ) and hormonally charged like you wouldn't believe. For me it is bad business!

The thing about soy is its not in the ranking of other over processed foods. IT is one of the MOST processed food there is making it a less desirable choice. My point in this whole discussion is to simply not make milks out of it so it's not a staple in your diet. I myself plan on having soy products for Thanksgiving so I have no room to talk BUT just dont think its good in general. One thing that will never be taken away from me is my Thanksgiving Dinner!

:)

http://www.myrawconsciousness.blogspot.com

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Try banana milk?

Matt_Raw

banana milk's great! I've had that before.

• as i sit here eating a banana nut pudding... banana milk!.. that sounds yummy....

heh... I just had a glass of banana milk with shaved coconut in it. Yum!

Banana milk! Doah! Why haven't I made banana milk?!?!? LOL, I make the banana "milk"shakes for a treat ya think that at some point it would have hit me to take it one step further and just make banana milk! Ugh...this one deserves another "DOAH!"

ilive...you might be getting hormonally charged from soy because it mocks the estrogen in your body creating havoc on your hormonal balance...LOL the cankle thing is beyond me, I can't even venture a guess for that one. Sorry!

• how do you make banana milk?

just blend bananas and water. find the right amounts that suit you. you might like it thicker or thinner so experiment with the amounts of water.

Last night I went searching for a good recipe for 'nana milk and found this one...tried it with our lunch today and LOVED it:

Creamy Banana Milk:

1 quart distilled water

1/2 ripe banana

1/2 - 1 cup raw sunflower seeds

3 Tbsp organic raisins or 4-5 dates ( I used organic golden raisins because I didn't have any dates on hand)

Soak sunflower seeds overnight, and drain. Place all ingredients in blender and blend for aprox 2 minutes. For a thicker milk, add more banana.

It was really easy and I always have those things on hand, raw sunflower seeds is one thing I can get in my town without having to order and drive an hour away to get! I will be making this again, for sure!

Matt_Raw

Yah, its all that estrogen that hella gets me wacked out. Apparently my body is telling me I have PLENTY!

Cheers!

http://www.myrawconsciousness.blogspot.com

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I've got no problem with soy, but I truly prefer almond milk - and it's SO EASY with the Vitamix. Plus I finally got a nut milk bag, which I don't know why I didn't buy years ago.

ClaireTTammiTrue
  • TallitTallit Raw Newbie

Dr Joel Fuhrman is considered one of the authoritarians on nutrition in the world.

https://www.drfuhrman.com/learn/library/articles/104/dont-fall-for-the-myths-about-soy

• TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

Don't forget about coconut milk! It's raw, comes directly from the fruit, and doesn't require any work on your part (other than getting the coconut open which can definitely be work). 

I mix it up between milk from traditional coconuts and the richer Thai coconuts. 

Matt_Raw