Worried about Poor Circulation

sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I believe I have a problem with poor circulation, especially my hands. They are always freezing and I'm worried that I'm deficient in something.

I know quite a few people here say they are cold a lot, but it's normally just my hands that are freezing, the rest of my body is ok. I didn't have this problem before going vegan/high raw.

Do you think it could be an iron or B12 issue?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Even if it's not a B-12 issues you should be taking B-12 anyway. However, I have the same problem with cold hands and it's always remedied by cardio. Getting your heart rate up is really important for circulation. Take a walk, run, bike or something and warm up!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Yeah, I've been thinking about looking at B12 supplements.

As for cardio, I am a keen runner and run over 7km at least 3 times a week. I also do various other classes and enjoy yoga and pilates too.

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

It could definitely be a B12 issue. B12 is very important for circulation and nervous system function. I notice I have circulation problems if I'm not taking eough B12 or I'm out of alignment. If I'm out of alignment, it occurs more in one limb than the others. Deficiency is hands/feet - no one in particular. I get raynaud's from my lupus (my blood vessels are hyper-reactive to cold and close down when exposed leading to blue/white fingers and toes), and it's less acute when I'm taking B12 shots. My husband helps give them to me at least twice a week. Sublingual supplements are probably sufficient for most.

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

sv3- since your a runner I thought I would ask you! Do have any experience with hip or knee pain when running and if so how do you deal with it. I have hip bursitis and am desperate to run again. I haven't been able to run in over 1.5 years and am desperate to get back to the pavement (or at least my treadmill)

As for your question, I struggle with the same issue. I have had poor circulation since I was a teen. I was a dancer from the time I was a child into my adult life. A Doctor had a theory that since I was so rough on my body with the dancing it caused severe spider veins and maybe my veins just cant recover from it. Sucks. I am 30 and the back of my legs look like a 60 year old. I havent worn shorts or short skirts for 15 years. I am finally saving to have them removed!

I am going to start taking b12 although for different reason. Dont think it will help out much in the circulation dept. but want to give it a whirl and see what it does for me. I am a firm believer that you need to try things to see if they work. People can offer advice but you are your best guinea pig :)

Cheers!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

sv3, i've had cold hands and feet (actually, my whole body is cold!) for my whole life. i always sleep in 2 bathrobes haha and am covered in a blanket at home. do you know what your body temperature usually is?? most people it's 98.6 but mine has always been 96.8 for some reason- i just contribute my coldness to that. i don't think it's something to be worried about though.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

At some point, you might want to consider a cleanse. When first starting on a high raw, the absence of cooked food will likely make you feel colder. It's possible there's some plaque buildup in the arteries and veins from years on eating the SAD. After some time on a high raw and a cleanse, circulation will likely improve.

You can use warming herbs and spices like garlic, ginger, cayenne, cinnamon, black pepper, etc., to help with circulation. I hear ginkgo biloba is also helpful.

Blessings,

Andrew

• be careful with the b12 and how you take it - not that shots or pills will harm you, but the reason many people (not just veggies or vegans, many meat-eaters, too) are deficient has more to do with absorption and re absorption than intake. Try increasing fermented foods and probiotics to increase the healthy flora, which should help... A cleanse should help, too, just in case your insides are mucky and can't absorb nutrients as well. Hope that helps. :)

In my experience, raw food - especially lots of greens - has made me warmer - I used to be chronically cold, too. Keep with it. :)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm definitely going to look at a good B12 supplement.

iliveyourdream, I've been very lucky in that I've never suffered any serious injuries or problems from running so I'm afraid I don't have any advice I could give. I have read about various people who have found that raw has helped heal old injuries and they've been able to return to the activities they'd had to give up.

I love running though so totally understand your frustration at not being able to get out there.

joannabanana, I haven

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

This comment is for Andrew....

Do you have a blog anywhere or anything. I have just noticed that I really enjoy reading everything you have to write. You seem very knowledgeable in raw foods. I would love to read your back story and find out whats gotten you into raw foods. How it all came about and such. Are you on any other forums or anything. Ones that allow comments or specific communications?

Keep me posted. It's always a pleasure!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

iliveyourdream-I had awful ankle, knee, hip and back pain from running and almost stopped but decided to do barefoot running and it has totally changed my life. Give it a try!

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

This is actually a topic that I am really interestead in. I have cold hands too and I often find my noes is cold. I wonder if it is a deficency but my tests came back high in everything. I mentioned it to my doctor and he said maybe it is a lack of warmed foods in my diet. I dont know what to think...

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Yeah, I've previously put being cold down to the lack of warm food in my diet, but as I'm only at about 80%ish raw I don't think it can be that. My other thought was that my overall body fat has dropped and this may have tipped the balance. The thing is that whilst my body is normally ok, my poor hands are always freezing which is why I now think it could be a circulation issue.

I haven't had any tests so don't have a clue if I'm lacking something.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

iliveyourdream: Thank you for the kind words. I'm sorry, but I don't have a blog, at least not yet! However, I have just updated my profile with a little more information about myself.

Blessings,

Andrew

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

I used to be incredibly nesh, always had cold hands and feet.

After being high raw for around 18 months this changed and now I cope much better with cold temperatures, and hot temperatures. My body's mechanisms for staying at a constant temperature seem to be in much better working order than all of my friends.

I dry skin brush every day and find that this has helped circulation (as well as give me beautifully soft and smooth skin).