Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Homemade baby foods

rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie
in Family

Have any ideas on homemade baby foods.

im really needing some help here............

thanx

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Blended fruit?

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

I make all my own baby food. I have an eleven month old son, I still nurse him on a regular basis I use either my food processor or Champion juicer. I started with organic carrot juice around 6 months, and I only give it to him after he has nursed, so that I know he's not getting full on just the carrot juice. (I do one part very well strained carrot juice to 2 parts distilled water), and I introduced small amounts at a time. Through the last 5 months I have introduced (one at a time to allow for food intolerances to be made known) raw apple sauce, mashed peaches, papaya, avocado, ripe bananas, mango, green smoothies (frozen banana, a different green every time, and enough water so its well blended and blueberries and 1 tsp coconut oil) Now that he is old enough for finger foods I do give him organic dry whole grain toast cut into small squares (no butter...once in a great while raw jam), soaked dehydrated fruits and cut up soft veggies (like zucchini...he LOVES raw zuchinni and cukes) peeled and cut up into bite-sized pieces. I haven't given him any cooked foods, and I usually don't until closer to the 2nd year, after I am done nursing. I stay away from citrus and acid-y fruits like tomatoes, oranges, grapefruit etc... because I have read it can wear down the enamel in new teeth. After my babies are weaned, I also do small amounts of raw grain cereals (soaked overnight and then blended with bananas and water or raw almond milk til thin) Teething tip (not sure how old your baby is) but the frozen core of a mango makes an awesome teething ring!! All my babies have LOVED this, and then there's no fears about what kind of plastic or materials the baby is chewing on! Hope this helps a lil, let me know if you have any more questions =)

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

awesome, thanx for the help!

• I didn't make homemade babyfood when I had my daugher, but I think I would if I every have another baby. I would try pear- it seemed the easiest to digest for my daughter. It was her first "solid" food besides "watered down" rice cereal.

• I think the first thing I gave my baby was watermelon when she was 6 or 7 months old, when she started showing interest in food. Sometimes I would mash up banana with avocado, or blend up some fruit, like eecho said. Then I started getting more fancy with my Vitamix and made soups for her. I actually have some recipes on my site if you want to get some ideas: http://thegardenbaby.com/Raw_Vegan_Baby_Food.html

• For what it's worth, check out baby led weaning: http://www.baby-led.com/. I try to do this with my son. Basically, the idea is to wait until at LEAST 6 months, if not longer, until your baby shows real interest in food, and then just offering wedges and bites of food to play with / put in their mouths, without stressing about how much they eat or that they need to finish a jar or whatever, just letting them explore the different tastes and textures on their own and at their own pace. This is really ideally suited to raw foods! Make sure to also offer some fat, because babies need a higher fat diet than adults b/c of the development of the nervous system. I would give my son less than fully ripe avocado (so it's not too slippery to grab).

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

yea i didnt introduce food til 11 months.... baby led def.

• For what it's worth, check out baby led weaning: http://www.baby-led.com/.

I cannot open that page :(

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I have a seven month old and her absolute favorite food is mashed avocado. Loves it.

• You ladies have such great advice. I didn't make my sons food but plan making my daughters when she is ready. Can any of you recommend a good vegetarian cook book for kids foods to make sure I am fulfilling all dietary/nutritional needs for my kids? Son is 3 and baby is almost 4 mo. only BF for now though.

• Juicefastfan, your ideas sound fabulous...well done...and clever idea about the mango pit...

I lOVE this feeding your babies raw food: why not? puree down to mush, and that's good for everyone...so simple, cheap, and healthy:)

• My daughter is now 1 1/2 and was all raw for the first year. We started her our on banana and avocado. I then started supplementing her foods with ground sunflower, hemp, and flax seeds, spirolina powder, flax or hemp oil, and seaweeds like dulse. She is older now and eating almost everything vegan. She just tried dehydrated flax seed crackers for the first time and loves them. We put a lot through the homogenizer for her, especially squash and carrots. It is hard to get her to eat greens unless we blend them with something she really loves, like cherries.

• emmy401emmy401 Raw Newbie

There is nothing more rewarding than seeing your child growing healthy on home-made food. Food that is made with care and love at home is going to be, many times better than the junk available on the market. Store-bought baby food formula will never hit the mark as long as you are making combinations of baby food at home.

• polina22ppolina22p Raw Jr. Leader

What can you say about food for a period of 5 weeks?

• renib Deletedrenib Deleted Raw Newbie

Too bad - I cannot open any of the links above!

• ronda Deletedronda Deleted Raw Newbie
    emmy401 said:

There is nothing more rewarding than seeing your child growing healthy on home-made food. Food that is made with care and love at home is going to be, many times better than the junk available on the market. Store-bought baby food formula will never hit the mark as long as you are making combinations of baby food at home.

Hey there,

I think it is a very good idea to feed your baby with home made food. I wasn't able to breast feed in the beginning so I did supplement the feeding with organic formula, we had to use the goat milk formula from organicbaby.la/holle-organic-formula due to some allergic conditions. However the older our baby grows the more I try to prepare everything I gave her at home and from organic products. It's not always easy but I like the idea and as you were writing it is amazing to see your baby grow into a healthy toddler!

Yours Ronda

• ronda Deletedronda Deleted Raw Newbie
    renib said:

Too bad - I cannot open any of the links above!

unfortunately me neither!

• juddyjuddy Raw Newbie
    ronda said:
    emmy401 said:

Hey there,

I think it is a very good idea to feed your baby with home made food. I wasn't able to breast feed in the beginning so I did supplement the feeding with organic formula, we had to use the goat milk formula from myorganicformula.com/collections/holle-organic-formula due to some allergic conditions. However the older our baby grows the more I try to prepare everything I gave her at home and from organic products. It's not always easy but I like the idea and as you were writing it is amazing to see your baby grow into a healthy toddler!

Yours Ronda

Yes, this is how I see it too. It was hard for me in the beginning when other mothers were talking to me because I was formula and not breastfeeding.

Now I'm really looking forward to start feeding solids. Having a baby and see them grow is really amazing. Exhausting too sometimes ;)

ClaireT